Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO vs. World (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/)
-   -   Motorcyclist Calls 911 and Is Told ''Too Bad''. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/2709-motorcyclist-calls-911-told-too-bad.html)

trumant 03-24-2005 03:21 PM

Re: Motorcyclist Calls 911 and Is Told ''Too Bad''.

Thanks for catching that.

EricZZR 03-24-2005 04:59 PM

I have alwasy been of the opinion that most cops would be in jail if they weren't cops. I got the poop kicked out of me for no reason whatsoever in Chicago by 8 cops in 1968 and I have never looked at them the same way since. I don't think they liked my glasses.

tomhorn 03-24-2005 05:26 PM

Karma would be getting a chunk of doughnut lodged in his windpipe and being unable to call for backup.

tomhorn 03-24-2005 05:45 PM

Re: Down with Blue

Here in the Chicago area we've lately had a couple of deaths attributed to police use of "non-lethal" Tazers.

tomhorn 03-24-2005 05:47 PM

Amen.

pablocbr 03-24-2005 08:29 PM

Re: Down with Blue

Your personal attack on all cops is un warranted. I come from military/lawenforcement back ground. My best friend is a Highway Patrolman. I have a number of other friends that are in law enforcement. None of which were bullies or are on a power trip. This cop....well sounds like he should be forced to retire. But if you ask me... I'll tell you this...if you break the law

and a cop catches you who's the a$$. You or him?

nokneedragin 03-25-2005 03:24 AM

Thanks for posting, I appreciate it when someone with more experience chimes in.

I've said it and will say it again, police work is tough. However, we all have developed a response to the police, based on our experiences dealing with them. This causes some to get the cops suck attitude. Maybe those that have that attitude deserved the treatment they recieved from officers (ie. street justice), maybe the officers that harrased them deserve to spend time in jail for corruption and abuse of powers. Case by case.

A problem police officers face is the daily presentation to the public. Personally I have never seen a police officer stay stopped at a red light (they just flash em and go), nor have I seen any officer do less than 10 over the posted. This presents a problem, if the public perceives that the officers are above the law, then the laws apply to no one.

Also your point about the large paint brush is true. We often group people for our ego convenience, eco-wackos, gun-nuts, red/blue state, etc. It is endemic to our society, and we all should try to not group eveyone under a conveinant catch phrase. Nor should we say all cops suck....just a bunch.

christian_gates 03-25-2005 04:13 AM

I fully agree that police officers working real crimes have a difficult and underappreciated job. However, I believe that traffic enforcement has led to a lot of the animosity described, and the primary issue - and this has little to do with the police - is that cops are used as tax collectors and insurance adjusters.

If traffic enforcement was focused on reasonable safety and not revenue generation, then I think that attitudes would change. Travelling 80 MPH across I-70 in Kansas is virtually never "dangerous" by any reasonable standard, but I guarantee that you'll get a ticket if you try it for any extended period.

This situation creates a natural adversarial position - cops are doing work that at heart they know is useless when compared to their primary mission, making them bitter and resentful, while the citizenry is enraged at destructive and intrusive financial penalties.

Oh yeah, all-in a DUI costs quite a bit more than $1K. I know many people who have gotten them, and the consensus is about $10K - serious money for most people.

cdg

Nocando 03-25-2005 05:02 AM

I wrote this:

"I am just writing to tell you that I was both outraged and disgusted by the cavalier attitude that Trooper Robert Peasley displayed on a recent 911 call. After reading this article it is incomprehensible that some one in this position could be so heartless and uncaring. Something more than a 15 day suspension should be done to this officer, if nothing else but to serve notice to any one else in his position that this will absolutely not be tolerated."

Nocando

AXMAN 03-25-2005 06:59 AM

I agree that this officer was wrong and should be punished for his remark, it should be noted (I think it has been) that he did route emergency services to the scene and no time was lost because of his remarks.

After viewing TV reports, I noticed that the rider was riding a tricked out Ninja and the site of the accident was an obvious stunters road. I can only assume this young man was out stuntng without a helmet. The report showed a picture of the rider that his friends placed at the funeral. It shows him riding a full wheelie at speed whithout a helmet.

I wonder how many times the police had been out chasing off these riders and warning them of the dangers of stunting and breaking the traffic laws??

I do not have a "he got what he deserved" attitude toward the rider, but I can see a certain amount of frustration that could arise because of the type of riding.