Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 09-26-2005, 03:30 AM   #21
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Twists, Turns and Trouble

longride and I actually got to plot the flame war in person because he was just out here. We went for a nice geezer glide tour on some perfect roads.

I couldn't find any cornfields for him though so he was feeling kind of homesick!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2005, 04:42 AM   #22
pdad13
Founding Member

God, no, not speed cameras. Pretty soon they'll be putting them everywhere in the name of "safety," even though they'll really be putting them where they know they can make the most revenue. Like ATMs for your local authorities.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 04:45 AM   #23
pdad13
Founding Member

Yeah, I was surprised that the squids actually wear gear. I'll give them that much credit. They're actually smarter than the squids here. Not saying much, but it's something.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 06:01 AM   #24
ofreen
Registered Member

Gad. I remember years ago when the idea about putting cameras on street corners was first bandied about and many people pooh-poohed it as never happening in America - land of the free and all. I figured if cameras did go up, they wouldn't last long as they would be vandalized in short order by an outraged populace. Man, was I naive. They are everywhere now, and so small they are undetectable. There are so many people like SRMark that not only accept the idea of automated surveillance, but actively promote it, that it will become even more pervasive. Every year that goes by proves more and more what a genius Orwell was. And his warning will apparently make no difference.
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 06:02 AM   #25
johnnyquest
Registered Member

"They're great, fun roads, suffering from too much popularity and inexperienced riders."

I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm in the minority, I'm older and a newbie.....but it seems to me that alot of sportbike riders, old and young, new and experienced, are only concerned with getting up the mountain as fast as possible. I've seen it here at Mt Lemmon. I wish the younger and inexperienced riders would realize what I've come to realize: You can ride a great mountain road within the speed limits and still have fun. To me, the technical challenge alone is very rewarding. Picking the right line, the right entry speed, on the throttle through the corner.....I'd rather ride a technically perfect ride up the mountain than try to break any speed records.

And why even write a story about this? The article says that no one's died up there this year and that most are wearing riding gear, so what's the point? I bet there's just as many people driving sports cars up there but they don't mention that....

I'm already noticing in my first year of riding that media coverage of motorcycle accidents far outweighs that of automobiles. It's like the media equates riding motorcycles to flying light aircraft....when a private plane goes down it's instant news, if someone crashes their pickup and goes to the hospital you probably won't hear or see anything about it. I think it's human nature, people like to see other people who do dangerous things get hurt.

JQ
Old 09-26-2005, 06:44 AM   #26
Tigercub
Founding Member

Yea, I hate this bastard that lives in my alley, he starts his loud F***'N harley up at 6:00 in the morrning and revs the engine a bunch for like 10 mins just sitting in the alley, where it reverberates off all the walls like crazy.

I can't stand it either and I ride a Harley. If you don't know, these guys are little boys who like to make noise. Anyone who has studied these motors knows that you need some back pressure to make the torque curve fat at anything below about 80% of redline. Wide open pipes on Harley's only work for motors running above stock redline. Now maybe they dumped $6k into their motor so that when it's loud it is also running at stock HP. They're obnoxious and idiots and don't know much about the machine they're riding.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 06:51 AM   #27
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Actually, I only get homesick when I can't ride by the Joliet Prison.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:54 AM   #28
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Soon, life for all of us will be one big "Truman Show".
Old 09-26-2005, 06:58 AM   #29
Tigercub
Founding Member

It's been awhile since I've ridden up to Mt. Palomar. But, as I remember it the last 15miles to the top is very twisty and steep. There are a number of decreasing radius turns, many hairpin turns and then just to screw you up good, straight bits that let a sportbike get up to speed between the tight turns.

This road is also heavily traveled by cars because it is an access to several destinations.

So you have a bad mix. I'm sure the locals complain because motorcyclists are passing on the double yellow and making for some close calls. The accident rate is high because - and I don't care how many track days you do - a blind turn is a blind turn and any car coming from the other direction in your lane gives you little margin for error. If you want to survive riding this road go slow and watch for cars!!

Tip #1. Take it a piece at a time. When you reach a stretch where you can see where oncoming traffic is for several turns then have fun on the corners up to where you reach that traffic.

Tip# 2. Too much traffic in your lane? Find a turnout and pull off. Wait for the biggest gap between the last car that passed and the next one coming up. That gives you a zone of brisk riding before you catch up to the family van.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 07:03 AM   #30
seruzawa
The Toad

Just shoot your pistol in his general direction every once in a while. It'll be just like home.