Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 08-19-2005, 05:27 AM   #21
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Sportbikes Vs. Lawmakers

You get no argument from me. I've never felt deprived on motorcycles with less than 100 hp.

But, this is America, man. It's not just the bikers. People buy .44mags when a .38+P is more than sufficient. Look at the car mags. Same thing. As if 250hp isn't enough in a 2,500 pound sedan.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-19-2005, 05:43 AM   #22
acecycleins
Founding Member

There's really no arguement here. I just feel that eventually the insurance industry is going to kill off the sportbike market because there is no self-restraint from the bike industry and the motorags, in a sense, encourage the manufacturers to push a little more every year. Eventually, the door is going to close on the insurance end. Then what are we going to do? Guys (& Gals), this is how I make my living and if we close out an entire segment of bikes (again, like the special construction bikes) then I will be looking for a new career. I like what I do. I'm probably the only insurance agency in GA (maybe the Southeast) that really is dedicated to the motorsports insurance market. It'd suck to start over after 5 years of building this buisness.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:57 AM   #23
johnnyb
Founding Member

yeah that's why John Ulrich bought like a `78 GS1000 or whatever it was and kept it in the crate. They weren't gonna get any faster than that...

Mmm, i think the jig will be up when we run out of gas. What? I thought insurance guys were like mortgage brokers. Faster bike? Higher price? O yes sir, we'll be happy to accommodate you... sign here...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 06:02 AM   #24
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Unfortunately you are right. I remember talking to some woman's boyfriend and he was going on and on about buying a 50 cal Desert Eagle.

Why? Cuz it was "badass" ignoring the fact that it's nearly a 10lbs handgun with feeding problems and inconsistent accuracy.

Although my Ruger Redhawk in 44mag is fun. In magnum on a hot day my accuracy sucks ass, but I can maintain pretty good accuracy with the specials.

But nothing beats a .22 for all day plinking fun! Rifle or handgun...

BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 06:06 AM   #25
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

The phenomenon of anyone being able to qualify for a loan for anything is propped up by a few shaky pyramid pillars that will eventually collapse. When the Chinese stop pumping money into our economy by buying dollars, even worse, when they start calling in those dollars and the Fed starts printing even more to buy Yen to pay them back, when the collapse of the dollar deflates housing prices and slaps the brakes on our voracious consumption economy, when borrowers and then lenders start going bankrupt in droves, when interest rates go through the roof, all this will come to an end. Debt cannot be inflated out of existence forever.

When you're only able to buy a sportbike with gold coins and bullion, you won't have to worry about shortsighted, irresponsible kids running around on them.

Government manipulation can only sustain market imbalances for so long. One way or another, the market will correct these, in due time, and the larger the imbalances, the more painful the correction.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 06:12 AM   #26
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Well said Dude... I think I said the same thing months ago in one of my rants against W and his irresponsible fiscal policy.. Don't worry the dollar will fall and what's left of our manufacturing base along with our farmers will bail us out.....by exporting record levels of goods...
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 06:13 AM   #27
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

History shows us that freedom is very seldom what soldiers die for. The United States is no exception. Iraqis are arguably no more free than they were under Saddam, and we are demonstrably less so.

If motorcycles are restricted to a certain speed or power it will be but a drop in a swimming pool of abuse of far more fundamental rights.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:21 AM   #28
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

George W is but the latest and greatest in a long line of central-planning, establishment, economy manipulators including FDR, Nixon, and Greenspan.

The irresponsibility lies in the belief that it is the government's responsibility to regulate, subsidize, or eliminate private and voluntary transactions of any kind whatsoever, as well as artificially regulate the value of currency by eliminating ties to commodity. This didn't start with W.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:23 AM   #29
edward44
Founding Member

How can such things be happening with conservative Republicans in complete control of the federal government? Don't they stand for fiscal responsibility. Anyway, thanks for the heads up. I am going to buy a CBR600RR and keep it in the crate.
edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 06:25 AM   #30
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

No but he took it to new levels
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote