Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO vs. World (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/)
-   -   Unjust Sentence? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/2658-unjust-sentence.html)

KillerKowalski 02-03-2005 06:58 AM

Re: Unjust Sentence?

As good as people's intentions are most of the time, the threat of going to jail is a part of what keeps –at least some– people from being complete jackasses (jacklows?) on the road.

If somebody rolls the dice for society at large, he should be rolling it for himself, too. That's as close to fair as you can get.

Just my 2¢

mile_eater 02-03-2005 06:58 AM

OK.. I'll grant you... this sucks...

But compare this to what happens when a cop "accidently" shoots someone.

When a citizen accidently kills someone they usually spend at least some time in jail.

When a cop does it he gets a couple months paid vacation, and returns to work there-after.

iamz 02-03-2005 07:02 AM

So if you hit and killed a small child that ran out in front of your car while driving 35 in a 30, that's how you'd console yourself, "I wasn't doing anything dangerous, I was just speeding". The difference between 35 and 30, could be the difference between hitting the kid and not hitting the kid. If you know that statement could be true and you drive 35 anyway, then you are guilty of "...endangering people's lives."

I'm pretty good about slowing down in residential areas and following the speed limit there. Out on the highways and freeways I'm more prone to speeding. And I am at least willing to realize that I am potentially putting people at risk while speeding, because my reaction time and braking distances go up whenever I do.

I won't try and justify it either, because I've got to be intellectually honest, and I know I can't.

seruzawa 02-03-2005 07:02 AM

I'll betcha in 10 days the message will read "Welcome Kook! Your account expires in 364 days."

Whaddya wanna bet?

gniewko 02-03-2005 07:04 AM

I'll raise my hand here.

There is a whole spectrum between "accident" and "stupidity". If you run over someone who jumps out suddenly from behind a bus, that's pretty close to being a complete accident (at least on the part of the driver). But when you kill someone because you ran a red light - while driving in the bike lane - that's not an accident, that's recklessness and stupidity. And stupidity should be punished, especially if it kills people.

Abe_Froman 02-03-2005 07:05 AM

There are degrees of running red lights.....when I'm sitting at one with no traffic in any direction at 10PM on a weeknight, sure, I'll run one. Running up the shoulder with cars backed up four lanes wide and barrelling into a busy intersection when I have a red? Of course not.

I wouldn't disregard any semaphore without knowing it was safe first. Blindly running red lights and stop signs is asking for it.

Grundoon 02-03-2005 07:27 AM

I've gotten so sick of this red state - blue state crap it's gonna make this lurkin' SOB scream!

But, then what should I expect from the guy that thinks the victim needs a longer prison sentance?

Tigercub 02-03-2005 07:41 AM

Re: More, but different...

Wow. Sounds like me talking. Bad things happen to good people and bad people can do bad things and never get caught. ...and well-intentioned voters vote for well-intentioned presidential candidates, who get elected and create a huge mess.

I just have a couple glasses of wine or beer every evening and reality melts away revealing my fantasy world.

ZXDavid 02-03-2005 07:49 AM

If the guy wanted to prove he was really sorry he would pour gas on himself and burn himself up.

If that B a s t a r d killed my dad I would not rest untill he was resting.

nokneedragin 02-03-2005 08:01 AM

I've said it before

If I amy cleaning my gun and accidentally discharge it into my neighbors house killing someone, I would get involuntary manslaughter (probably), plus 6 or so other charges to top it off.

I don't see any difference between not taking proper care, and attention with a weapon, and not taking proper care and attention in/on a vehicle. It should not matter what the weapon is car/knife/gun/baseball bat/chewing gum. You kill someone its murder/manslaughter. I hate it when they put the "vehicular" in front of it. murder is murder.

RIP Randy Sanchez, condolences to his freinds and family