Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (
-   MO vs. World (
-   -   850 cc auto transmission bike? (

Gunfighter 08-24-2005 10:14 AM

Re: 850 cc auto transmission bike?
It's a feature that most riders have overlooked for the past 10 years. You may not like the sound of "scooter", but its here in the USA. You may not like rising gas prices with no indication of going down below $2 a gallon, but it here in the USA. The vast majority of the baby boomers that are riding now are looking for 'easier rides". They are getting tired of pushing heavy iron and shifting constantly. You put an automatic in a Goldwing and it will sell--very well. The only thing that the American rider has to get over is the "ego" factor attached to be seen riding an automatic or (scooter). I'm surprised that MO hasn't seen the handwriting yet to do some "maxiscooter shootout" for the USA crowd.

mikenomad 08-24-2005 10:54 AM

Actually, they're MANUmatics -- manual transmissions with electronically controlled clutches and shifting with paddle shifters behind the wheel that allow you to shift up and down by tugging with your middle fingers without removing your hands from the wheel.

Ferraris and some other expensive cars also have manumatics available. They are the fastest-shifting transmissions available.

A motorcycle could have a clutchless manumatic with a left-thumb-operated up/down shifter: you'd slide your thumb to the right into a U-shaped bracket, then flick your thumb up for upshifts and down for downshifts.

anrajala 08-24-2005 11:05 AM

Scooters = scorerers
When I did my military service my buddy lent several occasions his Piaggio 2-stroke I believe it was 175 or 200 cc. Hey the girls were suddenly very interested!

anrajala 08-24-2005 11:13 AM

Scooters = scorerers
When I did my military service my buddy lent several occasions his Piaggio 2-stroke I believe it was 175 or 200 cc. Whaddaya know it was a chick magnet! Wherever I stopped the red wonder they couldn´t resist coming over poking some fun. Sooner than you knew there was somebody sitting in the back. I don´t know whether this would work in the US though.

- cruiz-euro

yossef 08-24-2005 02:33 PM

Re: Read MO
Are they selling them in the US?

sliphorn 08-24-2005 03:21 PM

Re: Read MO
Yossef, both the BV500 and X9 are now available in the US of A and flying out of the dealerships.

sliphorn 08-24-2005 03:34 PM

I like the idea of a maxi scooter shootout. First you've got the twin cylinder big boys; Honda Silverwing and Suzuki Burgman 650. Then you got your single cylinder 500cc Piaggio BV500, a high wheel scooter, Piaggio X9, Aprilia Scarabeo 500, another high wheel Italian, Aprilia Atlantic 500, both Aprilia's use the Piaggio motor, Burgman 400, Yamaha Majesty 400, and the soon to be released Kymco Xciting 500. It's a good time for those of us that like maxi scooters.

tripletango 08-24-2005 04:02 PM

Like I said Suzuki has the "manumatic" on the Burgman 650. It also has automatic and a power auto setting. The 05 has an overdrive gear as well !!

Good for commuting and shopping and

what the hell

eojmo 08-24-2005 07:01 PM

Quite a few modern jet pilots fly old bi planes in there spare time to reconnect with real hands on flying.Maybe its the way motorcycling is heading.We all own a two wheeled car with all the creature comforts and auto systems that requires no physical imputs fom the rider.Then in our spare time we can ride naked bikes with all the basic features,manual gear shifts,brakes,clutch,no idiot lights,ease of maintenance ,no need of a tow truck when you get a flat tire. Ahh,we could relive the day's of simple enjoyable and cost effective riding.

schizuki 08-24-2005 08:19 PM

"I think I'd be almost as happy with the scooters amazing ability to just to annoy the heck out of the doctrinare amongst us."

I second that.

Scooters are kewl.