Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 08-19-2005, 11:45 AM   #51
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Re: Still using the credit card.

"Supply side econ" or Reaganomics seems to be a buzzword intended to discredit the policy of allowing tax reductions for everybody including the rich, an entirely legitimate one. The problem lies in not similarily reducing taxes on the poor, and simultaneously eliminating the rob-peter-to-pay-paul welfare/warfare spending state. Get rid of 95% of the federal and state government machine, "defense" included (why is it the 'department of defense' when all the action is offense???), and reclaim our limited-government republic soul, and whatever economy free citizens decide to have will work just fine.

That is, until some politician starts scaring people into thinking there is another crisis that only government coercion can avert.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-19-2005, 12:21 PM   #52
beetsme
Registered Member

Default Re: Sportbikes Vs. Lawmakers

I read a report a few years ago that the largest percentage of accidents were occuring on Harley cruisers! It seems that when Harleys go trndy, newcomers wanted to be seen on them. Its the new rider issue, those first few years of experience are crucial. So the statistics show that SLOW bikes are more dangerous! Gotta do something about that! How about mandatory minimum horsepwer!
Old 08-19-2005, 12:57 PM   #53
seruzawa
The Toad

Alaskan Brown Bear? Get an FN-FAL and load it with the hottest loads you can get w/20 mags. Or get a .50 Barrett.

Or just take off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:20 PM   #54
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Re: Still using the credit card.

Hey I am with you I agree.. But the problem with supply side as it was executed by Reagan Admin was this notion that you didn't have to reduce government spending. That there was this magical tax rate (remember the Laffer curve) that would be like a resonant frequency in electronics that would create the largest tax revenue. That didn't happen... When I said George Sr. did the right thing by raising taxes I meant he did the right thing by balancing the budget. The best thing would of been to reduce spending as well. Hey I am not a fan of the current tax system. I think a flat tax rate is best with a min income...
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 01:20 PM   #55
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Good choice! I was gonna recomend that, but some members of the hunting community get insulted by recomending a "military type weapon".

The FN-FALs have better mags than the AR-10 and the mags are cheaper. You can also get 30 and 40 rounders.

I'd recomend a caddy for the Barrett!

BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 01:24 PM   #56
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Well said. Excellent points... I am starting to view things the same way (not callous but realistic)...
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 01:57 PM   #57
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

How about posting that report. I have never read anything that said that, and I have read every report out there.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:01 PM   #58
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Since you are 'safety-minded' why are you riding a motorcycle? Sounds like you are kinda mixed up. Not sure we really want you breeding either.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:19 PM   #59
desertbilly
Founding Member

Oh for crying out loud, no government is going to get involved with this. Look at the weeping, hysteria, screaming and gnashing of teeth over mandatory helmet laws -- and that's the biggest no-brainer there is.

If states wanted to get serious about reducing moto fatalities, they'd adopt Euro-style tiered licensing (after mandatory helmets.)
desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 05:01 PM   #60
SuperBill
Founding Member

I'm thinking we have plenty of government regulation right now. Maybe even too much. No way I'd agree that the gov't should ban 165 MPH sport bikes just because I don't want one - that's only one step in the road toward banning 20-year-old, 60 HP Beemers which, to my knowledge, have never annoyed anybody (except, maybe, their owners).

Why, in fact, should the gov't ban any voluntary activity that doesn't directly affect others? This is AMERICA, for goshsakes - land of the FREE!

Wanna' ride your Hyabusa at 165 mph? OK! Wanna' crash your Hyabusa into the back of an old lady in a Buick? Not OK! Wanna' smoke crack? OK! Wanna' steal my motorcycle to finance your crack habit? Not OK! Wanna' suck down a Bud while you're driving down the highway? OK! Wanna' get drunk and run your SUV through a crowd? Not OK!

See the difference?

SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote