Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO vs. World (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/)
-   -   Los Angeles Wants to Destroy Your Motorcycle (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/2947-los-angeles-wants-destroy-your-motorcycle.html)

SeanAlexander 07-24-2005 10:50 PM

Re: Los Angeles Wants to Destroy Your Motorcycle

YIKES! Our MO videos are going to be a hell of a lot more boring from now on! -Sean

"Hello (insert big OEM name here) we're sorry to inform you that (editor X) just got busted for popping a wheelie on your test bike, and the really bad news is that the Cops crushed it."

VR1000racer 07-25-2005 02:46 AM

I would think that this would violate the constitutional amendment against unreasonable search and seizure, but knowing the 9th circuit court, you guys in CA. are ***** out of luck.

Of course, you keep voting in liberals, so you deserve it.

By the way, this is the same bunch of liberals that created state law AB50, which bans manufacturing and ownership of any new 50 cal rifles after Jan. 1, 2005. That law is costing the state of CA. $ 9 million a year to enforce.

Who is affected? the 350 BMG 50 owners in CA.

Like Savage says, liberalism is a disease.

Regards,

VR1000Racer

bod 07-25-2005 02:49 AM

I still am at a loss for why anyone would live in LA. How about electing some normal politicans. Have you thought about the fact that the LA motorcycle dealers are behind this because they could sell more bikes and the city will back it because it generates more taxes. I wonder how many of the bikes they impound will be stolen so it won't matter. AHH new theory HD is behind this so there sales will increase whens the last time you say a HD pulling a wheelie or even speeding theres your culprit.

eekadog 07-25-2005 02:53 AM

you must've missed the HD street rod review....MOron!!!!

longride 07-25-2005 03:00 AM

It's just an extension of helmet laws. First, they make you wear a helmet to protect you from yourself, then they take your bike to protect you from yourself. It's johnnyb's wet dream! A Californy police state! Remember, owning your motorcycle is a privlidge, not a right. Just keep telling yourselves that.

eekadog 07-25-2005 03:02 AM

the rise of $1000 hooligan bikes...

the stunters/racers will use cheaper bikes...those that choose not too ride cheaply will run from the police...

it's silly to think that you could be "fined" 30 grand if you have say a subaru sti...if you have a bike worth a grand you only lose the 10 franklins....

how can the government justify a difference of 29k for the same offense?

also what is the penalty for DUI in LA?....i would guess DUI kills more people than street racing.

longride 07-25-2005 03:03 AM

I hear H-D is secretly funding Al-Qaida, and hiding Osama in an H-D dealership. They want them to bomb Japanese dealerships and create chaos so they can take over the motorcycle industry.

sv1000rider 07-25-2005 03:04 AM

Although the implications for motorcycles are obvious, to me it sounds as if the law will impact automobiles as much if not more. I'm wondering why lawmakers chose this route vs. increasing punishment such as fines for "speed contests" or "displays of speed"? Was it for the shock value? Aren't elderly automobile drivers that kill and maim just as dangerous as stunters or racers? What about cage drivers that injure and kill motorcyclists due to talking on cell phones, running red lights and stopsigns, and turning left right in front them? Shouldn't their vehicles be destroyed to teach them all a lesson too?

TwitchMacabre 07-25-2005 04:05 AM

Just to be clear, is this for LA City or County? I get to move to LA in the spring next year.

SRMark 07-25-2005 04:17 AM

Sounds like someone could contest this as being an unlawful seizure. The courts of appeal are gonna get jammed with this one. It is one thing to fine someone but an all-together different issue when taking someone's stuff. Things will get more contentious as the value of the asset seized becomes greater. I believe that constitutes a "taking" and the Supreme Court ends dealing up with a bunch of those issues, especially in the area of environmental law. And that opens up a whole buncha issues as we now consider the replacement of Supreme Court justices. Someone has to interpret what elected officials write up and the enforcement types try to enforce. We must choose wisely or face some serious losses of our rights.

JLWarrior 07-25-2005 04:23 AM

Just another sign of the end of our society as we once knew it.

Buzglyd 07-25-2005 04:33 AM

Damn Republicans.

christian_gates 07-25-2005 04:35 AM

It's that perponderance of the evidence bit that gets me. That's a pretty low bar for state-sponsored legal action; I thought that (I'm not an attorney) this was the standard applied in civil cases - applying it in what amounts to adjunct to a criminal case is a pretty big stretch. Thank the Maker that I don't live in CA.

Rsduce 07-25-2005 04:42 AM

So, lemme get this straight..... if you speed/wheelie/think about speeding or even if they just think you have a fast looking bike......you are going to jail and they are going to take your bike away? You might as well just run. Guess we will have a lot more bike chases to watch on "Cops"!

stoney8888 07-25-2005 04:56 AM

on't forget that they will take it from you even if you look like you could at one time be doing wheelies. Not that many bikes out there worth riding tht look like they can't wheelie. GOOD LUCK

Fenton 07-25-2005 05:55 AM

Does that include the Boxster I blew off this morning on my way to work? It was no "contest." Will that hold up in court?

seruzawa 07-25-2005 06:01 AM

Stay out of LA? Oh please. What a horrible thing to consider (snicker).

All those soccer moms and their drones of husbands are reading this and saying, "Good, I hate them darned murdercyles".

All those big supporters of the War on Drugs can take partial credit for this next "logical" extension of the forfeiture statutes.

More evidence that California is rapidly becoming a third world nation. This is the sort of thing usually you'd expect to see in Mexico or Zimbabwe. A real wet dream for corrupt politicans. Though since this is California the word "corrupt" is redundant.

I'm glad I live in Red-State Jesusland where the state legislature recently restricted the ability of the govt to engage in forfeitures. I hope you Angelenos enjoy your "progressiveness". How does it feel to be chattel?

caderider 07-25-2005 06:01 AM

Dammit! :)

Buzglyd 07-25-2005 06:14 AM

Get yer terminolody straight.

It's called an "Enlightened, Secular Society."

bod 07-25-2005 06:15 AM

hey easy on us repubs its our radical wing that gives us a bad name the rest of us want to wheelie and speed just like the dems and the commies

seruzawa 07-25-2005 06:23 AM

Or a "Lightened Wallet" society.

Chango 07-25-2005 06:45 AM

Re: the rise of $1000 hooligan bikes...

Actually, it says that if your race your STi (or even drive it in a way that Officer Friendly doesn't particularly like because it's his time of the month) then you can lose your STi just like you lose your bike.

I agree with you about the DUI thing. It's funny. More people are killed by drunk driving than by handguns but I have to pass a background check and wait to buy a handgun... Let alone a 50 cal...

Chango

sportbike_pilot 07-25-2005 06:54 AM

How do you know that this issue was foisted on us by liberals? Most seizure laws that I am familar with have their origins in war on drugs that originated back in the 80's with the Regan administration which, the last time I checked, was not widely considered a bastion of liberal ideology.

In the current ra ra cops and firemen are your only defense against the forces of evil mode in which we find ourselves we fed the line that the authorities need extraordinary power to restrict our liberties to protect our precious freedoms (al la the USA Patriot act)! Again, not a paradigm widely championed by liberals.

So where are you getting your information pard, besides conservative talk radio?

This is not a liberal or conservative issue, it is a civil liberties issue and unless you are a libertarian you have no high ground to claim here. Libverals and conservatives are, unfortunately, competing for the bonehead cup when it comes to protection of civil liberties in our society.

-martin

longride 07-25-2005 06:59 AM

It's what they deserve after not voting in Gary Coleman as Governor.

longride 07-25-2005 07:02 AM

You know Martin, if you stick your head out of your compound like this, somebody is going to take a shot. Make sure the dogs have the perimeter secured before getting careless! LOL

tupzrs4 07-25-2005 07:06 AM

Just one more reason to leave the "Gestapo State" .

johnnyb 07-25-2005 07:09 AM

well, i don't know, but i wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that LA isn't the only place with laws like that on the books. This stuff started, like Col. Hackworth stated, with the War on Drugs allowing seizure of your car, house, boat, etc.

Sure it's unconstitutional but how many guys who get their gsxrs seized are going to have the time/money to contest...

blaming it on "liberals" makes me laugh. I didn't know we were the Law and Order guys so much...

AKDavis 07-25-2005 07:17 AM

I have a hard time NOT wheelying on my Buell XB12. No wonder they sold it to me so cheap! They knew I'd be buying a replacement soon!

eddyline 07-25-2005 07:20 AM

Well, he's definitely got the HD biker beard going....

eddyline 07-25-2005 07:21 AM

Oh, nothing wrong with *owning* it; you just can't *ride* it.

sportbikebandit 07-25-2005 07:25 AM

"blaming it on "liberals" makes me laugh. I didn't know we were the Law and Order guys so much..."

Yep I agree. It's amazing to hear Red-Staters not complain about drug seizure laws. Since if you are truly conservative you would support the property rights of individuals over the state's ability to seize property. Now that the state is expanding the scope of seizure laws they start to complain... Where is the touted conservative consistency view of personal liberty?

giuliom 07-25-2005 07:36 AM

Before everyone gets his panties up in a bunch and we start bashing LA (which is actually a pretty nice place to live), notice it says "vehicle". I can tell you that the code was passed because of the preponderance of illegal street drag racing (actually not far from where I live), which has caused many accidents involving innocent people. For street racers, speeding tickets are just a nuisance, so the rules were changed. I don't know of a single case where this has been applied to garden variety speeding, or even wheelies. Could it be used then? Maybe, but then there are a lot of laws in the books that if applied strictly would make everyone scream. Take Valium, relax, LA is still fine and, no, it's not the liberals, it was actually the cops who wanted this....

sarnali 07-25-2005 07:40 AM

This has been standard procedure here in the Peoples Republic of Washington for years, and yes it stems from Ronnies "War On Drugs" It also applies to property such as homes, RV's acreage, anything used for "drug related or criminal activity" IE; Family vacation to Canada, junior gets caught with some B.C. bud, grampa looses the motorhome, since junior lives with gramma and grampa guess what happens if the little s**t has some stash in his basement bedroom?.

You can fight it and win, but it's going to cost you some serious money to do it.

sportbike_pilot 07-25-2005 07:43 AM

I knew that the fireman crack would arouse you from your heatstroke induced torpor.

How about Seru and me take on you and Buzz in Survivor Intermountain West? City Slickers vs. Mountain Men.

Damn - it's been 30 minutes and no one has jumped on the paradigm comment. Wassup with that? It must be hot everywere but here. :)

longride 07-25-2005 07:43 AM

I told you and JB to stick your helmet laws up your ass forever plus one day. I'd say that's pretty consistent.

sarnali 07-25-2005 07:44 AM

good one

iamz 07-25-2005 07:45 AM

I could not agree with you more.

Buzglyd 07-25-2005 07:46 AM

I'll out-antique all of you! Plus it now takes me 15 minutes to order a single cup of coffee!

iamz 07-25-2005 07:47 AM

Speaking of "seize and destroy". You'll want to keep those dogs locked in the house and well hidden if they are pitbulls and you live in Denver, Colorado.

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlf...er%20dog%20law

johnnyb 07-25-2005 07:47 AM

good argument (for you)