Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 01-23-2005, 07:33 PM   #1
Buttman
Founding Member

Default Re: A movie worth seeing

rikki rocket is the producer...he was the drummer for glam band poison in the eighties. in my eyes this can mean only one thing-the movie is probably going to be a gem!
Buttman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2005, 10:08 PM   #2
ebass
Founding Member

Some of my favorite memories of my time at MO were going to screenings of Biker Boyz and Torque with SA. I had never seen a man chew the backrest off of the seat in front of him before. Watching him writhe and tremble in revulsion was more entertaining than the flicks!

ebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 02:53 AM   #3
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Not sure if the movie will be any good, but the "Real Bikes are Built in Garages" theme is a great start.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:50 AM   #5
kowalke67
Founding Member

Looks like this one has real potential. So long as they don't try to glam it up for mass audience appeal and box office sales it could be good. Sounds like Rikki Rockett is serious about giving the real story of Hooligan culture so it doesn't seem he'll sell out for the $$$. Ah, recently we had Faster to look forward to (IMO it delivered) and now Hooligan.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:42 AM   #6
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

No longer did one have to be a grease monkey to own and ride a motorcycle. The golden age of the dark, brooding Rocker was over, killed off by peppy slogans like, "You meet the nicest people on a Honda."</p>

Heh, and some people call Honda the "Evil Empire."
Looks like it'll be good. I'll go see it.</p>
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 07:01 AM   #7
Steve781
Founding Member

Default Looks Legit

Tim and the Ton Up gang are involved, so it is definitely NOT going to be another torque type nightmare. http://www.tonup.com/
Steve781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 07:19 AM   #8
Tigercub
Founding Member

I totally agree with that!!
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 08:00 AM   #9
Tigercub
Founding Member

This could be the greatest film since "Mars Attacks"!

I'm a follower of this genre growing up in Fresno in the '60s where, of course Harley was king. But, the true counter culture were the Britbike riders for all those same reasons the Jap bikes became so popular. They were light, fast and great handling. The poor reliability came from those guys who didn't know how to work on their own bikes, since this was an essential part of owning a Brit bike. Those guys who complained, but remained in motorcycling bought the new Jap bikes and subsequently changed history.

But, in the Central Valley and West Coast of California the Triumph, BSA and Norton were tearing up dirt tracks. When I came of age (~1972) the Triumphs were still winning at Daytona. So, the logical choice for a motorcycle was to buy a Triumph, even after the Honda 750 came out, which was not known for reliability at that time. The Honda 350 and 450 buzzed like hell at speed and had no more power than a well sorted Triumph 650. The Honda 750 was probably really too good to be true. Little did we know.

What we didn't have is the cafe racer style. The Harley influence was so strong that nearly all customized Brit bikes followed the chopper look.

What this movie looks to be about is the influence of the "Ton-up", "Cafe Racer", "Rockers" influence from Britain on us geezer Brit bikers here in the States that began in the late '70s. That influence ultimately led to us modifying our old Brit bikes to look like the British Cafe Racer. All those parts came from aftermarket companies here and overseas within the last 25 years. And I believe this is what ultimately generated the market for the Hinckley bonneville.

This British bike phenomena really got going in the late 1980s when the price of old British bikes really started going up and many restorations were undertaken. The machines are easy to work on, parts were still readily available and a lot of the old successful shops were still around. There were so many restorations that you wouldn't win anything at the shows, if it lacked one original part. Don't ask how I know that. The movement fell a bit flat in the mid-'90s, but has been accelerating a bit lately now that most of these Brit bikes are finally elegible for vintage status (>35 years old) and their price is increasing.

Motorcycling was reborn with the new Jap bikes and as you can tell a few of us are still suspicious of them. The Harley phenomenon actually followed a parallel path with full factory support. But the old Brit bike culture is truely a grassroots effort.

Anyway, I love the Hooligan logo!
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 08:14 AM   #10
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Totally Off Topic

Who else noticed the new member of the V-Rod family, the Street Rod? It's up on H-D's homepage. I'm putting this here because there's no topic for it yet.