Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 09-21-2005, 07:21 AM   #21
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Chinese take out again?

Maybe they'll slap Benelli stickers on those Jawa knockoffs the Mongolians ride now (instead of camels).

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-21-2005, 08:47 AM   #22
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: Chinese in. Italians out.

rice cakes?
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 09:47 AM   #23
yellowduc_1
Founding Member

Laugh if you want about what the chinese own. The local WWII era Geneva steel plant is merrily on it's way to the mainland. They own more of the automotive aftermarket than I care to think about. All you need to do is start looking at COO stickers . Makes you wonder about the future.
yellowduc_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 09:54 AM   #24
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

See my previous response to Dr. Seruzawa on the steel/cement plant deal.

And they've been buying US debt in the form of t-bills for about two decades now, so they pretty much own us.

Almond chciken anyone?

Personally I don't care if they take over, maybe they'll stick all the LA Gang members in some gulag manufacturing Benellis.

Feed 'em fish heads. And bullets.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:54 AM   #25
seruzawa
The Toad

Maybe. But as long as the Chinese maintain a communist internal economic system I'll not worry about them defeating any free enterprise economies any time soon. It wasn't too long ago that the tiny island of Taiwan had a larger GNP than the billion-plus population of mainland China. Never yet has a communist economy done much more than barely feed itself. China's growing economy indicates a diminishing of internal communist repression.

If they become truly prosperous then they won't be a threat any more. Funny how that works.

I wouldn't convert my dollars to yuan just yet.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:06 AM   #26
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Mmmmm. Chinese take out... Cafe' Kim Rules!

I prefer Mongolian Beef, myself. And the Vietnamese soups there are to die for.

Geneva Steel was bound to fail because the plant was too ancient. Bad mangement and regulation killed it, not the "unfair foreign competition" that the apologists like to blame everything on.

In the 60's a lot of people were worried that the Arabs would take over the US because we were buying so much oil. Instead we discovered that when someone owns a lot of dollars they become reluctant to see those dollars become worthless.

And even if the Chinese own a lot of dollars they can only redeem them here anyhow. Unless you believe that anyone who had the greater part of their wealth in dollars would purposefully destroy those dollars. Well, maybe a few people would but fortunately US University Professors don't have that many dollars.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:18 AM   #27
maladg
Registered Member

20 years ago everybody was scared $whitless that that Japan, Inc., was going to own all of the USA starting with Hawaii. Even the usual sober, insightful Michael Crighton fell for that one (remember that awful book & movie with Sean Connery & Wesley Snipes?). Then we all found out that the Japanese currency was mightly mismanaged and the near death spiral of deflation took off there.

Now it's China....blah, blah, blah. The Chinese economy's central bank aint a lot sharper than the Japanese....potential big trouble for them ahead. And I think the Chinese are running an even worse enviro policy than the old Soviets...more potential trouble for them...

5-10 yrs from now - the cycle is speeding up as we (as Ray Kurzweil sez approach "The Singularity"), ya'll 'ull be a-whinin about India....

Oh, and the Chicoms will be out of power in 4-6 yrs. Anyone wanna take that bet?

This branch of the Kommentariat is now closed for the day - I ran out of ellipises.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 12:00 PM   #28
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Mmmmm. MSG & record debt...

The Mongolian BBQ on Manchester & Airport is a favorite.

I'm not arguing the point behind why cement-steel mill are being sold, dismantled and shipped. The Chinese are buying, and we're ready to sell. It's the eclipse of an emipre (ours). Some say a "fattening for the slaughter".

Curchill once said he disliked the Russians because they had an "Oriental streak of cruelty". Considering Mao and his minions made Hitler look like a piker, we ain't seen nothin' yet.

And what happens to our econmy if the Chinese all of a sudden dump the mighty greenback for the Yuan? Divest all those T-bills? I know it sounds crazy, but we don't understand the patience of a people, who would wait generations to vanquish an enemy. Hang us by a rope of our own manufacture (debt & consumption).
Old 09-21-2005, 12:11 PM   #29
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Mmmmm. MSG & record debt...

Speaking of Mao I always find it very amusing that Hollywood milquetoasts get far more upset over a few actors losing their jobs (McCarthy hearings) than the tens of millions of people the Soviets and Maoists slaughtered.

As far as the current Chicoms go, no one can predict the future except in terms of the past. The record of commies at taking down the US (or any prosperous nation) is pretty abysmal so far so I'll still put my money on the USofA.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:40 PM   #30
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Hard enforce our trade laws against our bankers!!

Well the finest President in modern time has some thoughts on this Trade thing, Trade Deficit, Balance of Payments, etc.

""With over $400 billion in deficit this year and for years to come, how do they pay for that deficit? First, by taking the Social Security surplus that comes in every month and endorsing the checks of working people over to me to pay for the tax cuts. But it's not enough. So they have to go borrow money. Most of it they borrow from the Chinese and Japanese governments. Sure, these countries are competing with us for good jobs, but how can we enforce our trade laws against our bankers? I mean, come on! " Bill Clinton

more thoughts

sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote