Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 07-17-2005, 07:28 PM   #1
K1200LTE
Registered Member

Default Re: Godspeed, Christian

That sucks.

Looks like a Ural rig. Any word on the actual cause? A mechanical of some kind? Blow out?

Prayers to the family.
K1200LTE is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-17-2005, 07:46 PM   #2
ECCORE
Founding Member

Sad. What else is there to say.
ECCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 08:02 PM   #3
mts
Founding Member

Best of wishes to the family.
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 09:14 PM   #4
ebass
Founding Member

I just found out about this hours ago, and at this point, know nothing more than you about the details of what happened. I do know quite a bit, however about Christian Neuhauser the man, because he was not just my boss...he was my friend.

Christian was a true "rider". He was not about tech specs, or lap times, or posing, he was about the magic of the ride. He was about what hapens when a man and his machine meet a fantastic road and a beatific terrior and the profound emotions, revelations, and fascinations that go along with those sacred moments. He was moved enough to start a magazine paying tribute to "the ride", and he was utterly exacting in his pursuit of the distillation of its essence.

Christian was a force of nature, with more energy than a man half his age, and certainly more than I could keep up with! He would ride me into the ground, drink me under the table, and then wake me up in the morning, banging on my door to drag me out for more.

He loved his wife and his two sons, and he wouldn't have wanted to die any other way than on a motorcycle. Just not so soon.

In the recent past, we in the motojournalism community have suffered some very near misses. Arthur Coldwells and Jeff Buchanan of Robb Report Motorcycling, Mel Moore of Kawasaki, even Sean and Dale Alexander as well as myself have traded in 9th lives we didn't know we had. Nonetheless, until we lose a comrade like Christian, it doesn't wholly set in what it is that we are risking in order to pursue our passion.

Be safe all of you. Go forth, have a great ride today, and think kindly of Christian as you do, for I am certain that he will be thinking of, and watching over, all of you.

Your friend,

Eric Bass
ebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 02:08 AM   #5
maladg
Registered Member

What a terrible thing to hear on a sunny Monday morning. I've subscribed to RoadRunner since about the 3rd or 4th issue. We delighted in the "germanish" prose, beautiful photography, useful maps and on and on.

I hope that Christian's family, friends and business associates will pull together now and continue to make RoadRunner an ongoing success. What better way to honor him?

maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 02:29 AM   #6
dbb
Registered Member

Likewise, as a subscriber to Roadrunner, I will miss Christian. I always looked forward to receiving the latest issue in large part due to the enthusiastic writing on Christian's part. His love of motorcycling in all its forms (the scooter section is always fun) was up front and unabashed.

He will be sorely missed. My deepest sympathies to Christa, Florian and Manuel. Does anyone know is anything is being done in the way of contributions for the family?
dbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 03:12 AM   #7
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I really hate to hear these stories. We aren't guaranteed any amount of time in life. I never take that for granted. My condolences to his family and friends. I too read ROADRUNNER, and only knew Christian through his words and pictures. Just like when Greg McQuide died, I felt like a lost a comrade.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:35 AM   #8
kbasa
Founding Member

Greg was a friend of mine, I have his old airhead. And now, we lose another one.

So sad. So very, very sad.
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 04:46 AM   #9
coberholtzer
Founding Member

My prayers are for his wife and children. I wish them the best in this very difficult time.
coberholtzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 05:03 AM   #10
ebass
Founding Member

Default A few more details

I just spoke with Chris Myers, who is RoadRUNNER's Editor and based in NC. He went down to the accident site and gave me a description of what he saw. According to Chris, there is a tight, downhill, right-turning cloverleaf that leads to a 4-lane business district thoroughfare with a very short accelleration ramp of just a couple hundred feet. According to Chris, the skidmarks from the Ural sidecar begin on the cloverleaf and the impact took place in the left lane, before the acceleration ramp even ends. Basically, it looks like Christian lost control of the sidecar and shot in front of the truck. Whether it was due to technical malfunction, rider error, or obstacle avoidance, we may never know and certainly don't at this point, but I'm just passing on what I've heard to those of you who, like me, are searching for answers.

ebass is offline   Reply With Quote