Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 12-31-2004, 07:25 AM   #61
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Save Us From Jailhouse Lawyers and Pettifoggery

Yamahanian, when the "jackboot" start being prosecuted for their needless high speed pursuits, in a manner commensurate with the mentally unstable driver of the stolen SUV, and start refusing to be the brown shirts for our increasingly totalitarian government, I will have more sympathy for them. As for Abe, I'm sure that he is level headed enough not to be going 90 mph in a school zone. When the police quit being the tax collecting arm of the nanny state, and start thoughtfully enforcing laws that are actually crimes with real victims, then, and only then will they engender to respect of the people that they ostensibly serve.VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-31-2004, 09:40 AM   #62
SuperBill
Founding Member

Default Re: Man Sentenced In Motorcyclists' Deaths

Well, you can never put it in those terms. Many Americans believe that it is the purpose of government to redistribute (usually someone else's) wealth. All you have to do is play to their prejudices, and note that while a "liberal" president like Bill Clinton would surely redistribute $80 billion for good and noble purposes, a "conservative" president like GWB will surely use the same $80 billion some nefarious purpose. The intelligent, well educated and thoughtful liberal will then put two and two together and realize that they MUST throw out the baby with the bath-water, and keep the $80 billion close to home, out of the reach of the power-hungry Washington establishment.

It can only happen one American at a time, so get started now!

SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 10:46 AM   #63
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Unfortunately Bill, I believe that most intelligent, well educated and thoughtful people are already libertine in their beliefs. How anyone possessing the above mentioned attributes could have possibly voted for Bush, or Kerry would at best seem oxymoronic. That being said it is imperative. that those of us enlightened enough to hold libertarian values, continue to educate those less that are less informed on the dangers of a strong central government VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 05:49 PM   #64
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

My thoughts exactly. When I engage in sporting riding on public roads I do so responsibly and confine it to locations with sparse traffic and limit the risk to a level below even the risk other vehicles pose to me. Furthermore I leave myself a margin of error large enough to accomodate the unexpected. As motorcyclists we know that a competent rider on a modern high-performance sportbike can safely travel roads at speeds far above granny in her mercury medicare sled, unfortunately traffic laws make no such distinction and are reduced to the lowest common denominator (granny).

As long as the constubulary insist on enforcing the letter of the law as opposed to the spirit, and make an outlaw of someone like myself who poses less risk to others than the average driver, they don't deserve any respect.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 05:56 PM   #65
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

If you think I would engage in a long, protracted chase that endangers others you are obviously not understanding the reasoning here. If I purposefully take pains to limit my playtime to locations where others are not endangered, I am clearly not about to start putting others at risk with a full-scale pursuit. However if I could leave the scene before the chase really got started then I might consider it.

Every action I would take is moderated by the concern for others. As long as police refuse to recognize my good faith and responsibility they will have to contend with people who disregard their authority.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 03:32 AM   #66
pplassm
Founding Member

Yeah. Right. Treaudeau knows everything. Not.