Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 04-25-2005, 10:53 PM   #21
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Un-Constitutional? Not!

Sadly, no, at least not on the grounds you speak of. You are, I think, referring to an "equal protection" argument under the due process clause of the 14th amendment.

Under this protection, a protected group generally has some kind of "immutable characteristic" like age, race, gender or religon. Homosexuality is not considered immutable, so fat chance for a motorcyclist, although I don't think there is a Supreme Court case on point.

The ACLU and the AMA has represented motorcylists on Constitutional grounds from po-lice harrasment, but on the basis of search-and-siezure or freedom of speech issues.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-26-2005, 02:04 AM   #22
cptaebphd
Founding Member

Default Re: Palomar Mountain residents form group to stop speeding motorcycles

I especially like the new ethical standards that the fire chief will now use. To him, a lifetime of "reckless eating" resulting in a heart attack is morally superior than a gravel-induced motorcycle accident.

The chief needs to do his damn job. His opinion is just that.
cptaebphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 02:59 AM   #23
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Maybe you should read the part about speeding. Get back to me after that.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:55 AM   #24
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

A heart attack may not be morally superior, but in my 17 years of firefighting/medic service, I never saw a heart attack victim kill anyone else. I have personally witnessed speeding motorcycists kill and injure innocent people. So maybe the Chief IS doing his damn job.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:17 AM   #25
fdavis
Founding Member

There you go.

I very rarely ride Palomar on weekends due to too much traffic of all types. My wife was almost taken out twice by a motorcycle over-shooting a corner, the second time resulting in a crashing R6 and rider barely missing her.

The idiots that can't control themselves (ride within their limits) and those that feel they are the only ones with the right to use the roads are the biggest problem in my opinion. And just try to explain to them that they are ruining it for everyone. Good luck.
fdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 05:17 AM   #26
tumbler
Founding Member

But didn't the heart attack victim cause a much heavier than a motorcycle vehicle to go speeding up twisty mountain roads at elevated and arguably dangerous speeds to get to the victim? Can't an ambulance cause much greater damage in a collision than a motorcycle. These fast food eaters need to be delt with, the are obviously a menace. How much longer are we going to let high caloric diets and old age keep endangering the public!?!

On a more serious note, I know I get a pissed when I see people speeding down my neighborhood road, and I don't even have kids or a dog or park in the street so I can relate a little.

The only thing I really have a bone to pick with is the idea of lowering the speed limit to 35 to nab the people travelling at 55, which is what the posted speed limit is now. So do they want everyone to slow down or just the people going obnoxiously fast because if they weren't following the 55 speed limit they sure as hell aren't going to observe the 35 one.
tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 06:03 AM   #27
Iman01
Founding Member

You are right on with that first paragraph.

That second paragraph just makes me wonder a few things... Just rambling here, not to offend:

Would it also deter you from speeding if you knew that on every mile of the road was an automated radar that would e-mail you a ticket every time you were speeding, or violating any other moving violation? We could do away with all traffic officers and save a lot of money.

Or is the problem that the fine money goes to the government? Would it be better, for you, if they took something from you, when you break the law, that they could not use?
Iman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 06:16 AM   #28
seruzawa
The Toad

It's all about one thing. Money. Don't ever think that anything else motivates the govt. If they really cared about public safety the police would spend most of their time investigating property crimes and crimes of violence. In most localities the police don't bother to investigate burglaries at all. The reason: it doesn't pay. Speed enforcement for the most part is simply lazy revenue generation. The other big revenue source for LE is the stupid drug war.

The cops don't need more federal money or special permission to arrest these reckless drivers. One wonders why they haven't already.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:29 AM   #29
SRMark
Founding Member

Gotta love the great leap forward in going from 55 to 35. How's about 10. Hell, raise the speed limit to 80 and no one will be speeding. Morons.

A better solution would be to seed the area with snakes. That'll slow down the bikers in the turns and help with the rodent population.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 07:09 AM   #30
tumbler
Founding Member

Uh, yea, so ah, I think it's okay to ticket people racing by peoples houses at 100 or more. It's total conspiracy to just raise revenew, big brother watching, man keeping me down, enter feable attempt to perform secret handshake, backing slowly out of black panther malitia secret lair, fight the power...
tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote