Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 02-11-2005, 05:56 AM   #11
iamz
Founding Member

Default Re: Most Expensive Motorcycle Ever?

I get your point, and in general I would agree with you about government (local, state or federal ) running things, leading to higher costs, but....

We have BFI and WM. They keep their prices about the same. The company that charged me $13 a month provided better service and they were profitable but the owner was ready to retire and WM (highest bidder) bought them out, took over the routes, and doubled their prices. The service is in no way better and I therefore have to disagree with you.

BTW the city I live in provides electricity for less than other communities in the area that have outside providers. (not sure how they do this but I'm not complaining)

The city also provides high speed internet service for $15.99 a month (1.2 Mbps).

They also built a community center with basketball courts, weights, aerobic equipment, swimming pools, racketball courts, indoor runnig track, whirlpools and saunas. They charge me $15 a month.

Did I mentinon we have just about the lowest taxes in the entire metropolitan region (Mpls./St. Paul area).

In other words, if they wanted to provide garbage service, I'm willing to bet it would be cheaper than WM.

iamz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2005, 05:58 AM   #12
sarnali
Founding Member

We're going to have to see your MSF scores and magazine road tests on the bike you're riding before we buy any "I'm fastest" nonsense.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 06:06 AM   #13
sarnali
Founding Member

I think it's cool that the guy ponied up the money for tsunami victims, my cousin and her family were there in Phuket for a christmas vacation and survived by the grace of whatever God watches over them.

If this guy wants to write off $800k to help out and gets a little face time and a bike for it then fine. Those people need all the help they can get.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 06:07 AM   #14
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

I thought all Harleys were $800,100 after including the dealer prep charge and licensing fee's. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 06:35 AM   #15
tomk2
Founding Member

Nope. sorry.... you've got the process right but you reversed the roles.

Local government provides the service at lower cost, WM comes in, pushes massive campaign $$ to local politicians & once they have control the costs skyrocket.

That's what they did in my town & it took 20 years to drive 'em out agian.

Earlier this week there was an article in the local paper about how Waste Management was running a harassment/intimidation campaign against city council members in Petaluma who had voted to award the towns next contract to a WM competitor... hiring telemarketers to generate hundreds of phone calls a day to the council members unlisted home numbers, hiring private investigators to follow them & watch their homes, etc etc.

Just because some mafia goombah style thieves give a few bucks to charity doesn't make 'em good people.

tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 07:00 AM   #16
anrajala
Founding Member

Welcome to the future. We will be governed by ruthless corporations, national governments assume the marginal role that the royalty has today.

Well the good side is that if they mistakenly occupy a country blowing billion dollars a day, the shareholders will change the management.

Bad parts are too numerous to count.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 07:33 AM   #17
nokneedragin
Founding Member

I must disagree, my city ran the garbage service, then WM came in (as stated earlier) and poof most garbage fees have gone up 4 times in 10 years. Not to mention once they where awarded the contract, the bill the very next month went up.

Some privatization can work, this experiment failed.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 07:34 AM   #18
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Plus we have to know how many times he goes to the gym, each week.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 08:17 AM   #19
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

There's privatization, and then there's criminalization. About 20 years age WM wanted to site a dump in a small city in So. Cal. where I was serving on the city council. During the course of examining WM's bussiness pratices we found that strange things had happened to those that got in the way in other locals. These guys are in a business where the profits are in the billions of dollars, and they have no qualms about doing just about anything to get their way. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 09:22 AM   #20
Betamax
Founding Member

Default Re: I Read You Dylanmo: Clarifying: Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot...

uh, I was alluding to the recent middleweight comparo in which Sean apparently kicked butt on a Sportster, sorry if the allusion was too subtle for yah.

Note: beating a "total noob" hardly counts as a$$ kissing, but don't let logic mess with your assumptions.
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote