Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 08-23-2005, 03:25 PM   #11
eojmo
Founding Member

Default Re: 850 cc auto transmission bike?

Maybe an auto Goldwing ? It would be smoother than foot shifting and stop the water splashing from the kitchin sink on those trips with a lot of stop starting.I test rode the Honda auto and the Guzzi semi auto.The one thing I can remember is how cornering took on a whole new meaning.
eojmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-23-2005, 03:42 PM   #12
tripletango
Founding Member

Got a 650 Burgman automatic mega scooter. Use it for local stuff. FJR for distances and S3 for blasting.

Burgman is lots of fun - took it from Dallas to Key West and back before I bought the FJR. No problem blowing off most Harleys and arriving in better shape physically. Paddle shifter fun for manual shifts if you want. Just like a Ferrari !
tripletango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 04:36 PM   #13
mile_eater
Founding Member

Default Bah.

Anyone who thinks old men wouldn't snatch up 1800cc automatic goldwings needs to hang out with more old men.

Make an automatic transmission an option on the Wing, and you'd sell thousands.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:51 PM   #14
HarryMyhre
Founding Member

Default Re: Bah.

maybe... but I think the problem is... there probably is not enough room to jam in an automatic transmission on the current wing. However; i'll bet the wing definately has enough power to drive an auto tranny. And the people who like wings are definately candidates for auto tranny's
HarryMyhre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:26 AM   #15
svo68
Registered Member

Don't want an auto, no fun, less control, squids might like them though.

Change the name of the site to SA. Could stand for scooters automatic or s u c k a $ s.
svo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:50 AM   #16
maladg
Registered Member

Upon reading this, I immediately curtailed my Whalpoling activities and cancelled my trip to the Whimsleydale Cheese Shop. Its usually bereft of cheese anyway.

The old Hondamatic did not sell well, but was popular used for many years by the handicapped and as a wife bike.

I'm not exactly excited about a new scooter, but hey: why not? Times have changed. Big, powerful scooters look like a good way to attract new folks into the fold. More customers = a bigger, more diverse aftermarket. More is better!
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:55 AM   #17
maladg
Registered Member

I think I'd be almost as happy with the scooters amazing ability to just to annoy the heck out of the doctrinare amongst us.

Gotta run: there is a Mickey Rourke/Jerry Lewis Film Festival downtown. Must find the beret before I can mount the scooter.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 01:49 AM   #18
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Bah.

If they put an auto trans in it, they'd have to change the name to Accord. Oh, they already have one of those!
Old 08-24-2005, 04:20 AM   #19
teknoman
Registered Member

Okay fellow mofo,s ,since I started this,let me fan the flames.You can google up gilera ferro,or gilera 850 automatic,or maximoto .uk although they are a bit old.I found it and was suprised that it looked like a buell lightening!i.e naked .I also ran across a apicture of them testing one. naturally they had it disguised,but take a look. Anything that will get people out of their cages and get us catching up with the rest of the world I am for.
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 04:26 AM   #20
giuliom
Registered Member

I don't think that any models like this one are geared to the US market, which is totally different market. IN Europe, bikes are basic transportation (what a concept!). The parking lot at the parking terminal in Venice, Italy, has more bikes parked there on any given day than I see in an entire day of riding in LA. It's a bit like the Rock store on Sunday, and we are talking VENICE, the one with canals! Go to any mid or large size Italian city and you'll see what I mean. Friends of mine who are professionals (investment consultants, doctors, university professors) back in Italy have scooters because they can get through traffic and park easily (and gas is at 1.22 euros A LITER, a euro is about 1.2 dollars, you do the math...). For that kind of use you can't beat a scooter with its storage, relaxed riding position. etc. I owned a Vespa P200 (200 cc, 2 stroke) and in that environment it was a great ride, much better than a Ducati 999 would be.

The point is that here we are in a different environment and the market is very different. Aprilia, for example, lives and dies with its scooter line. The tuono, mille, etc. are more for prestige, the bucks come from scooters.
giuliom is offline   Reply With Quote