Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 04-06-2005, 06:06 AM   #31
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: It Ain't The Tool

Longride, the golf club thing is dead on. I've played all my life, and often asked about the latest $500 dollar driver. I just tell them to spend the money on lessons and they will be well ahead. Now if I could find a Taylor Made driver with a shaft by Temingoni........
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2005, 06:10 AM   #32
christian_gates
Founding Member

I would like to ascend to the pulpit, but first let me congratulate MO on getting this guy to write. Crusty old-timers laying out some fire and brimstone wisdom are awesome.

For all of the "my bike is slow but I'm fast" people out there - recognize that in equally skilled hands, a superior tool will be, in fact, superior. So while a competent or expert rider on a slow bike will be faster than a ridiculously incompetent one who runs wide in every turn on a fast bike, Sean Alexander on a 600cc I-4 will smoke Sean Alexander on a Buell, Sportster etc. etc.

Sportbikes are as much beautiful engineering as they are "tools" and the measure of that engineering is in their theoretical performance limits. An 883 Sportster won't win any Burger Barn posedown races for the same reason that it won't win any World Superbike races - it's relatively slow when operated by riders of equivalent skill.

This does not mean everyone should line up for a Desmosedici, of course, because the pleasure of operating any motor vehicle is not measured by the spec. sheet, but within a fairly broad latitude, performance is more or less measured by the spec. sheet.

And before mounting your 16-hand horse to abuse men who prefer sportbikes, remember that a competent craftsmen can succeed with the wrong tool or a bad tool - but won't typically choose one except to bully, teach a lesson, or adopt a challenge.

cdg
christian_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 06:14 AM   #33
seruzawa
The Toad

Ha! Fred obviously is completely unaware of the divinely inspired concept: The Cost/Performance Ratio.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:19 AM   #34
johnnyb
Founding Member

ouch.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 06:29 AM   #35
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Boy o boy, I just can't wait untill the next 600 shoot out! VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 06:40 AM   #36
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Cost/Performace ratio is exactly why I ride a usedTohatsu Runpet. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 06:56 AM   #37
SuperBill
Founding Member

Welcome, Fred. Glad to have you contributing to this forum now that you’ve (mostly) left MCN. I only hope that you took a close look at the MO crowd and our postings BEFORE you hooked up with us. We’re a strange bunch, here in the anonymity of the internet – not nearly as civil (nor typically as well informed) as MCN readers. We are, however, a whole bunch funnier, and we do have our occasional flashes of brilliance.

By the way, my personal favorite "Inarguable Motorcycle Truth" is, "ItÂ’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast than it is to ride a fast bike slow."

SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 07:44 AM   #38
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

You're the one who had to make the big speech about being "43 and no longer on the Up escalator of the ol' learning curve."
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 08:21 AM   #39
SRMark
Founding Member

You're still in your prime Burnsie. You wrote better than most back in the day and now you've had experience to hone your pen. Ya' old bastard.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 08:25 AM   #40
SRMark
Founding Member

You really want to see an older master with tool knowledge, ride behind Malcolm Smith. He'd beat me on a pogo stick.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote