Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 08-11-2005, 08:16 AM   #1
blitz
Founding Member

Default Re: Moving through traffic, CHP reccomendation?

I don't know of any organization or policy which states that this is either a good idea or legal.

However, when I have to drone along on multi-lane roads, this is what I do. Being slightly aggressive is the best defense. You're in more control of the situation.

When I moved to Iowa (a great place to be from) in 1987, i FLUNKED the written motorcycle test. The answers they provided were insane. If you were to follow their "rules," you wouldn't last long (suggestions like riding in the center of the lane, etc.) I complained, and the examiner said, "We hear that alot."

At the examiner's suggestion, I ended up keeping my Illinois license until I moved to Minnesota.

You could argue, but to what extent a judge is sympathetic is questionable. Maybe you'd get a judge who rides.

Good luck.
blitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2005, 08:44 AM   #2
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

"However, when I have to drone along on multi-lane roads, this is what I do. Being slightly aggressive is the best defense. You're in more control of the situation'
[*]When I commuted I definitely found your (blitz) method to be the best... But I probably would of received a ticket in the same situation as eisenfaust was in..[*] I had a MSF instructor that told me he avoided the HOV lane and the Fast lane and stuck to the slow lane at the speed limit. However, for me the merging and folks cutting you off to get to the exit in front of you drove me nuts using his strategy. I latter found out he lived in a rural area and only commuted to Seattle only to teach MSF on the weekends

Bottom line for me eisenfaust is that your strategy is safer but will may get you some tickets along the way...I definitely feel you have the right strategy and it is probably mentioned verbaly (with a wink of the eye) in MSF classes, Magazines, and off the record.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 08:45 AM   #3
johnnyb
Founding Member

i think caltrans or somebody has to do studies every now and then to determine like average speed on any given road, which is how they supposedly determine speed limits. If you could get info for the stretch of 101 you were on, and if it's same as speed you were cited for, maybe??

i think traffic judges are like the guys from bottom of barrel, tho, angry and not to be reasoned with much.

in LA u can do online traffic school, that's the best. no points, no wasted Saturday. Easiest solution.

johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 08:49 AM   #4
ValkBandit
Registered Member

the golden rule is not to stick out. don't go 10 mph faster than ambient traffic. five maybe. 10 ... no. you become an instant target

if traffic is humming along at 70 (which it often is in cali-fornicate) then you can get away with 75. not 80.

it helps if you ride a non-sport bike. cops assume touring bikes, standards, and cruisers are safer. they regard sport bikes as squid projectiles in search of the nearest organ donation stations.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 08:54 AM   #5
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

"i think traffic judges are like the guys from bottom of barrel, tho, angry and not to be reasoned with much."

Excellent Point.

Remember that guy who was nailed for allegedly doing 212 on an RC51... Sportbike Pilot made this big deal how you could fight it like Perry Mason. Heck most cases get 5 minutes with a quick judgement. Especially in large metro areas where the volume of cases is tremendous...

sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 09:18 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Oh well. We all get caught during "Quota Week" occasionally.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:07 AM   #7
yoavy11
Founding Member

My secret is go 100-120(depends on traffic), with a Solo S2 radar detector with an ear piece. That way you'll never be surprised from the back and you'll be mostly aware of whats going on in front of you.
yoavy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 03:05 PM   #8
nbyers
Registered Member

Default Moving through traffic, CHP reccomendation?

Ahhhh, you're screwed. Pay the man.

Sure wish us Pacific Northwesterners could get rid of one moving violation per year by taking traffic school.....

Course, then my riding would be even more hairball at times.
nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 03:55 PM   #9
eisenfaust
Founding Member

Heh. I dont expect to get this thrown out. Like I said, its been 5 years since I've had a ticket, I dont feel *too* bad about it. I figure maybe I can get the fine reduced a bit.

And I'm definitely doing traffic school. Heh.

And for the record, I ride an SV650. *shrug*
eisenfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 05:07 PM   #10
eddyline
Founding Member

Y'know, spb, the MSF class that I took last year was taught by a guy who rode EVERYWHERE, and he suggested lane one or two(if a 6 lane highway) and recommended only entering the slow lane when you need to exit the hwy. Seems much more reasonable to me. Also recommended doing no more than traffic speed, though I've been scared by race-ready cagers riding my rear wheel doing that. I do my best to get out of their way; they obviously need to get to the next red on PCH before I do....
eddyline is offline   Reply With Quote