Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 09-09-2005, 02:23 PM   #1
smithrob75
Founding Member

Default Re: Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic Visits Russia

Wow that 4-wheeler is pretty cool, kinda reminds me of T-REX..

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2005, 02:29 PM   #2
gear_head
Registered Member

I took the class here In New York this year. First off, gotta say Lee is a genuine nice guy and what a rider. That guy can drag knee on anything, my V-Strom and a bunch of Sport Tourers included (FJR, ST1300, etc). His class seems to really have picked up some momentum! Though I had some administrative issues with the local provider, I by and large would recommend the class to those who are not track riders. The class is supposed to fall in the middle of an MSF ERC and a track day as far as skills. Read the book first, it helps.
gear_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 05:15 PM   #3
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Sounds like fun....

But doesn't a four-wheeled bike kind-of, maybe defeats the whole point?
Old 09-09-2005, 11:33 PM   #4
bod
Founding Member

Not at all this is for those rich drunk old mid-life crisis types dont want to die in a motorcycle wreck after making the 3 mile trip to the bar and trying to now make the 3 mile trip home drunk. this should improve motorcycle death rates dramatically now all they need to do is contact honda about there airbag system (if there not married that is).
bod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 01:41 PM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Whoodathunk that BMW would beat Honda to the punch?
Old 09-12-2005, 11:03 AM   #6
FrankS1
Founding Member

And I took the course in Gilbert, AZ (it's a suburb of Phoenix) in June. I'll also vouch for the fact that Lee is a nice guy and a helluva rider.

Personally I'm too old and cowardly to have fully benefited from the course, but I still got a lot out of it. I'm planning to take a repeat, though not in Phoenix in the summer!
FrankS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 02:07 AM   #7
chickenman_26
Founding Member

And you make these comments based on what? Certainly not familiarity with the course! Rich drunk old mid-life crisis types normally don't care to learn how to ride fast safely. They often think they already know all there is to know. Sound familiar? The majority of students are accomplished street riders and club racers. It's all about the mechanics of riding well and fast. That's best taught on a closed course at slower speeds where the fear factor doesn't impede the learning process.

Riders of all skill levels take this course, and they all make dramatic improvements in their cornering ability and their ability to control the suspension through correct brake and throttle application and control of combined CG. Does everybody qualify for a road racing license on graduation? No, but everyone ends up miles ahead of where they were before taking the course. That includes Paul Thede of Race Tech and some other names that might surprise you. Parks recently used the techniques he teaches to beat Jay Springsteen in the inaugural Thruxton Cup while riding a bone-stock Thruxton against kitted bikes. So don't be so quick to judge things about which you know absolutely nothing.

chickenman_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 02:21 AM   #8
chickenman_26
Founding Member

The whole point? The whole point of what? That four-wheeler was just a demo unit at a St. Petersburg dealer. Parks was allowed to play around on it for a few minutes. You certainly don't think these things were used in the riding course, do you? I thought the article made that clear.
chickenman_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 04:31 AM   #9
fzcaster
Founding Member

I had read about this class in Fred Rau's article in the June Rider magazine.

I knew this class would help me out in my struggles on the track, and the street.

I just took the class this weekend in NY, and I highly recommend it even more so after taking it.

There's a whole mix of folks with varying experience and skill levels, including 3 of us who are using it to improve our 'on bike' skills for the track.

In my limited experience on the track,(3X) I've not gotten the kind of information I needed to improve and ride with correct technique on the bike.

Anyone can keep going around the 'correct line' on the track, it's knowing what to do on the bike, how to do it, and when to do it, that makes some of us better than others, and helps all of us, learn to be better at cornering.

Everyone learns differently, some can just do it on their own, others can read about it and go right out on the track and apply what they've just read.

Others learn by being shown.

Someone telling me: 'just keep going around you'll get it' is not going to help me if I have obsticles, to overcome, or poor technique.

This class really helps anyone be a better and more confident rider, by not only address the mental side of riding, but by showing us proper technique to cornering.

And yep, by the afternoon I was draggin a peg on my FZ1!

I can't say enough about how helpful Christine, and Frank, and Romy,(our instructors) were, and how important this class can be, to anyone who wants to improve their own riding skill set.

Do it! You will be a better rider!

Oh and I also recommend Lee's book, I read it twice before the class, and was able to answers some of my classmates questions because of that.
fzcaster is offline   Reply With Quote