Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 05-17-2005, 05:11 PM   #21
Caravan
Registered Member

Default Re: Snell vs. Motorcyclist

Well, at least the article generated a response. I've crashed and trashed a DOT helmet on a "flat" surface (if multiple 'boings' while sliding indicate only a flat surface) without a head or neck injury. I'd really like to see testing on helmets that put some energy absorbing material on the outside of the hard shell to see how they would fare.

Helmets, not just for the timid anymore....
Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-17-2005, 05:55 PM   #22
jdsmith
Registered Member

Mine isn't terribly exciting--low side at 40 mph against one of those flat surfaces. I didn't even realize that my Snell-certified Shoei struck the ground until after I removed it and saw the damage. My friend, however, high-sided 6 weeks ago on the track in Phoenix at an estimated 90 mph. Had to be airlifted to Maricopa Medical Center. Broken ribs, broken clavicle, and plenty of black and blue. No neurological damage at all, though. A Snell-approved Arai saved his life. Even if it costs $35 for the certification, I think I'll spend the money rather than gamble.
jdsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 07:02 PM   #23
Fenton
Founding Member

So, don't aim for round stuff.

I sure am glad that the Snell letter pointed out that the SUV driving, Survivor watching public, is too smart to fall for any marketing smoke screens pitched by big corportations. I got to go, wrestlings back on.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 07:20 PM   #24
schneids
Founding Member

Well, what strikes me odd is that the rest of the world

does not use snell standards. something just isn't right here.

Shoei and Arai both go to considerable costs manufacturing

lids that are not snell standard to sell to europe. why would

europe refuse a snell helmet? the helmet G's vs head injury

make sense to me. Whats wrong with a helmut rated at

200-250G's. I might import a Shoei from europe.
schneids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 08:01 PM   #25
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Jim's Helmet

Did it have a little propeller on top?

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 08:19 PM   #26
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

I have three:

1.) 1997 Arai Signet... Roadracing highside, upside-down and backwards landing directly onto the back of my skull... eggshell/spiderweb cracking of the helmet's fiberglass and slight deformation of the EPS liner at point of impact..... Grade II concusion for me and a bit loopy (debatable as to how long the condition has persisted). Certain death without the helmet.

2.) 2000 Malcolm Smith (MSR) Ultralight MX helmet.... Supermotard racing highsided into a 90MPH-slide with multiple small helmet impacts, ending with a glancing blow to a concrete wall. Helmet was totalled, I was fine. probably would have survived with any helmet, but I would have been a lot less "pretty" to look at afterwards.

3.) 2002 Shoei pro model (Sete Gibernau replica...forgot the exact model#, but top of the line) Roadracing 135MPH low-side followed by feet-first slide accross the track and into the dirt followed by 90MPH washing machine tumble with dozens of light to medium helmet impacts, some against fist-sized rocks. Result: Six broken bones and a very light concussion. Certain death without a good helmet.

Draw your own conclusions - But I'm sticking to high quality helmets that are rated for multiple impacts against various shapes. -Sean
Old 05-18-2005, 12:21 AM   #27
eisenfaust
Founding Member

Default Re: Snell vs. Motorcyclist Magazine

FYI, this month's issue of RiDE magazine (british gear-review rag) has some pretty cool information on helmet testing and results.

eisenfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 03:03 AM   #28
bikervince
Founding Member

"The half life for a marketing gimmick these days is surely no more than a few months while Snell is coming up for its fiftieth anniversary."

Of course he's absolutely right. BTW, where can I get one of these 50th anniversary Snell helmets? I can't wait!

bikervince
bikervince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 03:36 AM   #29
yoavy11
Founding Member

Yes, but they never repeated ANY test, not even the 7 feet drop, on the same area of the helmets surface.

That's Snell biggest testing difference, making sure a helmet can sustain 2 hits on the same outer surface area, 1st hit at 150J & the 2nd at 110J.

yoavy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 04:02 AM   #30
ccmun
Founding Member

Totally agree with all you said. Except, I never rated them #1 --ever. They were always a step behing CW and the others. Plus the right-wing barbs are getting on my nerves.

I was reading that rag the other day, sitting on the can. I had neglected to put on my glasses and was wondering if I was getting old, or if this Nicklelodian format was aimed at the wrong target market.

ccmun is offline   Reply With Quote