Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO vs. World (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/)
-   -   How do we get'm to build what we want? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/2973-how-do-we-getm-build-what-we-want.html)

sportbikebandit 08-12-2005 03:54 AM

Re: Go ask Triumph if it can be done?

Prettty expensive lesson. Good thing Triumph's owner has deep pockets...

longride 08-12-2005 09:47 AM

Re: Go ask Triumph if it can be done?

You are right. They were smart. A few more smart moves like that and they will be back bankruptcy in no time.

nesbit 08-12-2005 10:19 AM

Re: How do we get'm to build what we want?

Suggest you all test ride a new Buell XB1200Ss!

nesbit 08-12-2005 10:20 AM

Suggest you all test ride a new Buell XB1200Ss!

ikonoklass 08-12-2005 12:25 PM

I think it's possible for an American company to compete with the Japanese on their sportbikes. Here's why. BMW released this year a couple bikes in the 160-HP range. Way to go, we all said, now they've stepped up to the big leagues with the Japanese. Well, now we're hearing rumors about a new ZX10R and a new ZZR1300 that may have another 20 HP on top of that. How much farther can we take this? I submit, not very far. The Big Four have already supposedly come to an agreement limiting top speed at around 186 MPH (300 KPH). Given that that's the top speed any of your street bikes is ever going to attain, all you can hope to do with more power is enable a customer to get to that speed faster and faster. But with the emphasis on short wheel base, faster acceleration is going to mean lots of unwanted wheelies. And once your wheel is in the air, your ability to accelerate is drastically curtailed. Therefore, whereas, the Japanese always had the ability to produce better and more powerful engines, this ability is rapidly becoing a moot point. The time will come in the not-too-distant future when engine improvements will be difficult and unnecessary, as everyone's engine will be more than good enough. The same thing holds true for chassis. The top literbikes are so small , they are becoming more and more uncomfortable to ride by many people. That trend can't be taken much farther. Performance gains will be harder and harder to come by, and the more cutting edge your product is, the harder it will be to improve it. Smaller companies will improve more rapidly, until everyone's on nearly equal foointg. At that point, people will either buy prestige brands, manufactured by the Europeans and Americans, or cheap brands, manufactured by the Koreans and Chinese. The Japanese will fade to a distant memory.

sportbikebandit 08-12-2005 12:25 PM

Your chance to ask Erik Buell the question?

Erik goes live

You think MO will be there?

morriscm 08-12-2005 03:05 PM

Re: Can u be more specific?

I owned a Harley Ultra Classic for a while. In the low and mid torque category my current Jap-crap ZRX 1200 blows it away (and is more fun to ride - but that's comparing apples and oranges - tourer vs naked standard). I also like the price, $5000 used - in perfect condition for the ZRX - $21000+ for a new Ultra Classic

And before anyone else says it - yeah the Harley held its value when I sold it (don't know if they still do, however)

caderider 08-13-2005 03:38 AM

C'mon, that thing's got a 5-foot bed - how the hell can it haul my GoldWing? lol

Vlad 08-13-2005 12:18 PM

Great suggestion. I just rode one of these puppies, and though it was hardly a full test, I found it stable, comfortable, and an absolute gas to ride. Handling is on par (wait, don't say it, they will kill you) with a Ducati and well above that of many other bikes.

Francis

SRMark 08-15-2005 08:35 AM

I my just buy that Buell Ulysses.