Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 05-01-2005, 04:34 PM   #61
rvfrules
Founding Member

Default Re: It Ain't The Tool

Well said, Fred! Keep the good writing coming, MO!
rvfrules is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-26-2005, 01:24 PM   #62
atk74seattle
Founding Member

Good to see Fred here! Been reading his excellent material in Motorcycle Consumer News for years.
atk74seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 11:52 AM   #63
itsings
Founding Member

While I conciede your point I would point out that on the street there's that nice left hand lane sitting there. And if it's clear, it provides LOTS of SAFE room to pass on the inside.

Though I think your last comment about following them and talking to them had lots of merit. The article says the guy wished "they" would have stopped and talked to him at the coffee shop??

Come on!!! he just totally embarrassed them, what are the chances that they would have stopped to talk about it??? NOT realistic at all...

Though I MUST say I really enjoyed the article...
itsings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 12:08 PM   #64
itsings
Founding Member

This only works if you conclude "joe average" not being a very good rider???

I don't know what the "average" rider skill level is? So I'm not saying I'm right and your wrong or anything. Just that the reason the instructers at CLASS can run by everyone on SV's is because there hella good riders! WAY better than average... But they would be riding around the track even faster on a better bike. (they just have no need to do so)

Take an average rider and time him/her on the track a few laps riding a Buell/SV. Then give him an CBRR/GSXR 600 supersport and time them a few laps. If he's a decently skilled rider he should be able to ride around the track faster with the better bike.

itsings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 03:29 PM   #65
BillyO
Founding Member

"The older I become,the faster I WAS."
BillyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 03:47 PM   #66
azicat
Founding Member

While I can see the point that Fred and is friend are trying to make, I also think they seemed to have ignored another truth about the motorcycling industry and culture. Yes, he made a valid point about safe riding and the validity of riding within one's experience - but if the ex-racer was truly concerned about safe road riding, then should he have stuffed a decrepit old BMW with worn-out suspension up the inside of a pair of "inexperienced" young riders?

The fact of the matter is that the modern motorcycle industry in the Western world is a leisure & recreation industry, similar to skiing, boating, tourism, and so on. The industry survives on the concept of fun, escapism, and fantasy. Utility motorcycling nowadays is more of a niche. Those 'inexperienced' colourful squids that one sees every weekend up the canyons are no less a valid expression of the enjoyment of motorcycling than the hard-core daily rider & commuter. Yes, they should still ride sensibly, and yes, one should ride within one's limits. However the industry is supported by the idea of 'aspirational machines' and the rider sitting on his Hayabusa is just as entitled to getting enjoyment from riding it as the guy on the crumbly old CB750, even if he's not pushing it at 300km/h all the time.

Yes, "it ain't the tool", but if people weren't interested in the tools of motorcycling then the industry would simply collapse. These "tool buyers" also happen to be putting food on the table for journalists like Fred and Motorcycle.com by buying magazines full of reviews & advertorials.

(

Yes Fred, I can understand the point of your story - in the same way a whizz-bang camera doesn't make you a better photographer. Just don't stop others from enjoying themselves in a little race-replica escapism by dressing up, as long as they are riding safely & sensibly. If every one was made to buy a bike that only meets their skill level, a heck of a lot of us would be stuck on Virago & Ninja 250s for the rest of our lives.
azicat is offline   Reply With Quote