Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 05-24-2005, 09:43 AM   #21
SRMark
Founding Member

Default Re: Okay, you asked for it...

Oh my!
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-24-2005, 10:17 AM   #22
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default Re: Hmmm...

Actually ........ Yes

Lets get a charity Supermoto event. Get a bunch of equally preped 250 4st or 450 4st supermoto bikes in a open stadium course. Team Rossi with Angelina, Mladin with Leno, etc...etc...

Pull retired MC racing legends out, mixed thoroughly with modern MC racers and team them with stars who ride. Best combined finishing positions gets the big payout to the charity(ies) of the teams choice.

Suzuki sponsers the bikes, ABC televises, the BIG corporate sponser stadium gets play, MC racing gets a boost, stars get to spout about their fave charity, and get face time. MO can get exclusive behind the scene coverage, and who doesn't want to see Angelina Jolie in racing leathers!!!!!

Its a win win all around. Come on Buz break open the check book to front the event.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 11:05 AM   #23
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default I wonder...

Whaddaya think about the same idea, only using 50cc sport-bikes? Would it be possible to lay-down a mini road-racing-track in a stadium? I don't know about Leno on a 50, though

It's all sorta depressing. Here we are with possibly the greatest-road-racer ever coming to Laguana, and nobody outside of us cares! Newsweek: nothing. Time: nada. Weekly Reader: who knows? If nothing else, every motorcycle magazine, on every news-stand should have the story plasterd over it's cover: Bright Colors! - Bold Print!

VALENTINO IS COMING!!

Nothing else, just that!

Old 05-25-2005, 04:21 AM   #24
Andrew_Mai
Registered Member

Default Re: A Little Quantifying Music, Please!

> Lack of space leads to another problem for motorcycle racing - identifying the bikes during the race.

Solution: HDTV! (Yeah, right... in your dreams... )
Andrew_Mai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 05:25 AM   #25
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Unfortunately, you're probably right!

It's likely that someday we will all have HDTV. But even with HDTV and a 50"screen, it would still be hard distinguishing individual bikes – if they don’t have easily recognizable paint schemes.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:44 AM   #26
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Huh?

Where did this come from?:

"i prefer the fact that racing motorcycles on pavement is way more exciting than racing on dirt."

Are you saying this from a participation or observation viewpoint?

Having done both, I find dirt and road racing equally interesting. However, I dirt race a whole lot more than I road race.

Perhaps you are referring to the newfound popularity of motocross amoung younger folks. Motocross has a couple of advantages:

1. "Extreme MX" is seen as new, cool, iconoclastic, and dangerous (which it is). Profiling by the "Metal Mulisha" helps.

2. Anybody can buy an MX bike reasonably cheaply and hold inpromptu races in a vacant lot. I know, this gets harder to do all the time, but it's still a lot easier than running from the police on the street. Also, legitimate amateur MX is an order of magnitude cheaper than road racing, in just about all respects.

3. MX has an African-American superhero. Bubba Stewart has appeared on the cover of a couple of culturally targeted magazines and is seen as another Tiger Woods. Crowds at the MX nationals have changed significantly in the past couple of years. He's getting a lot of attention, andis already being steered to a career in, you guessed it, NASCAR. Rumor has it he will go to 4 wheels on a E-ticket ride.

This doesn't even get near the other dirt competition regimes like flat track, trials, enduro, cross country, or long distance rallies.

Old 05-25-2005, 08:27 AM   #27
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default Re: Isle of Man TT TV coverage

This just in from superbikeplanet.com

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2005/May/050525a.htm

It seems that the PPIR races out drew ESPN and ESPN2 on sunday and it seems that it was the highest rated racing coverage they've had on speed this year. Souds like good news to me.

Also they have an anouncement about a charity auction of Rossi and Edwards gear to include race passes to the US GP.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:46 AM   #28
Buzglyd
Founding Member

The ratings were probably high because the yokels had their TVs on waiting for the ARCA race to start.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 11:25 AM   #29
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Hmmm...

Ride a B50 through a tunnel of gasoline-soaked haybales right after they've been lit off with a road flare.

Superbike no-hands championship? Egg-toss?

Valmobile make-over?
Old 05-31-2005, 02:24 PM   #30
boprocity
Founding Member

This has been a really interesting thread to read. I moved to Boston about 10 years ago and no longer have cable. The only racing info I get is from the web and magazine articles. As a result, I really have little interest in or knowledge of motorcyle racing. I go nuts for it when I can see it, but the lack of network coverage has really effected my interest in the sport. I still ride (daily), and I've watched 'Faster' and the Isle of Man reviews about a thousand times. But there is a disconnect. Rather than e-mailing Fox/Speed, maybe we should also contac the sanctioning bodies and advocate for a better media deal. Both F1 and Champ Car have media packages that broadcast races on both network and cable channels to increase the fanbase. Maybe this would work for bikes?