Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 08-11-2005, 09:35 AM   #31
MG57
Founding Member

Default Re: Can u be more specific?

Uh, it's cruise.
MG57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2005, 09:36 AM   #32
yoavy11
Founding Member

Default Re: How do we get'm to build what we want?

That's because it will still be in their new bikes lineup, like the Fat-Boy will. If not then they'll change the handle bars and give it a different name using the same parts.
yoavy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 09:41 AM   #33
maladg
Registered Member

Shut down NASA and put it all out to bid. Simple. And I don't plan to finance anything. That is what venture capital people do for you, me and our retirement accounts.

I'm up to speed on the delta between the shuttle vs rocket launch tech....

And I thought you read the WSJ. Only been in the ed pages for two days now....and I really don't agree with the WSJ Editorial Board that we should necessarily cut back on manned flights.

Weak. Try again.

And I think the rocket/NASA folks are some of the coolest ever. A cuz of my dad worked at Huntsville for VB at Redstone for a long, long time. It kinda hurts for me to say: scrap it. But the time for that has come, gone and come again.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 09:42 AM   #34
SRMark
Founding Member

Put Mert Lawwill, Ken Dreer and Rotax into a bag and shake. That Polaris/KTM marriage will produce some nice LC8 babies too.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 09:45 AM   #35
seruzawa
The Toad

A privatized shuttle would be far cheaper than a govt shuttle. The current shuttle was chosen not because it was the best idea but because it cost the most and meant the most pork for the most districts and thus pleased the most congressmen.

Just think of the savings when a privatized NASA undergoes the ineviable purge of the thousands of worthless bureaucrats, middle managers and paper pushers. Like any govt agency at least 2/3 of the staff are superfluous.

Old 08-11-2005, 09:45 AM   #36
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

I kinda agree with you on this one (but you're still a wanker)... Space Flight is already open to private industry.

There is no law against building your own spacecraft. In fact the ever innovating Burt Rutan recently produced a successful private spacecraft. Privatizing NASA won't result in anything that isn't already there. If Company X wants to colonize Mars, they're welcome to try....
Old 08-11-2005, 09:46 AM   #37
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Ha ha!

looks like jb got u there, lr.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:47 AM   #38
yoavy11
Founding Member

Sean said the new Honda Ridgewood(?) is excellent for bike hauling and good on gas.
yoavy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 09:48 AM   #39
maladg
Registered Member

Be still my beating heart!

Got change for a paradigm?

Maybe motorcycling has had a bit too much of the same old same old.

StreetRods, roomier Buells (and reliable!), edgy BMW styling (and no surging!), Guzzi's that work....Sportbike, schmortbike. Who cares?

Sportbike lovers may strenuously disagree. And good for you. I hope you get your wish for a motor competitive American sportbike. The more the merrier.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 09:48 AM   #40
Tigercub
Founding Member

Part 2.

This company would need to create a leapfrog technology, the likes of which, maybe we haven't seen yet.

Americans dominated Class C racing, until the foreigners came with their OHV twins. Rules were modified to allow the new bikes and that lasted until the Japs tried competing in the same spec class racing. That didn't work too well mostly because their machines had vastly superior technology and weren't allowed to compete. Eventually a new spec class appeared to allow them to race each other.

Dirt track racing is another excellent example.

So here we are with the market such as it is. A new company will simply try to grab a piece of the existing market with any machine similar to what is being built now.

What's needed is brand new technology - a cut above everything that exists today.

America is not about competing for existing market share. We're all about creating a new market!
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote