Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 06-08-2005, 12:40 PM   #41
iamz
Founding Member

Default Re: Just Like a Biker Movie

So touring across the states on my motorcycle every summer isn't getting out in the real world?

And I'm self rightous because I'll tend to first take the side of law enforcment?

Now you are calling me a racest ? I'm not following that one.

And you are still upset over the Waste Managment discussion?

I think it would do you some good to follow your namesake and take a long ride. Get rid of some of that anger your holding on to.

iamz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2005, 01:09 PM   #42
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Well, I wasn't going to reply to this thread any more, but in the spirit of good faith, I'll make one more effort.</p>

I had referred to you as self-righteous because of your tone. But if you really want to know what make someone self-righteous, consider your own words...</p>

"And I am willing to dismiss it because my own history with the police has never involved harassment by them."</p>

Apparently your own experience is the only one in the world that counts. That just makes you self-absorbed. But you go on to dismiss other people because their experience is different from your own, that makes you self-righteous.</p>
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 01:16 PM   #43
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Defending Sheriff Daniel.

Being from a small town, this doesn't surprise me at all. Nor do I blame them. It's a numbers thing. One time the Hells Angels came through our town, fortunately the Sheriff (we didn't have a police force) got a heads up from our Utah neighbors. The Sheriff called out the Sheriffs Posse. Over 100 men with guns and the authorization to use them. Needless to say nothing happened to my pretty home town. The Angels didn't even stop to chat as every side street was covered with a Posse member. In towns that have limited manpower I can see why Sheriff Daniel did what he did.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 01:20 PM   #44
edward44
Founding Member

Checked out their website and they may not be all that bad but they seem to like posing as bad asses. Maybe this is a job for the ACLU.

http://www.vagosmc.com/html/vmc_6.html
edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 01:32 PM   #45
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

longride has it right i.e "lilly white small town thing. " I suspect my home town would have a similar response. These guys might OK guys but they look like bad guys and the Sheriff is elected in these little towns you know...
Old 06-08-2005, 01:33 PM   #46
mile_eater
Founding Member

So wait... this happened in liberal oregon? I thought it was the right-wing nut cases that were so intolerant?

Seems like every couple of weeks I read some different story which provides me yet one more reason to never visit the left coast....

Of course... I figure.... Kpaul's over there... So I reckon that's reason enough in itslef to impose a lifetime ban.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:38 PM   #47
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

LOL Grants Pass is not a liberal part of Oregon. Oregon is liberal only in the most populous areas. i.e its blue in the cities red in rural areas just like everywhere else in the US. Hey I am conservative fiscally but liberal socially so I love the west coast. Smart people, great climate, lots to do, great schools, great companies. Ride your motorcycle down 101 and Highway 1 and then make a judgement. Diversity is a good thing.

Old 06-08-2005, 01:39 PM   #48
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Most everyone who's weighed in on this has ridden various motorcycles long distances both here in the states and abroad. A few of the folks involved in this discussion are well past the million mile mark. How does your experience in this regard make you more qualified than anyone else here to render judgement on this?

And the fact that you seem willing to accept the cops take on this uncritically is what's got you on the tune up stand. Nothing else. Taken at face value this is an egregious, fairly obvious case if misuse of police powers. Playing devil's advocate is fine, but that isn't what you are up to here, is it?

I am sure that the citizens of Grant's Pass have better issues to which a helicopter (> $1200.00 per hour operating expenses), a mobile operations post and lots of overtime may be devoted than illegal turn signals and proof of insurance. Yep - homeland security is certianly at risk there. I wonder if your car gets stolen or your home is broken into in Grant's Pass if the police devote the same resources to setting that right?

-martin
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 01:48 PM   #49
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Defending Sheriff Daniel.

Just playing devils advocate here, but what if this club just rode into town, bought a bunch of gas, stopped somewhere for lunch, then left? In that case they are nothing more than American citizens excersizing their constitutional and God given right to free movement. They are tourists, doing what every other tourist does, the fact that they belong to a motorcycle club and ride bikes all of a sudden makes them criminals?

Do you, or did the Grants Pass P.D. think they were going to start selling crank on the side of the road to school kids like a god damn ice cream man? It's been my experiance on club runs that you mind your own buisness and don't cause problems for the club. You're a long way from home, along way from any kind of support and in fact usually have your wife or girlfriend along, the last thing you need or want is confrontation with a bunch of hick town cops that watch too much TV.

Unless members were actually observed breaking the law they have the same rights and protections as any other citizen. This is just an expensive excersize in overreaction.

Factor in the costs in overtime and resources and any lost revenue from gas and food sales, plus having half your police force tied up in court, plus the other crimes being comitted while the PD is engaged in this exercize in futility and you see the real problem.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 01:58 PM   #50
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Re: Defending Sheriff Daniel.

I hear you. But growing up in a small town before cable TV, satiellite TV etc. I know this is just how people in the red parts of the country i.e. small towns, think. The don't like folks to divert from the norm... Hey where I grew up went 80% for W last time. Now if they were Shriners, Lions, Elks, etc on Harleys or scooters. they would have been given the key to the city (all 10 blocks of it). However, in a small town if you look like trouble and you are using our town to play in then we want to leave. It's not right nor PC but when you have one elected Sheriff and a few deputies ....