Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 02-03-2005, 04:41 PM   #52
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Well said: I for-one will not-also perch, like a Carrion Crow!

Each day is a river. Every life is an Ocean. And, any ripple or wave can bring life or death to any of us, without warning.

It is in the letting go that we live. It is in the grasping that we die.

It is in the living with hope in the face of no hope that we are find we are human.

And, in our human bond, we also find, our hope.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:01 PM   #53
cptaebphd
Founding Member

Default Re: Unjust Sentence?

So you see no difference between flying down the bike lane and blowing through a red light vs. doing 35 in a 30? I will resist the temptation to question the soundness of your mind.

What Mr. Johnson did was willfull and reckless. His behavior in no way compares favorably with simple speeding. The result of his action speaks for itself.

My "perfection" has nothing to do with the argument (lame attempt at an ad hominem attack BTW); however, I do assess risks every time I ride and if I do something so profoundly stupid as Mr. Johnson, then I will accept the consequences. This is what being an adult is all about.
cptaebphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 05:07 PM   #54
KillerKowalski
Founding Member

I'd say "D@mn I wish that sign said 35 so that I could be relieved of all emotional responsibility."

If 35 is too fast, then it's too fast, regardless of what the sign says. Speed limits are just a number that somebody picked to be a generally safe speed for most people most of the time, balanced against the convenience of the people driving on them and, sometimes, state revenue. If the road were flooded, 30 might be way too fast.

Now, running a red light when there's even the possibility of someone nearby is reckless, no matter how you slice it. He deserves what he got, plus maybe a few years of revoked license.
KillerKowalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 05:21 PM   #55
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default What's that in the looking glass?

Ain't it funny when some learns a new term like "Ad Hominem attack" and starts wearing it out on the general public without considering if it applies to them too? Ain't it?

-sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 05:40 PM   #56
cptaebphd
Founding Member

Or how about this scenario:

After 3 days strung out on a crack binge, you stake out an ATM and rob the first lone grandma you see. Then you carjack a guy on his way to visit his cancer-stricken 4 yo daughter. You now have the cash and the means to get your next fix. You can't wait! Your heart races as you close in on the street corner where you'll get your rocks. And then:

"You see an opening in traffic, you decide "What the Hell!" you take a (what for you is uncharateristic) chance, and horror results, as an unseen-motorcyclist crosses your path, and you hit and kill him."

Somehow it isn't so easy to relate to this version. The scenario doesn't really matter to the fatherless family.

The lesson here is learn to assess risk in your own life. If your judgement is clouded, you know the chance of an accident is MUCH higher. Only you know the stressors in your life and their impacts on your cognitive abilities. If you operate machinery with impaired judgement, know that this could be the day you destroy a family.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:09 PM   #57
cptaebphd
Founding Member

Default Re: What's that in the looking glass?

Did I say I wasn't tossing an ad hominem response back at him? Bad to assume I wasn't.

BTW, I learned the term about 25 years ago and I assume a somewhat knowledgeable audience. At least you got it. Thanks for the "craniums up" -- I'll try to avoid big words in the future.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:03 AM   #58
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

This case sounds like a tragedy all around. In the Janklow case it's a tragedy that Randy Scott wasn't driving a fully loaded Class A dumptruck.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 06:35 AM   #59
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default Re: What's that in the looking glass?

I will resist the temptation to question the soundness of your mind.

Make that two!
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 07:01 AM   #60
clively
Founding Member

Default Re: Red State Response

Someone else listed the facts & my thoughts already in a reply to your post so I wont repeat them, I do however can't believe how quickly you returned to your repulsive behavior, especially in a story of this type of topic. I used to think you were comical, now I find you disgusting.
clively is offline   Reply With Quote