Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO vs. World (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/)
-   -   Road rage, road kill, now road tax! Ugh! When will it all end? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/2688-road-rage-road-kill-now-road-tax-ugh-when-will-all-end.html)

mile_eater 03-05-2005 07:07 AM

Re: Road rage, road kill, now road tax! Ugh! When will it all end?

Right. Then, even Mrs Wolfe would declare.. it would indeed be time to shoot the bastards.

mikenomad 03-05-2005 07:36 AM

Paying per gallon will still make sense as fuel-efficient vehicles increase in number, because gas-stingy vehicles tend to be lighter and do less damage to roadways.

cptaebphd 03-05-2005 07:52 AM

Sounds like a "blue state only" thing. Just imagine the increase in govt size to implement/regulate this monster. More job security for lobbyists.

I thought we were all petrified about Hummers destroying the world, but it turns out that it was really Hybrids that are going to destroy our commuting way of life! But more taxes will save us. Gimme a break.

sarnali 03-05-2005 08:01 AM

The only fair way is a gas tax. The more gas you burn, the more you pay. Jump the gas tax up to $5.00 a gallon and be done with it, As long as all fuel-based taxes are used for road construction and improvement. It's the fair and equitable way to go because no one can say they're being forced into giving up their large vehicales, they're meerly paying for the increased wear and tear they cause on the roadway.

I think commercial vehicales over 15klbs should use a different scale or else it'd strangle commerce, but Joe Blow commuting alone in his Suburban can step up to the plate, or buy a more reasonably sized vehicale that doesn't endanger everyone else with it's size.

Buzglyd 03-05-2005 08:19 AM

The gubment told me SUVs were bad. Now I guess they're good. They told me hybrid's were good but now I guess they're bad because the Man doesn't get as much money.

Maybe we should just give everyone a Suburban and a pack of cigarettes and the deficit will be wittled away in no time.

Fenton 03-05-2005 10:26 AM

If I am getting 13 mpg and some one else is getting 26 mpg aren't I already paying twice the tax base per gallon, given the same amount of travel? I would also be buying the gas with after tax dollars. BTW, I don't own a big or thirsty vehicle.

It does seem anytime a state mismanages funds for any given project some group gets the blame and the bill. Just ask the Golden Gate commuters how they like the toll raise to support the Larkspur ferry nobody rides into San Francisco.

tomk2 03-05-2005 10:57 AM

Not likely, it's "conservatives" pushing this one, on behalf of the oil industry and Detroit. They need a way to make operating gas hog SUVs and vanity trucks more relatively affordable.

Blue Staters realize that if differential mileage rates were applied this program (which is just a neo-con pipe dream anyway) would end up as just another way for the hard working productive states to subsidize the welfare-dependent red staters

http://bigpicture.typepad.com/writin...ates_feed.html

mile_eater 03-05-2005 11:23 AM

There are no conservatives. There is simply one Bi-Factional Ruling Party.

One faction favors big government and big business.

The other fact just favors big government.

Pgbexr 03-05-2005 11:53 AM

"If I am getting 13 mpg and some one else is getting 26 mpg aren't I already paying twice the tax base per gallon, given the same amount of travel? I would also be buying the gas with after tax dollars."

Most excellent point!

BMW4VWW 03-05-2005 11:55 AM

That people, who can read and write, still don't get the fact that the republicans are a big government party is kind of sad, isn't it? VWW