Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 04-06-2005, 12:13 PM   #51
tomk2
Founding Member

Default Re: It Ain't The Tool

"Sean Alexander on a 600cc I-4 will smoke Sean Alexander on a Buell"

That's true... but then here in the real world Joe Average on a good street bike like a Buell or an upgraded SV or similar will get a leg over Joe Average on the latest race replica Supersport
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2005, 12:41 PM   #52
ebass
Founding Member

If you're comparing Fred's homespun, feel good, warm milk and cookies staw-wy with the edgy vitriol of The Angry Bitter Little Man, then I'm guessing you probably think Mariah Carey is like a modern version of Wendy O. Williams
ebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 03:10 PM   #53
balpo
Registered Member

There is a part of this that is being overlooked. Fred - feel free to reply - because I 'd like to read it. Knowing and having experience with the tool is a truth. But, there is something not to be lost - if you have never had real quality in your hands - it still is a source of lusting after. It's a totally different experience with certain things - like those race compound tires - that one doesn't have an appreciation for until you have experienced. Granted - there is little point on wasting race compounds on oneself if you are still learning to ride, but no matter how skilled you may be if there is something truly far better it is a taste to be savored. And unless you have no experiential inventory for comparison, the extremely good product will still have a deserved magnetism. So, when a much better yoyo came along who didn't lust after it?
balpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 03:30 PM   #54
ebass
Founding Member

I've got bad news for all of you. I just tested all of the new litrebikes 2 weeks ago and I'm here to tell you that the new Gixxer 1000 is so f*cking sick that I'd put KPaul on one blindfolded sitting side saddle and I'd bet cash money he'd still be lapping Beemer-man on an open track. When it comes to that bike, it's the tool. Oh Sweet Jeezus, is it the tool!
ebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 03:45 PM   #55
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Cool... Were you by any chance wearing leathers "complete with titanium kneepucks and [a] stylish new 'hump' on [the] back"?
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 06:18 PM   #56
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default So true so true, it ain't the tool....

A few months ago a friend of mine on his old worn out GS500 Suzuki and me on my XB12S Buell and a another guy on a nearly new Kawasaki 636 Ninja went for a ride out to Canyon lake.

All was well until we got to the first light and I smoked his ass off the line. What the hell he says the magazines say my bike is faster then your's 0-60. I tell him "You got to rev a 600cc bike to go that fast off the line".

So off we go, the Ninja pulling wheelies and riding to high speed off into the distance.

Then we get to the twisties, riding at what I thought was moderate pace me and the guy on the GS500 left Mr. 636 far far far behind. So far behind we stopped and started to turn around thinking he had gone down.

Nope, here he comes at a pace a Gold Wing could easily keep.

So it's so so true, it's the man behind the tool, and not the tool!!

gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 08:40 AM   #57
fzcaster
Founding Member

Default Re: So true so true, it ain't the tool....

Thanks Fred! Keep'm coming!

I guess we already know that the new Gixxer rocks, based on Maladin and Troy Corsers results in the AMA and SBK series.

So we wanna know when Suzuki's coming out with a GX1 nekkid! Please!
fzcaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 03:21 AM   #58
fizzchem
Founding Member

It ain't the tool, but it is imperative that one must learn to adjust the tool for one's preferences.

Sad to say, the editors of this magazine lack that knowledge.
fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 09:38 AM   #59
Hawkster
Founding Member

While I really liked the overall message of this article, a couple of things rubbed me the wrong way:

1) Mr. Rau comments on the other riders' bikes and gear, states that "...they looked like very serious riders." Then, he goes on to criticize their riding skills, stating that, "...the illusion was quickly dispelled as we went around a few curves together."

In my book, riding skills and seriousness about the sport we all love are two different things. The riders in question could've easily been just as serious about it as Mr. Rau and Mr. Fulton, just not nearly as experienced or skilled. Even though "each rider hung radically off his bike to touch a knee to the tarmac, their line through the curves was wide and undisciplined," at least it sounded like they were wearing quality safety gear. I wish more people would. To me, that makes them more serious than the garden variety squid. (FWIW, I don't think the street is the place for getting a knee down, either. So that knocks them down a peg, too.)

2) Mr. Fulton "zipped past them both in a heartbeat - on the inside." IMO, this is irresponsible behavior on a public road, unless we're talking about a multiple-lane mountain road.

Granted, in Mr. Fulton's case, we're talking about an extraordinarily skilled rider. But what of the riders he was passing? Heck, most well-run track days don't allow inside passing in the novice groups... because it's not safe to spook, or even distract, a less-skilled rider in a turn.

I know he did it to initiate a conversation with the less-experienced riders, to "...talk them into getting some decent training." But someone with that much cred could've just as easily followed them until they stopped, said, "Hi, I'm Walt Fulton, four-time Daytona winner. Mind if I have a word with you about your technique?" If they were truly serious riders, they would've listened to every syllable like gospel! If not, you'd know for sure you were dealing with posers.

Anyway, other than these two, minor quibbles, it was a great article and I look forward to reading more from Mr. Rau!
Old 04-11-2005, 10:05 AM   #60
tumbler
Founding Member

I was riding last weekend down in the hills of southern Indiana with a guy in his twenties, like myself, and his fifty-something father. I was still breaking in my new z750s, the other whipper-snapper on a BMW K1200 something or other, and the old salt on an FJR. Myself and the Dad were considerably faster than my buddy, but I did notice the bikes didn't seem to matter much, especially since this was the street and not the track and even though we were moving along at a good clip, a margin of safety was left by all of us. The old guy couldn't leave me even when he tried to on his favorite twisty road, but my butt was pukered in a few of the turns and he was smooth as silk. I thanked him for the riding lesson at one of the stops while we waited for his son to catch up.

Okay the point of my story A: Fast riders are fast reguardless of bike choice B: My stardard z750 that I had to baby a little, being new, was much easier to go fast on than the race-rep I traded in for it. C: FJR's are plenty fast to have a great time on and maybe not beat us youngun's, but they sure can teach us whipper-snappers better riding technique...

Quote of the trip: "Jeez Dad you really lean that FJR over!" "Lean it over, I'm not even scraping the pegs..."
tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote