Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 08-22-2005, 03:44 AM   #91
articulat_66
Registered Member

Default Re: Sportbikes Vs. Lawmakers

Baby Boomer Harley riders vote. Sport riding gen x, y'ers Don't

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-22-2005, 03:48 AM   #92
bollert
Registered Member

Take really good care of your ZX-10R(etc)! It will provide you years and years of high performance enjoyment. I had an 86 GSXR-1100 for years and it ran as good the day I sold it as when I bought it. I only sold it to buy the 99 ZX-9R, which along with the R-1 were the new standard of high performance. If they strap us with HP restrictions, we still have this generation of 160 hp bikes to keep us happy.
bollert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:50 AM   #93
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

"BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Yeah, right."

Perhaps people there are technically 'more free', but their standard of living has declined to near barbarism, so to say that life has been an improvement for them would be pretty disingenious. They used to have the best education system in the middle east, Israel included, and had universal health care, too. Power and water were reliable and there was a secular government in place, even if it was a despotic one. Saddam, for all his faults, took pretty good care of people until they pissed him off. Remember, too, that most of the Iraqi citizens he killed were Kurds or Shi'ites that rebelled against him at the end of the last war and that he did so at least with the tacit compliance of the US. If you weren't in either of those groups, life wasn't too bad until the sanctions kicked in.

"[snip]scream comparisons of Bush to Hitler and suffer no persecution whatsoever."

Welcome to the rough side of freedom of speech. We lefties get the 'treason' label slapped on us as fast as the right-wing can open their mouths, pretty much, and it has gotten to the point where O'Reilly called Cindy Sheehan treasonous for camping out at Bush's ranch to try and get some answers. You have to have some giant balls to call a mother who has lost her son to the war treasonous, and it made my blood boil to hear that comment - probably as much as it makes your blood boil to hear the Hitler-Bush comparison.

That being said, every dictator slowly erodes the public's freedoms and it usually begins with little erosions here and there, not something big that would scare too many people. Small erosions like the Patriot Act, forcing protestors to protest in 'approved areas' that happen to be twenty miles from the event they are protesting, punishing people with dissenting opinions, putting party loyalists in charge of a supposedly neutral elections apparatus, petitioning to control broadcasting, the judiciary, etc. are all twigging people's radar. You should be glad that the canaries are singing now, even if you disagree with their opinions. The worm will turn and eventually it will be the righties out there protesting and demanding answers from a lefty administration. Wouldn't it be nice to ensure you have that right? As you yourself have said many times, once taken away, rights are never given back.
m_t_yeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:04 AM   #94
Fenton
Founding Member

I couldn't read the rest of the comment, but 185 with a stunt sprocket? I'm thinking 15% isn't even close.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:22 AM   #95
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

This is a problem everywhere.

Find me a federal politician with a son/daughter in Iraq right now and I'll eat my hat ... yet they all publicly support it. Lots of people wave signs suporting Bush, but their kids won't line up at the recruiting office, either. The military is having a devil of a time filling spots, even if 51% of the population supported the war president.

My ex-girlfriend ran the Sierra Club for western Canada. She was astounded that I rode my bike to work whenever there wasn't snow on the ground. She had a fuel-efficient vehicle, but going that next step to be without a vehicle was too much to sacrifice. I advised her to move closer to her office and bike whenever she didn't need to drive for some media event. Yeah, whatever. She had a 1100 square foot house filled with stuff for one person and when I told her I purposefully lived in a bachelor pad so that all the things I owned fit into a standard bedroom, she was astounded.

Some people do, other just say they do. That is the story of the world.
m_t_yeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:57 AM   #96
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Borrowed time pal Borrowed time, W is still charging iitems on your credit card. The min payment hasn't been paid.

Read this and see if you agree.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 07:34 AM   #97
schizuki
Founding Member

"Small erosions like the Patriot Act"

Name one person suffering from the Patriot Act.

"forcing protestors to protest in 'approved areas'"

Like at the Dmocratic National Convention?

"punishing people with dissenting opinions,"

Name ONE.

"putting party loyalists in charge of a supposedly neutral elections apparatus,"

Like the Democratic election board that designed the Florida ballot that confused Democrats?

"petitioning to control broadcasting"

Like the Fairness Doctrine, supported by liberals who want the influence of conservative talk radio curtailed?

"the judiciary, etc."

What petitioning to control the judiciary are you talking about?

"are all twigging people's radar."

Oh, so it's a vague sensation.

"The worm will turn and eventually it will be the righties out there protesting and demanding answers from a lefty administration."

Because currently, lefties are shuttered in their homes, unable to dissent for fear of being crushed. Except when they're making anti-Bush films and camping out in front of his ranch calling him a murderer.

I said it before, and I'll say it again - you lefties are bigger drama queens than teenage girls, and half as rational.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 07:36 AM   #98
caderider
Registered Member

[[NHTSA's beloved backwards bike]]

Was it that gawd-awful red thing with the 'pods' on it and so forth?

Friggin' ugly!
Old 08-22-2005, 12:44 PM   #99
bobsturm
Registered Member

My question is: Why would anyone want to go that fast on the street? I have been riding along at 75 to 80 in a car in the center lane of Interstate 95 and had two bikes pass me well in excess of the ton. What if I moved into the left lane to pass the car in front of me? I would not have had enough time to react to there unbelievable approach time. All I heard was the sound as they went by. I ride, but not that fast. My rule of thumb is to be safe not sorry.
bobsturm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 06:46 PM   #100
usamz
Founding Member

what if they limit speed to something ****ty like 75 mph and displacement to 600? I would be so pissed. There are alot of cagers and few of us, the cagers would win lawmaker's attention more easily than sport bikers.
usamz is offline   Reply With Quote