Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 08-23-2005, 12:00 PM   #111
rob6118
Founding Member

Default Re: Sportbikes Vs. Lawmakers

well I just looked and its a 49 tooth, and I think stock is 46. To a street rider 3 or 4 up is a stunt sprocket, although I know there are bigger out there. I just got the bike and I'm not sure what mods it has other then a yoshi short pipe but it did 185 indicated at 10,500 rpm w/ a redline of 13k. I pussed out considering I wasn't wearing a jacket, just a helmet and gloves and jeans. I was basing the 15% error or so off of being paced by a car that told me my speedo indicated 55 when I was doing 45. (77 when I was doing 65) But I guess that is actually around 20%. How fast is this bike? Idk, but it does put out 130hp stock, and I'm really skinny .
rob6118 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-23-2005, 08:36 PM   #112
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

The issue here is that EVERY kid in the history of the world has taken risks, not just the outright morons, and experience has taught us to mitigate the worst of that risky behaviour so that we increase the percentage of teenagers that successful make it to adulthood, where they tend to reduce their risk-taking behaviour considerably with more wisdom and experience.

The morons will continue to take risks well into adulthood, long after the rest of us have calmed down, and tend to kill themselves off regardless of what laws are in place. In a sense, the laws are really meant for them, but for the kids we know are redeemable and will be productive members of society in the future. Nurse them through their crazy period, and then they are fine.
m_t_yeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 08:47 PM   #113
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

I polled a couple of dealers in my area and all of them said that if they know in advance that a bike is going to be a person's first, they won't sell them a sport bike if they can help it. That restraint, combined with the difficulty getting insurance, helps to lower the amount of squids out there riding bikes well beyond their capabilities, but it it doesn't eliminate it.

Last night alone, I was challenged to a race by three different sport-bike riders as I tooled around town doing errands. I ride a Thruxton, so it isn't a sportbike by any definition, but it was as if the testosterone switch went off the minute a fellow rider saw me on the street. They would pull up next to me, give me 'the look' and then tear off down the street at twice the speed limit to prove to me how fast they were. It obviously isn't as hard as you think (or perhaps as it should be) to get a sport bike if I run into these folks this often.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:49 PM   #114
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

This is actually an eloquent argument.

Damn the tool and you remove that tool even when it is useful. Damn the user of the tool who happens to be using it inappropriately and you get rid of the behaviour you want to curb, but without getting rid of the tool altogether.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:55 PM   #115
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Default Re: SS,DD

In Edmonton, my hometown, six riders died last year in motorcycle accidents. 4 of them were not licenced to ride bikes, had no rider training, and were 'borrowing' sport bikes from friends. Half of those involved alcohol. I think their mortality had more to do with their lack of riding experience, their lack of training and their lack of familiarity with the bikes than the actual bikes themselves.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:16 AM   #116
epinkert
Founding Member

<blockquote>The issue here is that EVERY kid in the history of the world has taken risks, not just the outright morons, and experience has taught us to mitigate the worst of that risky behaviour so that we increase the percentage of teenagers that successful make it to adulthood, where they tend to reduce their risk-taking behaviour considerably with more wisdom and experience.</blockquote>

Agreed, but I'm wondering: Isn't there already an existing system in place which recgonizes the risky behavior that some younger riders engage in? Don't those kids have to pay insane insurance premiums on their supermoto's? Would legislature of this type serve to nanny the rest of us in the name of protecting the children?
</p>
epinkert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 05:22 AM   #117
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

I just finished reading an article that cited three different crash studies: the Hurt Report and two from Europe. In all of them, only 1% of crashes occurred above 75 mph. The issue, then, isn't speed because even some 250cc scooters can reach that speed.

The two most likely crashes were cagers turning left in front of a bike, typically at less than 25 mph collision speed, and solo crashes at night where the rider rode off the road.

If we attempt to focus on just those two major collision sources, then the only real way to reduce those collisions is a two-pronged attack.

The first prong would be extensive defensive riding training combined with graduated licencing. This would reduce the first type of accident through successful avoidance and the second through increased familiarity with riding and a scaled exposure to bikes with higher limits. If you know the limits of the bike, you are less likely to ride off the road at night, right? If you know your own limits, you are less likely to ride while fatigued, drunk, stoned, etc. too.

The second prong would be more DRIVER training. The ultimate cause of the car-bike collisions seems to be driver error - they pull in front of a bike they don't 'see'. Training the rider to avoid these bad drivers is putting a band-aid on the issue; it will help, but if you want to remove the cause, you will have to focus on the drivers themselves. I would honestly advocate mandatory defensive driving courses and graduated licencing for cars, too, to help with this.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:52 AM   #118
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

I see your point but don't necessarily agree.

The insurance deterrent, because it relies on dollars to keep you off of that superbike, only affects those who can't afford the premiums or who are unwilling to pay them. If the world teaches us anything, it is that there is always some jackass willing to pay $100K to take a bite out of a prehistoric egg or $15K to eat a steak from an endangered species. If what you want to do is remove x behaviour, you can't count exclusively on a financial incentive to do the job for you.

Besides, a graduated licencing scheme represents, to me, the best compromise we can come to. You get 'nannied' only for a couple of years, have your inevitable scares on a smaller, lighter, less-powerful bike, and when you have ridden enough to become a better rider as a whole, then the nanny disappears. Over 20 and with a clean driving record? You can ride whatever the hell you want. That is a small price to pay in order to fend off the extremists that would prefer to ban sportbikes altogether, don't you think? It is a reasonable compromise and one that I think the public as a whole would agree to in a heartbeat.