Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 04-20-2005, 11:40 AM   #21
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default I'll reply

Eric,

You really shouldn't....oops, the doorbell is ringing. I'll be right back....maybe.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-20-2005, 12:10 PM   #22
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Be cool in the Santa Monica Mountains

I have nice empty roads within 45 minutes. I can take my .357 in my saddle bags and pull off most anywhere and bang at all the cans I want without being hassled by the Gestapo.

And as an added bonus, when I go I don't have to lock my house.

Return to LA? Ha! Never!

And most importantly I don't get those unhinged flyers from that loon, Rep. Henry Waxman, anymore. Polygamists are paragons of virue and sanity compared to that corrupt nutcase.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:21 PM   #23
cptaebphd
Founding Member

I think "Tuna Canyon Road" is hilarious! Is that where the ladies of the night hang out?
cptaebphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 12:30 PM   #24
cptaebphd
Founding Member

Default Re: Middle-aged hotties on Spanish Fly

After a certain age, the little head realizes that comely 20-year-olds are no longer forthcoming and must shift to more possible options. This inevitable process gets really ugly when you reach 70....
cptaebphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 12:38 PM   #25
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

I live in Idaho but ride significant miles in SoCal at least 8 times each year and have done so for many years. In fact I have ridden in about 40 of the 50 states in this interesting nation of ours and enjoyed myself everywhere.

While I particularly enjoy the wide open spaces and nearly empty roads of Idaho, Wyoming, Montana and Utah, I also enjoy the roads of SoCal and Az nearly as much. Everyplace has it's own set of charms and bad features. Last time I checked, it was a little difficult to ocean surf in Utah. The Santa Monica mountains are simply beautiful - cops, squids and rockslides be damned. The wine country around Santa Barbara and the hills around Gorman are a treasure (especially this time of year), and Spunky and Sand Canyons are probably unique for just about anywhere.

You want to gripe about the denizens of LA, rapacious cops, squids, etc., well we got plenty of those up here to. The difference is that since the population density is so low there just aren't as many of them in terms of raw numbers. Idaho and Utah have some of the most dour, anal retentive, still pissed about being spanked at birth, cops anywhere (except the sheriff in Manila, UT who rocks), and a visit to, say, Preston, ID at even one mph above the posted limit of 25 which extends well out of town will quickly convince the uninitiated.

my 2 cents

-sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 03:00 PM   #26
ebass
Founding Member

Default Re: I'll reply

Dude, you have GOT to promise me that if you ever get jiggy with the Overstock.com babe that you'll let me smell your fingers before you wash them! I promise not to try to lick them clean or anything weird. Just a little sniff, OK?!
ebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 06:11 PM   #27
giuliom
Registered Member

This too shall pass. OTOH, I must say that I go up the Crest almost every weekend, and there are plenty of very stupid motorcyclists. Example 1: if you take a left-handed curve riding right on the yellow line, when you lean a lot you are going to be in my lane by a big margin. If you are lucky, it's me, if you are not it is a ranger's truck and you are history.

I don't mind people going fast. I do want them to know what they are doing, and many do not.
giuliom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 06:12 PM   #28
seruzawa
The Toad

Well, sbp, I was born in LA, heck, my Dad was born in LA for that matter. I've simply had enough of it. I left in '82 after 34 years of it and I have no desire to move back. There are no advantages to it that outweigh the disadvantages as far as I'm concerned. I go every couple of years to visit family and that's quite enough.

Most people like SoCal better and that's why they move there. Good. That means they aren't here.

Utah and Idaho are far worse than you describe. Yes. So everyone should stay away. It's simply horrible here.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:21 PM   #29
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

I have no desire to move back to KY either (where I spent 28 years) but that doesn't mean that it's a bad place. For some people, in fact, it's the best place in the world. And in a purely objective sense it's probably about the same as everyplace else that doesn't have surfing within 1 hour of pretty good skiing, world class riding, a dozen or so tracks, access to world-class art, etc.

Not that I am about to give up on my own corner of paradise up here in my own private Idaho, but I can, with little effort, recall many places on this sorry earth much worse than LA.
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 06:02 AM   #30
SRMark
Founding Member

I have no problem with police enforcing laws and trying to prevent reckless endangerment. Canyon riding may be fun but take the stupid stuff to the track. I also ride a bicycle on twisty roads. Those nutcase racer wannabees will take out a bicyucle in a heartbeat. I don't mind if squiddly-diddly kills himself, but I do mind when squiddly kills me.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote