Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 08-19-2005, 03:47 AM   #11
SRMark
Founding Member

Default Re: Sportbikes Vs. Lawmakers

With every soldier's death, with every mother's loss, with every soldier's son and daughter who grew up without their dad, we have seen the price of freedom. With those freedoms coming at so dear a cost, we should assure that our citizens suck the marrow from every last bone of freedom. Every taking of a freedom should come with a terrible struggle. All takings should come with a fight. It's what we are. I'm not convinced that I need a 200 mph bike (or even an 85 mph bike). But I'm not convinced that I want to give up the possibility.

Conversely, every soldier's death should come with tremendous constraint, forethought and justification. Five week vacation when we have troops committed...dirty, rotten, motherfuc.....
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-19-2005, 04:21 AM   #12
mile_eater
Founding Member

As women gain more and more political power.. you will see more and more of this stupidity.

Women want to legislate "nice". You can safely count on them to be against anything that's remotely fun.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:28 AM   #13
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

"If the media decides to take on motorcycles as a safety issue then we are truly screwed. Luckily for us a lot of people in the media ride motorcycles too."

--It doesnÂ’t matter if the media rides or not. The media/celebs have just a wee bit of an elitist attitude. The "do as we say, not what we do". They feel they know whatÂ’s good for us and they are far more capable than the general public. So itÂ’s just fine that they have turbine powered bikes as long as the general population canÂ’t get a hold of them.

Same goes for firearms and environmentalism. How many times have you heard a congressmen/celeb/reporter preach on about the evils of firearms, water conservation, land management, large trucks, and SUVs and it turns out that assclown has a lush green 100 acre residence with two pool, 3 Escalades, and a CCW. And when it does come out they usually spin it as if they are more important.

I remember talking with a co-worker that was a BIG environmentalist. We were driving to lunch and we were talking about cars and she said "you know, if I could afford one, IÂ’d by one of those Hummers."

Now this was a few years ago, so she wasnÂ’t pointing to the new H3. WeÂ’re talking the older Hummers that get 10-12 miles to the gallon.

I told her "how could this be? They were just ranked as one of the worst environmental autos out on the road?!"

And she said, "Yeah, but if I was the only one aloud to have one it would be OK, since I know more about the environment than most people. I am more capable and responsible."

And that sums up the "Ban It" crowd. They think itÂ’s just fine if THEY have a 200hp bike. But they just donÂ’t think you are as import/capable/smart as them so you get the hockey helmet and short bus with tinted windows.

...oh, and nice Jimmy email address you got there...
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 04:31 AM   #14
maladg
Registered Member

Hmmm. I better send the AMA's Legislative bunch a check today.

Doesn't matter what your interests, sport, hobby or business...you always have to watch government with both eyes at all times.

We have the worst government imaginable - except for all the other governments.

Remember the state of MO's nitwit "senator", John Danforth & the proposal to ban superbikes?

Keep your eyes and ears open and be ready to pounce.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 04:54 AM   #15
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Classic stuff there. We had a Liberal journo named Carl Rowan years back that wrote for the Tribune, I think. Anyway, he was 100% anti-gun, and every other column he wrote always drove the point home. Well, one day some kids broke into his back yard and started messing around in his pool. Lo and behold, old Carl greeted them out the back door with a gun! When this was reported all over the state, Carl shot back that he didn't see where he was a hypocrite, and that he is STILL anti-gun. Like most assholes like him, he isn't against himself owning a gun, but he is against YOU having one. Classic.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:56 AM   #16
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Remember the state of MO's nitwit "senator", John Danforth & the proposal to ban superbikes?"

Not much different than Joan Claybrook in the 80's threatining the same shyt. Hell, the bikes were a whopping 85 horsepower then!
Old 08-19-2005, 05:18 AM   #17
seruzawa
The Toad

Heh heh. I've lost count of the environuts I've seen in Utah who freak out when they see a 4-wheeler ATV. Usually they are standing next to their Toyota 4WD they just drove through open BLM land. They believe that they should be exempt from restrictions because they "care" more.

I'll bet SBP has seen this crap too. Heck, he's at a University! I bet he's got some great hypocrisy stories.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:26 AM   #18
Chukchi
Registered Member

I have always wondered why anyone really cares about legislating this motorcycle safety thing. It is not very often that anyone but the motorcyclist gets killed or even seriously injured in motorcycle accidents. (Warning: this is going to sound callous) As a safety concious person myself (always wear helmet, use turn signals, etc...) I think that it is good for the gene pool when someone not wearing a helmet and riding their bike through traffic at 100+ mph gets killed. If they are that stupid, do we want them breeding? One more thing, in response to a previous post...I think that here in the States the big 4 are Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Suzuki rather than Ducati, Triumph, BMW, etc.
Chukchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 05:39 AM   #19
acecycleins
Founding Member

The MORON that suggest graduated licensing is dead on for the sake of our sport. The the real problem is not the gov't or the manufaturers- it's the insurance industry. They are going to have enough of this speed stuff and start black balling sportbikes like they black balled the homemade bike industry. As a motorcycle insurance specialtist, I have watched the last 5 years spiral out of control in the sportbike industry. Now, we can place blame on who ever you want but it comes down to two groups that really are causing this mess. Group 1 is the race industry. They clamor for more speed because they use it on the track. However, most of the supersport and superstock bikes that are on the track remain virtually unchanged in the motor department. Group 2 is the media. These guys are paid to test bikes to the limit but with that they claim to need more. More of everything- speed, control/feel, braking but for what? Hell, 90% of the riders out there have NO idea how to properly operate a sportbike. But the media says "It needs a little_______(fill in the blank). So, MORONs when do we tell the motorcycle industry that the bikes are fast enough and to work on all the other aspects of the bike for control reasons. Or do you let "Big Brother" step in and screw it up for the rest of us.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:20 AM   #20
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Well it's not just the journos. The KPs of the world run down to the Burger Barn with their tankbags full of magazine clippings "proving" their bike is faster.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote