Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 09-25-2005, 11:37 AM   #1
pudlepirate
Registered Member

Default Re: Twists, Turns and Trouble

first post, now I will read the article.
pudlepirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-25-2005, 11:46 AM   #2
pudlepirate
Registered Member

lets hear it for safety gear!
pudlepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 11:47 AM   #3
Crzygoat
Founding Member

Damn you!!!!!!!!!!!!! JK! I've never heard of this place before, is it really that good? Are squids in regular attendance riding way beyond their skills in typical squid fashion and doing inside passes? Or can we expect some common sense with the general crowd riding there? I'd like to give it a try, sounds like a great ride!

With regards to the locals whining, I think it's BS how everyone pays tax dollars to pave roads to ride/drive on, then the locals living there get to call shots with "extra crackdowns" and hanging from nutz complaints of "loud engine noise" and "fear of my life due to getting hit by a motorcyclists".

If the locals want plush mountainside scenery and serenity, let them go buy some time share at a log cabin; everyone pays for the roads and everyone should be able to ride on them whenever they please, regardless of engine noise.

That is all.
Crzygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 11:56 AM   #4
boru4761
Registered Member

ok. seriously. Is it Puddle Pirate, Poodle Pirate or Pud Le Pirate?

Inquiring minds want to know.
boru4761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 12:04 PM   #5
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Sounds like a few motorcycle cops with laser/radar guns could fix this issue (with a chopper on stand by for the runners). I like how the cops announce that in October they will have another go at it.

"It basically amounts to inexperienced squids on Japanese sportbikes are wadding up on curvy roads." Sounds like the AMA should support the idea of a graduated license system. Before the guvment decides to ban sportbikes...
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 12:05 PM   #6
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

By the way I meant helicopter not chopper as in Orange County Chopper.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 12:28 PM   #7
rmdower
Founding Member

This is really the important part of this story, and I quote

"Despite frequent crashes, there have not been any motorcycle fatalities on the mountain in the past three years, Lucia said. He credits the protective equipment most thrill seekers wear."

I just rode Palomar South grade on Tuesday, and it was beautiful and desolated. No knee dragging for me. i was calmly pushing my beast of a Hayabusa around the curves. it was so beautiful, and there is an unsecured wireless access point at the observatory. I'm such a geek!

rmdower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 12:30 PM   #8
wayback
Founding Member

Gee squid, how about if some friends and I decide to drag race up and down the street where you live any night when we have some spare time? Make a little noise, make it a little scary to try and ride a bike down your street, tell you to f*** off 'cause it's our street too. Think you'd enjoy that for more than 15 minutes? Seems like people like you always find it easy to see what your "rights" are and can never see that the other guys have some too. Besides, if you live long enough to grow up, you're going to discover that, one way or another, you're one of the "locals".
wayback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 12:38 PM   #9
sconley
Founding Member

Default Hmmmmm...

It starts with what sounds alarming:

"Every warm-weather weekend, there are two reported accidents, on average..."

Later the truth comes out after the average reader lost interest:

"According to fire department records, there have been 26 reported motorcycle injury accidents on the mountain this year. In 2004, the figure was 23. In 2003, 26..."

So according to my math, that's about .5 reported accidents per weekend? But I guess decimals just don't have the same impact as whole numbers while citing a statistic, as they are perceived as statistically insignificant... I'm sure if you took the amount of riders on Palomar and compared the accident rate per man-hour of distance travelled on similar roads across the country, you'd have an accident rate that is nearly identical, and thus this story is complete BS. Thankfully, we have reporters to shape our opinions, and any good reporter knows how to bend the rules a little bit... I guess the "warm weather" thing provides the latitude to make up BS that creates a bigger story than there really is; it sounds significant while still clinging to a thread of "scientific fact." This just supports my belief that 73.49% of all statistics are made-up on the spot.
sconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 01:38 PM   #10
imported_g_k
Registered Member

Default Re: Hmmmmm...

One sentence refers to accidents, the other injury accidents, so it's possible that they're both correct. I read the article in this morning's paper and I didn't think it was overly alarmist, and anyway, the CHP don't make a big deal out of Palomar very often (based on what I've read - I always take the other road up, and I've never seen a cop).

I'd be awfully surprised if the accident rate "per man-hour of distance travelled on similar roads across the country" is nearly identical, but I don't have any statistical information to support my opinion.
imported_g_k is offline   Reply With Quote