Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 05-24-2005, 04:10 AM   #11
pushrod
Founding Member

Default Re: Isle of Man TT TV coverage

We had a thread running on this forum a coupla months ago concerning SPEED, and the dearth of Motorcycle programming.

The bottom line is that the two-wheeled audience doesn't amount to a pile of beans to their audience demographic. We should be thankful we get TWT.

They can't get much in the way of sponsorship, either. As an indication of that, didja notice how long they were running American Thunder, sponsored by Indian Motorcycles after Indian went TU? Now the show's major sponsor is a minor "custom" motorcycle builder (Vengeance).

So, e-mail them and belly-ache all you want, but try to be constructive. That is, make your complaint, but offer a suggestion like the one above, to air the programming at zero-dark-thirty so we can tape/tivo it.

My $.02 worth.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-24-2005, 05:09 AM   #12
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Perhaps Speed is focusing its coverage more on the Isle of Lucy.

It would probably get better ratings.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 05:56 AM   #13
dmoon64
Registered Member

Lucy Lawless.........mmmmmmmmmmm
dmoon64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 06:43 AM   #14
SRMark
Founding Member

With the Manx symbol being the Trie Cassyn (three leg) could there be a more manly place?
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 06:45 AM   #15
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default A Little Quantifying Music, Please!

Putting together a road-racing channel would be a major hassle. As much as I love motorcycle road racing – and seeing more of it on TV, would be great – it does have it’s problems. First there’s the two major sanctioning bodies - the AMA and FIM. Then there’s the myriad race-series they control - AMA: Super Bike, Super Sport, Formula Extreme, Super Stock – and, FIM: 125Gp, 250Gp, MotoGp, Super Bike and Super Sport – not to mention, events like the Isle of Man (and any number I’ve missed). That’s a lot of racing to cover, continents to cross, executives to schmooze, sponsors to beg, and enough contracts to keep a law firm the size of Rhode Island busy for a year. While I’m not privy to this sort of information, I’m sure that every motorcycle publication (including MO) has crunched-the-numbers on fielding a cable channel. And I’m pretty sure that because of the above problems, it hasn’t happened.

On the other hand, NASCAR is a single governing body, with a manageable number of bothersome issues. Events, race series, race teams and drivers: all need to be kept tack of and kept in line. Another advatage to NASCAR is that it offers considerably more space on their cars, for sponsors to advertise upon.

Lack of space leads to another problem for motorcycle racing - identifying the bikes during the race. IÂ’m an avid race-watcher, and IÂ’m always losing track of whoÂ’s-who and whatÂ’s-what. For the casual viewer thatÂ’s gotta be murder!

Old 05-24-2005, 06:47 AM   #16
SRMark
Founding Member

Default Re: Pardon Me While I shoot My TV

I missed the coverage of the AAGE? Damn!
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:09 AM   #17
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default We need a break-through event!

Thirty years ago, Billy Jean King played Bobby Riggs on TV. The rating were thru-the-roof and afterwards, tennis and tennis players were everywhere. That's why I've been hoping for Mladin to go to MotoGp, and go head-to-head with Valentino Rossi. Unfortunately, Mladin's getting up-there, and Rossi's preparing to bail.

Motorcycle road-racing needs something to hang it's hat on. A Big Event! Something Stupendous!

Any Ideas?
Old 05-24-2005, 07:15 AM   #18
pushrod
Founding Member

Default Re: We need a break-through event!

How about coverage (or UN-coverage) of Angelina Jolie "learning to ride" her dual-purpose (welfare/humanitarian) bike?

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:04 AM   #19
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Okay, you asked for it...

It's a Hole-new experence!
Old 05-24-2005, 09:05 AM   #20
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Hmmm...