Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 07-24-2005, 09:50 PM   #1
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Los Angeles Wants to Destroy Your Motorcycle

YIKES! Our MO videos are going to be a hell of a lot more boring from now on! -Sean

"Hello (insert big OEM name here) we're sorry to inform you that (editor X) just got busted for popping a wheelie on your test bike, and the really bad news is that the Cops crushed it."

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2005, 01:46 AM   #2
VR1000racer
Founding Member

I would think that this would violate the constitutional amendment against unreasonable search and seizure, but knowing the 9th circuit court, you guys in CA. are ***** out of luck.

Of course, you keep voting in liberals, so you deserve it.

By the way, this is the same bunch of liberals that created state law AB50, which bans manufacturing and ownership of any new 50 cal rifles after Jan. 1, 2005. That law is costing the state of CA. $ 9 million a year to enforce.

Who is affected? the 350 BMG 50 owners in CA.

Like Savage says, liberalism is a disease.

Regards,

VR1000Racer
VR1000racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 01:49 AM   #3
bod
Founding Member

I still am at a loss for why anyone would live in LA. How about electing some normal politicans. Have you thought about the fact that the LA motorcycle dealers are behind this because they could sell more bikes and the city will back it because it generates more taxes. I wonder how many of the bikes they impound will be stolen so it won't matter. AHH new theory HD is behind this so there sales will increase whens the last time you say a HD pulling a wheelie or even speeding theres your culprit.
bod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 01:53 AM   #4
eekadog
Founding Member

you must've missed the HD street rod review....MOron!!!!
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 02:00 AM   #5
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

It's just an extension of helmet laws. First, they make you wear a helmet to protect you from yourself, then they take your bike to protect you from yourself. It's johnnyb's wet dream! A Californy police state! Remember, owning your motorcycle is a privlidge, not a right. Just keep telling yourselves that.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:02 AM   #6
eekadog
Founding Member

Default the rise of $1000 hooligan bikes...

the stunters/racers will use cheaper bikes...those that choose not too ride cheaply will run from the police...

it's silly to think that you could be "fined" 30 grand if you have say a subaru sti...if you have a bike worth a grand you only lose the 10 franklins....

how can the government justify a difference of 29k for the same offense?

also what is the penalty for DUI in LA?....i would guess DUI kills more people than street racing.

eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 02:03 AM   #7
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I hear H-D is secretly funding Al-Qaida, and hiding Osama in an H-D dealership. They want them to bomb Japanese dealerships and create chaos so they can take over the motorcycle industry.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:04 AM   #8
sv1000rider
Founding Member

Although the implications for motorcycles are obvious, to me it sounds as if the law will impact automobiles as much if not more. I'm wondering why lawmakers chose this route vs. increasing punishment such as fines for "speed contests" or "displays of speed"? Was it for the shock value? Aren't elderly automobile drivers that kill and maim just as dangerous as stunters or racers? What about cage drivers that injure and kill motorcyclists due to talking on cell phones, running red lights and stopsigns, and turning left right in front them? Shouldn't their vehicles be destroyed to teach them all a lesson too?
sv1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 03:05 AM   #9
TwitchMacabre
Founding Member

Just to be clear, is this for LA City or County? I get to move to LA in the spring next year.
TwitchMacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 03:17 AM   #10
SRMark
Founding Member

Sounds like someone could contest this as being an unlawful seizure. The courts of appeal are gonna get jammed with this one. It is one thing to fine someone but an all-together different issue when taking someone's stuff. Things will get more contentious as the value of the asset seized becomes greater. I believe that constitutes a "taking" and the Supreme Court ends dealing up with a bunch of those issues, especially in the area of environmental law. And that opens up a whole buncha issues as we now consider the replacement of Supreme Court justices. Someone has to interpret what elected officials write up and the enforcement types try to enforce. We must choose wisely or face some serious losses of our rights.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote