Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 05-22-2005, 09:29 PM   #1
Pinkslip
Founding Member

Default Re: Oh the Humanity

First Post!

A lot of dealers prefer to get you to use their financing. Perhaps they just don't want you to use another credit union.

I only bought one new bike, and it was through Honda's financing, so I got no such attitude.
Pinkslip is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-22-2005, 10:51 PM   #2
eekadog
Founding Member

just move on to the next dealer.
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 12:39 AM   #3
Grum
Registered Member

Take all the necessary cash with you in a suitcase. Say, "I'd like to buy that now.", and open the bag. I bet they still won't bite.

It's like trying to buy a Big Mac without being offered fries. "Say! You're right! I would like some fries with that, now you mention it. Why didn't I think of it?"
Old 05-23-2005, 01:36 AM   #4
bod
Founding Member

Hmm... this is interesting Ive experienced the same problem with cage dealers...I think they dont like money yeah thats it there commies and dont like money...my wife must not be a commie she always takes my money without question or permission now that I think about it...
bod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 01:59 AM   #5
VR1000racer
Founding Member

Commies?

Bod, you are dating yourself.

I haven't heard anyone use "Commies" in about 20 years now. (Back in my Regan Navy days!)

I have to proudly say that I was thrown out of my local Suzuki dealer (Springfield Suzuki/Kawasaki) in 1998 and have not been back! I went in with cash in hand to buy a new TL1000R, at full boat, "first on my block to own one" and the dealer was/is a total **** to me.

The owner was puting tags on the jet ski handlebars, and the parts guy was standing at the parts counter. A "salesman" was talking to a looker about a cruiserbike.

By this time several other people had came in and were looking at bikes, and a mother with her son was at the parts counter. After standing around for about 15 minutes while being ignored, I asked the owner for some help with the TL1000R, as they had 3 of them, 2 blues, and one yellow, and I wanted to buy one.

His response? the salesman will be with me when he is done helping his customer!

This REALLY pissed me off, so I asked in a rather loud voice, did he know if there was still a Suzuki dealer in Marionville, and was it open on Saturday mornings, as I wanted to buy a TL1000R, and maybe they had one that they wanted to sell.

I wound up buying a Moto Guzzi Sport 1100 from a motorcycle Dealer in Mt. Vernon, Ohio.

I have never have been back into a Suzuki dealership since then.

I think the Guzzi was a good choice, as I am now really into bikes with 'Character" like 1/2 turn throttles with springs that make a Studebaker clutch spring seem weak!

Oh well, that is why dealers get a bad reputation.

By the way, I have bought several bikes on E-bay, and LOVE it. No dealer BS, and you get what you want, at the price you are willing to pay, and not a penny more.

Mark
VR1000racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 02:10 AM   #6
jumper-2001
Founding Member

Speaking as a person who knows several car salesmen, I know that dealers usually make more money by financing the car through their own credit company than they make in profit selling the car (or bike), especially on the lower price (and profit) ones. Thats why they want you to finance it through them. The problem is that the interest rates at the dealers usually suck, as they are usually several points higher than you could get through a bank or credit union. And many use deceptive financing tactics, forcing their customers to pay rates more than twice the current rate.
jumper-2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 02:26 AM   #7
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

How you are financing is probably bugging them. I'm sure if you were using the dealer approved financing, those problems would go away. Still surprised they would possibly lose a sale over a small amount of cash.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:30 AM   #8
sv1000rider
Founding Member

You think that's bad. Try buying a motorcycle with a credit card! They will tell you to F.O. I am amazed that so many dealerships with such poor customer service continue to stay in business. I think it's testimony to the motorcycle market in general the past several years; high demand. However, when the bust comes, those dealerships that have excellent customer service stand the best chance to survive. In the meantime, I think whenever a negative experience occurs that a letter of complaint should be fired out to the company. But how many of us do that? I know I should have sent letters in the past but of course after I left the dealer, I cooled off and blew it off.
sv1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 02:31 AM   #9
fyodordos
Founding Member

Man, good to hear other experiences. Maybe we should start a support group?

Wait, is this it?
fyodordos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 03:02 AM   #10
wayback
Founding Member

Number one -- always, always complain in writing. The results can sometimes be very surprizing, and sometimes justice is served.

Write two letters, one to the dealership manager / owner and one to a manufacturer rep. Make sure they each know that you sent the same letter to the other. Usually there's a regional manager or someone like that and it's easy to find an address. If you're really annoyed, write to the national sales organization. I personnaly will also write to the highest person in the organization I can find. Once in a while it will be like a black hole but usually you get some response.

Remember to keep the letter polite, professional and factual, and stick to the incident in question. Use spell check for goodness sake!

You might toss in the question -- if this is how customers can expect to be treated at this dealership why should I or anyone else ever go back?

wayback is offline   Reply With Quote