Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 05-18-2005, 03:04 AM   #31
ironbutter
Founding Member

Default Re: Snell vs. Motorcyclist

IF the Snell certification costs between $30 and $75 then makers of some popular value-priced lids are selling Snells at unbelievably cheap prices, in fact you can get them from discount netmongers practically free--all you're paying for is the Snell badge! Wow, I wonder how they stay in business doing that?

All the real-world stats say wearing a certified lid of some kind is what's important, not what certification(s) it has. But the Snell badge is still desirable, if for no other reason because of their stiffer compliance policies. DOT is a decent set of standards but it is to some extent honor-system, so if the lid didn't come from a company with a good reputation to protect you can't be so sure about it.

Snell has a good point that they are not the reason high-dollar lids are high-dollar, and people should not be shying away from them because they think they're paying a whole lot for something of little or no value.
ironbutter is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-18-2005, 03:49 AM   #32
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

A 60 mph drunken driver induced highside waaay out in the middle of nowhere. Landed flat on my back with a medium hard blow to the back of the helmet, followed by a slide of approximately 45 feet across pavement, then a gravel shoulder, into a large pile of freshly dynamited boulders. Seperated shoulder, mild abrasions and contusions. Helmet had the shell abraded through to the liner in one small spot in the rear. I put the helmet back on, duct taped the holes in my cordura jacket, popped my shoulder back into place, took and Advil and rode 300 miles back home.

-sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 04:07 AM   #33
tumbler
Founding Member

Default Re: Snell vs. Motorcyclist Magazine

Trying to get better helmets is a good thing, but it seems to me that getting safer, yet more practical, riding gear (gloves, boots, armor, etc.) are where more innovation and testing could come into use. If I remember right, the motorcyclist article referenced a study that suggested a person would be seriously injured or die from other injuries in a crash that caused the same results from a head impact while wearing a DOT approved helmet. I tend to think more about broken bones, road rash, punctured organs more than what certification my helmet has.
tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 04:20 AM   #34
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Much ado about nothing.

I was riding home on New Years Eve in 1979 on Rampart Blvd when a drunken illegal ran out in front of me. I went down on my face in my brand new full face generic cheapo Kmart helmet at about 35mph. It protected me just fine. You should've seen the bone sticking out of the illegal's leg. His friends tried to get me to flee the scene of the accident.

I'd say that any decent modern helmet is going to do a good enough job for street/interstate/canyon riding and that this bickering about Snell vs DOT is pretty senseless.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:45 AM   #35
bod
Founding Member

Default Re: Snell vs. Motorcyclist Magazine

Hey, at least people are wearing helmets. But as to wether people hit flat objects I dunno, seems to me that the last "crash" I had involved a nissan the rear window was flat Impact #1 the rear part of the driver head rest was soft but not flat Impact #2 but what really hurt was my foot that hit something on the car I'm not sure what but as I wasn't wearing steel toes I find this to be my fault. Hey do you think we can get some oganization to research boots and the g force which our feet incurr upon impact with the steel toes of the interior of the boot which I now wear Hmmm.....
bod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 05:02 AM   #36
SRMark
Founding Member

Those little bike helmets do an amazing job of protecting heads. Plus, you can see when an impact has had an effect on the helmet's integrity. I was riding a mountain bike about 10 years back, flipped over the bars on a rocky downhill section and landed squarely on top of my head on a large, pointed rock. I was unable to get my hands down on the ground prior to my head making impact and I was initially concerned about spinal damage to my neck. After being checked out by my riding buddies (never hurts to ride with EMTs) I was able to resume riding. The large crushed spot on the helmet saved me from some very serious head damage. I just had to be sure that on the way home I didn't land on that part of the helmet again. I think it cost me all of $30 to replace that lid. I recently bought a new Bell bicycle helmet for the same price.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 05:03 AM   #37
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Much ado about nothing.

ditto...

I flipped my 380 CZ on the street in front of my house doing a mondo mono dude, in '79 wearing my 3/4 Shoei. Back of my head hit the pavement like a ton of bricks and took a half-dollar size chunk out of the helmet. A friend of mine did the same thing a few months earlier without a helmet and kicked. Another friend was drunk and hit the curb doing about 25 mph without a helmet and permanantly rattled his marbles. If they'd been wearing even the cheapest Kmart helmet most likely one wouldn't be dead and the other wouldn't be on disability.

Argueing over standards is fine, but once you get past "novelty" helmets any one is going to give you a better chance than not.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 05:10 AM   #38
tumbler
Founding Member

You make Martin Riggs from Lethal Weapon look like a *****!
tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 05:57 AM   #39
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Go back and look at the Motorcyclist article once again, especially the conclusions. Your EXO700 will be just fine. Even though it did score at the bottom of the MC test it's still a great helmet, years ahead of what was available just a few years ago, and infinitely better than not wearing a helmet at all.

I like mine a lot.

-sbp
Old 05-18-2005, 05:59 AM   #40
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

I purchased my first ever pair of reading glasses specifically because of Motorcyclist ! The bastards!

-sbp