Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 05-11-2005, 04:45 PM   #21
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Who's going 200mph??

Amen, VR.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2005, 04:53 PM   #22
pdad13
Founding Member

I must say that the "article" just might be the crappiest excuse for journalism I've ever seen.

No attempt to put the numbers in context whatsoever. Bad, bad, bad. And to make it sound like a large number of us are zipping around at "200 mph" is sensationalist nonsense at best. Time to start calling these hacks to the carpet.

But, I think we can all agree that there are plenty of people who go and buy bikes of all types without spending any real time learning what they're getting themselves into. Some of them will die and the rest of us will suffer for their irresponsible and idiotic actions
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 05:02 PM   #23
jawzx
Registered Member

got a little rantey in my last post, (before I RTFA) but I gotta agree with others, what a peice of utter trash. Since when are a group of poorly-attributed quotes with no real content concidered journalism, let alone good journalism? Jeesh, my god-daughter's grade-school news paper has better reporting, and it's written by nine year olds.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:12 PM   #24
rmdower
Founding Member

Damn, they keep posting stories like that and I am going to have to stop my busting wheelies while I lane split wearing a turtle shell on my head at 5:00 Monday on the 405 after drinking my Schlitz Tall Boy.

rmdower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 05:43 PM   #25
Aero_Doc
Registered Member

Some times when dealing with people, the best way to change their behaviour is to change our own. So, what should we change in order to help educate and train those simply ride for fun instead of ride to live?

Do we havedDuscussion forums on

a) braking, b) cornering c) scanning techniques d) the physics of traction and off camber corners.

Aero Doc

'01 Sprint Perth Australia
Old 05-11-2005, 06:07 PM   #26
Dixit
Registered Member

Motorcycle are getting more dangerous: Despite slightly better tires, brakes or frames, there hasn't be any major improvement in motorcycle safety for the past 30 years. Cars on the other hand, now have impact absorption areas, air bags, and abs even on the cheapiest models. I know that some motorcycles are equipped with abs but they are a minority. The power and speed of almost any 600cc sportbike is already way beyond the abilities of the vast majority of the riders. On the cruiser side , it is a similar story, not so much due of the increase in power, but because they are getting so heavy and big that small mistakes end up in uncontrolable accidents. On these porky monsters, parking lot stumbles now end up in serious traumas necessitating orthopedic surgery. I don't want a motorcycle designed like a car but I think that more progress can be made toward safety without interfering with the driving experience. Other countries have adopted legislations that prohibit unexperienced motorcyclists to ride bikes that they couldn't handle. Maybe we should do something similar. The present popularity of choppers/ modified cruisers also goes again road safety. Have you ever tried an emergency stop under the rain on one of those? It ain't funny.

Dixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 07:00 PM   #27
bill_1
Registered Member

The article is a little sensationalist but not that far off. The points made about training and experience are good but a dose of civility is needed as well. I am an older VFR rider and I like to have my fun, but I am selective as to where and when. The non-rational enjoyment of motorcycling is why we are on the bikes but risk management is not such a bad thing either.
bill_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 09:48 PM   #28
Brent_Meeker
Founding Member

In the article Margit Showalter is quoted as saying, "Just because he can have a Harley and doesn't get the proper safety instructions, he needs to realize that he's endangering himself and his family,". Of course if he had proper safety instruction he wouldn't have been riding a Harley.

My theory is that you should spend at least a 100hrs on a dirtbike before trying the mean streets. I hope it works because my son, who's ridden dirtbikes for 14yrs, is about to get a street bike. He's going for a Suzuki 500 or Kawasaki 550 twin.
Brent_Meeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 02:43 AM   #29
KLRer
Founding Member

Basically the same story was on NBC with Brian Williams May 10. They combined the faster bikes, older riders bits to insinuate that a lot of 40+ guys are biting the dust on bikes they can't handle. And rounded it off with videos of guys doing wheelies, as if those were the 40+ guys. So they took some facts, blended them together incoherently, and produced garbage.

As to who is driving 200 mph, a speed referenced in the NBC report, the answer, is one guy clocked at 200 mph by an overflying Minnesota State Trooper who couldnt keep up--that was several months ago. It was a modified sportbike but I cant recall the model.
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 05:23 AM   #30
christian_gates
Founding Member

Two points:

1) Most of those fatalities are not from sport bikes; the biggest increase in deaths (I don't remember the source) is from mature men riding cruiser-type bikes; and,

2) Our culture has become so safety-conscious, and motorcycles are so obviously dangerous, that they receive about twice the negative publicity of anything else.

Obesity is more deadly than bikes. So is smoking and blah blah blah.

I say ***** 'em. I'm going to get for ride at excessive speed on my 1000RR ('doh! I need to upgrade - the 1000RR is too sloooww..har).

cdg
christian_gates is offline   Reply With Quote