Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 05-17-2005, 09:43 AM   #1
Stonedog
Founding Member

Default Re: Snell vs. Motorcyclist

First Post? Now I can go read the article.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-17-2005, 10:09 AM   #2
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Well, that was a pretty poorly written letter from the SNELL foundation, but I think I'll still buy helmets with SNELL ratings. Remember last year when that racer crashed and wound up doing backward sumersaults. How many times did his head whip around and wack the pavement?
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 10:44 AM   #3
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

Why am I not looking forward to my ride home anymore?
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 10:46 AM   #4
BMob
Founding Member

The direct link for the article is
http://www.smf.org/pdf/btlo_response.pdf

Enjoy!
BMob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 10:51 AM   #5
BMob
Founding Member

I do not know about you guys, but I feel good about my Raider helmet purchase since I read Motorcyclist's article. After all, what sort of round objects would I be likely to strike on asphalt? I could see striking rocks off road, but are roads not primarily flat? There is 9% chance of striking curbs, so what about the other 91%? I would personally prefer to have less G's travelling through my brain just to be on the safe side . . .
BMob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 10:52 AM   #6
sarnali
Founding Member

Motocyclist magazine:You're full of s**t,

Snell Foundation: No YOU're full of s**t

Questions?.....
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 11:12 AM   #7
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Welcome to the world of scientific debate. This is great because it's an window into the world of how scientific and engineering principles are sometimes not so clear as we'd like to think. As far as I can see both sides have some points in their favor. I, for one, think that this debate will ultimately lead us to better head protection which is the goal. Salute to both parties.

-sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 11:22 AM   #8
cliby
Founding Member

Snell's letter seems almost entirely defensive. At least Motorcyclist raised some good points. I was suprised by what appeared to be a lack of significant evolution in research over the past 10 years - I think that shows the weight motorcyclist's heads carry in terms of economic or political clout. Snell neglected to comment on the very significant point raised about using identical standards for different size (presumable weights) heads. Hopefully this will focus some attention on a field that could benefit from added research. I would also hope the motorcycle manufacturers could work together to actually fund such research to further their customers interests. If the effort/money to protect our heads was evolving at a fraction of the pace that sportbike R&D was moving, I'm betting we'd all have very differnt head protection.

cliby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 11:52 AM   #9
wwalkersd
Founding Member

Round objects? Car fenders & bumpers, trees, posts (fence-, lamp-, sign-), public trash cans, some guardrails, mailboxes (at least the edges), Jack Russell terriers (they're football-shaped for a reason, according the bumper sticker I've seen on a JR owner's truck), etc. Plenty of round stuff out there to hit. The Snell response mentions a Euro study that says round objects are the _most_ likely impact point (but then the Euros aren't as obsessed with straight lines and right angles as we 'Murcans are).
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 12:01 PM   #10
johnnyb
Founding Member

i enjoyed the Undead comment. I can remember Art Friedman holding forth on this same topic at least 10 years ago, and at various intervals since. Personally I would rather read about uh, well almost anything. How many pages they give that in Motorcyclist? talk about your dearths of ???
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote