Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 08-11-2005, 09:07 AM   #11
VR1000racer
Founding Member

Default Re: How do we get'm to build what we want?

And in case you are wondering about my statements, take a look at the Honda CBR1000 and the Kawasaki ZX10RR. Both are awsome bikes, ALMOST competitive in racing, and they MIGHT sell 1,500 of each in the USA this year, and MAYBE 3,000 worldwide.

The Firebolt will sell that many every 90 days. In the USA.

The GSXR1000? Try less than 3,000 units in the USA, and maybe 5,000 worldwide each year, and every 2 years, another complete redesign for each one of them.

Oh yea, a big bore kit for a GSXR1000 is

$ 2,500 from Superbike Mike. Cams $ 1,000, Exhaust $ 500 and up.

I have not been able to find the same for the Honda CBR1000 or the ZX10RR. I am sure they are out there, I just don't have a few days to find them. (Or the interest)

A big bore kit for a Firebolt is less than $ 1,000

Cams are about $ 400, exhaust $ 400 etc.

This is not a slam on the Japanese bikes just a reality of manufacturing. Look at the cost of the latest Ducati 999's that are somewhat competitive with the Jap bikes. There is a reason that they cost $ 20,000+ to be able to run heads up. LOW volume and constant changes that have to be paid for somehow.
VR1000racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2005, 09:08 AM   #12
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Go ask Triumph if it can be done?

Longride was right in his analysis that Triumph was stupid to go head to head with the big 4. They were brave but they lost millions. I don't see how Harley/Buell would do it unless they quit selling their current bikes... Italian companies have trouble staying a float if they build sportbikes... From a consumer point of view why do we need another sportbike when the big four fiercely compete?

The 600 SS is the ultimate price/performance king do we need another competitor?
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 09:10 AM   #13
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Yep should of been here to see longride get his ass beat by a Canadian in the latest helmet debate.. One for the ages
Old 08-11-2005, 09:26 AM   #14
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Yeah I sure got beat all right. You and him have mandatory helmet laws. I don't. I'd rather be the loser in your mind any day.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:32 AM   #15
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

I did notice that you wore a good full-face helmet for your [b]..Good man... I was a little surprised but relieved that you didn't have an official HD skull cap.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:32 AM   #16
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

I did notice that you wore a good full-face helmet for your excellent Rod vs Rod article...Good man... I was a little surprised but relieved that you didn't have an official HD skull cap.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:37 AM   #17
seruzawa
The Toad

The last time I went to the local m/c junkyard (for a part for a Magna) I didn't see a single HD or BMW or Guzzi or Ducati or KTM or Husky. Nope. Only row after row and pile after pile of Japanese "junk".

Old 08-11-2005, 09:39 AM   #18
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I never said I don't wear helmets. In fact, I wear them most of the time. When I commute, which is every day so far this summer, I have worn it every day. They are certainly safer than not wearing one. Never have I said otherwise. I AM 100% against a helmet law. The government should stay out of the "life saving" business. They have many more areas they could screw up successfully. I am for stiffer licensing and training. Too many people that ride bikes they can't handle out there. Less crashes = less dying. I count on what's inside my head to keep me alive, not what I wear on the outside of it.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:43 AM   #19
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

" I am for stiffer licensing and training. Too many people that ride bikes they can't handle out there. Less crashes = less dying. I count on what's inside my head to keep me alive, not what I wear on the outside of it." Yep you have definitely won me over on that one.. Your were right and I was wrong (I say that to my wife all the time, I bet you aren't suprised are you?)
Old 08-11-2005, 09:44 AM   #20
johnnyb
Founding Member

priceless, govt. should stay out of it/ i am for stricter licensing tee hee...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote