Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 05-23-2005, 03:54 AM   #21
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Oh the Humanity

I'm not talking about dealers necessarily. He mentioned he won't accept CC in his business.

I understand the grinding that goes on. I worked for a short period of time in a multi-line dealer in SoCal as well.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2005, 04:22 AM   #22
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I think you're just throwing out bait to see if buttbandit strikes.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:26 AM   #23
bbtowns
Founding Member

I must be in the minority as I've bought 3 new bikes, and one used one from a dealer (Ducati, so not cheap) and they've always taken my check. Other than offering financing no problems at all. Perhaps laws or custom varies by State?

Bryan-OR
Old 05-23-2005, 04:26 AM   #24
sv1000rider
Founding Member

Default Reasonable profit question

Not to get totally off-topic here but I have a question that hopefully someone currently or previously intimately involved in motorcycle sales can answer. Here's the scenario: A two or three-year old motorcycle has been sitting in a showroom (alright it's a Triumph/Moto Guzzi/Ducati/etc.) The dealer is obviosly wanting to get rid of it but still wants to make SOME money. Keeping in mind all the incentives from the factory to the dealer, how much money is a reasonable amount for a dealer to expect to make as a percentage of the bike's cost to him? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
sv1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 05:04 AM   #25
red916
Founding Member

Something else is going on here. I am a motorcycle salesman at a 4-line dealership in Southern California as well. A customer walks in and wants to pay full freakin' retail? Damn man, have a seat. Can I get you a cup of coffee? A customer like that gets the royal treatment.
red916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 05:17 AM   #26
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Perhaps he forgot to mention he was planning to use Confederate money.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:20 AM   #27
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I did that once, walked into a Honda dealer. with a couple Glendale Federal Savings bank bags full of $50.00 dollar bills. The sales manager freaked out "You can't do that!"

They wouldn't accept it! Had to give a BIG downpayment ($2,000.00 cash) and finance the rest (About $1,000.00). Made no sense to me. Honda of Glendale again. They got back at me by leaving the air cleaner element out of the bike (83 XL600).

Guess it cut into their plans of world domination done on the installment plan. Rat bastards.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:34 AM   #28
seruzawa
The Toad

Who me?

Well, not exactly. I went looking at a few used private party sportbikes last week. Each was a flagged out beast at moronically high asking prices. Do people really take Kelly Blue Book seriously? I also never knew that so many people thought that the backfiring caused by an unrejetted aftermarket exhaust is normal. (Well, 2 people anyhow.)

One guy had a ZX7 with a primary drive that rattled and banged and was nearly terminal.... he tried to tell me that it was a loose chain.

Yeah, I know it's spring, but a 1988 Ninja 750 is not worth $1650.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:50 AM   #29
fyodordos
Founding Member

To the dealers who replied (and I'm glad you did), I can only assure you that from my perspective, there was nothing else going on.

In two cases, I was talking to the owner, and all the examples occured in KY and IN.

All I can tell you is that it baffles me, and the kind souls who replied with comparisons to McDonald's fries, commies, and other paying frustrations rang true.
fyodordos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 05:53 AM   #30
drthompson65
Founding Member

I recently had a similar experience. After years of lust I finally decided to get a Ducati. I accepted the valve adjustments and the higher cost of ownership but I really want a Duc. After research I was down to the 998 or 999. I did some searching and found a local dealer with a 04 998SFE and a 04 999. With Ducati's recently promo and cash back both bikes where within my price range. I worked through Ducati/GE credit, got approved on the 998SFE and told them I would pick it up in a weeks time (I had to go out of town on business). The Ducati/GE financing was 2.9% with nothing down. When I got back from my trip expecting the bike to be prepped ready to go I found out it was shipped off to another dealership within there chain and sold. When I asked "why" I was told that I Didn't have any money down on the bike and the other person had CA$H (get this - I found out later the bike was never purchase and is still down at that dealership. The "cash" guy never came back!) After some fighting with the sales manager and stuffing there own "small writting" down there throats (IE: by signing this you are commited to a deal) I was able to wrangle a better deal on a 2004 999 (almost 7k off and they picked up taxes and fees). Needless to say stealerships leave a lot to be desired include Ducati..

2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote