Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 08-18-2005, 05:43 PM   #1
sv1000rider
Founding Member

Default Re: Sportbikes Vs. Lawmakers

Lawmakers have already gone up against motorcycles. Janklow 1, motorcyclist 0
sv1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-18-2005, 05:48 PM   #2
sv1000rider
Founding Member

And let me get this straight. A state which requires all automobile passengers to wear seatbelts yet allows motorcyclists to ride sans helmets will eventually be telling me how fast my motorcycle can go because 130 mph is just much safer than 188 mph? Okay. Makes sense to me.
sv1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 06:10 PM   #3
FrankGrimes
Founding Member

Why do I think speed governed bikes will be a joke? It seems to give more of a reason to get a pipe and power commander, "dyno tune for the pipe and as a bonus remove your speed-limiter" WAJ
FrankGrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 06:21 PM   #4
Fenton
Founding Member

OK, so if we regulate the bikes top speed both legally and mechanically, I should expect a 155mph limit? (Same as many high-performance cars)

That would be sweet, my Multistrada can't do that now. I think with the 14 tooth counter sprocket it's only good for 129mph.(just a guess)

Seriously, It will not make a difference, there is not an alarming rate of fatalities due to people riding at 160. I think the problem is the roll on from 50-100 and things get out of hand quicker than expected. I think it is the "quick and the dead" not the "fast and the dead." And there is nothing anyone can do to prevent our chosen toys from being quick.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 07:35 PM   #5
drthompson65
Founding Member

(Please correct me if I'm wrong here..)

The "Gentlemans" agreement between the big 4, Triumph, Ducati, etc is 300Kph or 186 MPH. This came about when the European Union started to rattle the sabre saying they'll ban sportbikes off of public roads. This really came to a boil with Triumph was looking to introduce there new Daytona 1300. It was suppose to be a Hayabusa killer with a top speed of over 210 MPH! From the spy photos the bike looked like a bigger Daytona 650. After this agreement Triumph stuffed the bike back into the crate and shoved it onto a shelf. To be honest I personally would love to see it back. I've always had a soft spot for Triumph. With gas prices going up ($5 a gallon by next year I bet) I'm looking at a Sprint, Tiger or Ducati ST3 (add another Duc to my stable).
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:04 PM   #6
turbowrx666
Founding Member

I dont care about these limits it would be good... drive more people back to 250cc two strokes
turbowrx666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 01:41 AM   #7
jimmihaffa
Founding Member

It's probably high time for a graduated licensing system, whereby a novice would be mandated by law to a maximum displacement motorcycle he or she could ride I believe such systems are common place in other parts of the world. I'm not entirely certain of the statistics, but I would gather the majority of the serious accidents are caused by youth with vast excess of exuberance and insufficient skill. I've been riding 20 years and it sickens me when I see some (not all) young guns weaving in and out of highway traffic at obscene speeds. You don't have to have a fast bike to be obnoxious and disrespectful to the safety of other road users. It's a culture and mentality of these type of individuals and unfortunately I think the lawmakers have no choice but to protect these types of twits from themselves.
jimmihaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 01:41 AM   #8
DaveFla
Founding Member

Graduated licensing for teen-agers driving automobiles is already in place here in Michigan, so some of the groundwork for setting up a regime for bikes is already done.

I'm guessing that a little work from the industry and our lobbying groups could quickly blunt efforts to ban, especially if the impact of alcohol in the headline stories about sportbikes is emphasized.
DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 02:13 AM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

What's the beef? Most people seem to welcome govt regulation of everything under the sun moon and stars. This is just the next logical step after helmet laws. Only fools think that the safety-freaks would stop with helmets.

Take a cue from what's been done to the smokers. At first the little Hitlers said, "We'll never ban smoking on airplanes. We only want non-smoking sections." Now in some towns it's illegal to smoke in your own backyard. Or an open air venue like a public park. The lesson of this is that the public is easily stampeded into unreasoning fear by media lies and exaggerations. If the media decides to take on motorcycles as a safety issue then we are truly screwed. Luckily for us a lot of people in the media ride motocycles too.

Never forget that one feature of the safety-fascists in the USA is that once they start down a road they never stop. After all, someone somewhere is having fun.

I predict that irony will abound when the HD/ABATE crowd rallies to the defense of sportbike owner's rights.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:32 AM   #10
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Remember that "Doin right ain't got no end". Wasn't it said that the road to Hell is paved with good intentions? Hopefully we stay under the radar. The more popular we are, the bigger chance the "do gooders" will fix us up but good.