Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 12-29-2004, 12:39 AM   #51
stormcloud
Founding Member

Default Re: the real source of confusion is...

I disagree, simply because (see above post) I've done the no hands on bars thing at a constant 120kmh (cruise control) for 40km. I agree about the faster you go the more difficult it is - simply wouldnt try it above about 120 - I see no need to and would find it dangerous. I also think that movement of the body (be it arms, torso or knees) into the wind helps to turn a bike.- and the faster you are going the more this would be a factor.

I think it works the same way - i.e. initiating a movement of the headstock relative to the tyre contact patch.

Give it a try. Find an open stretch of road with no traffic (or few and far between), find a way of keeping your speed up with hands off the bars, then try letting go and sit up and back, relaxed.

stormcloud is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-29-2004, 07:24 AM   #52
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: So how do you actually turn a motorcycle?

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. -Sean
Old 12-29-2004, 07:45 AM   #53
SuperBill
Founding Member

OK, then, if you canÂ’t body steer, then it must be impossible to ride a bike without hands on the handlebars. However, I share the experience of some others on this thread of actually being able to go long distances without hands on the handlebars, so clearly it is not impossible.

Of course, countersteering is the most efficient way to initiate a turn, and it should be reflexive for the proficient motorcyclist. It will save your bacon when you need it. But itÂ’s not the ONLY way.

I too would love to try Keith CodeÂ’s No B.S. bike. But the first rule of taking a dare is not to follow the other guyÂ’s rules. IÂ’d get it up to about 50 MPH, kick it into neutral, sit up straight, then do a few s-curves and maybe come about completely before I lose too much speed.

Since I donÂ’t have a second set of bars on any bike IÂ’ve ridden with no hands, I naturally sit up straight after I let go of the bars. IÂ’m guessing that leaning over and grabbing the second set of bars tilts the equation in CodeÂ’s favor.

Anyway, as good as he is, heÂ’s not the only ex-racer that has an opinion on this. Reg Pridmore is a big proponent of Body Steering, so there you go.

IÂ’m not the first to say this, but it bears repeating: Use all of the arrows in the quiver and work on doing everything as smoothly as possible. Then you can leave the esoteric physics discussions to the geeks behind you.

SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 08:00 AM   #54
mvtt600
Founding Member

Does anyone here know how to use Norton Utilities?
mvtt600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 09:24 AM   #55
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Ahhh......Without the front wheel being able to turn and arrest the lean with a competing centripital force pushing the bike to the center of the turn's radius, the bike will just fall over.I would love to see someone try to ride a bike (or even bicycle) with the forks welded solid to the head tube.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 10:45 AM   #56
mile_eater
Founding Member

Default So...

I guess I'm the only one that thinks its telling that the self proclaimed motorcycle prophet Kook is trying to teach himself to turn a motorcycle?

Old 12-29-2004, 11:52 AM   #57
Kevan
Registered Member

Up here in Canada we are so much closer to the Magnetic North Pole than you are further south. Hence, none of this physics stuff applies up here.

We rely on the little gremlins that live in the corners and curves to steer the bike around their particular corner or curve. You can start in Halifax and drive to Vancouver without ever touching the bars except to apply the brakes to stop for gas and Tim Horton's doughnuts.

Many Canadian riders come to grief when riding in the States due to the absence of the gremlins. Apparently, they were all driven out of the US when some car manufacturer named a car after them and then sued the poor little fellows for using the name. Your loss, our gain.

Cheers

Kevan
Kevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 11:59 AM   #58
jungkvist
Founding Member

You gotta Norton?
Old 12-29-2004, 12:17 PM   #59
jungkvist
Founding Member

I wouldn't know Kieth Code, in a crowed of two.

And, far as I know, physics are something my grandmother used, when she ate too much.

I do know, after I learned about counter steering, it was a hellava lot less scary going around tight curves.

And, when something laying in the middle of the road...I'm pushing...Not leaning!
Old 12-29-2004, 12:54 PM   #60
billhawley
Founding Member

Default Re: So how do you actually turn a Gremlin?

This wouldn't be the same Kevan that brings Canadian beer to white powdered doughnut eating campground soires (doughnuts of the supermarket kind, not the fabulous Canadian THD's) -- or would it be? Grin.

Personally, I liked the Gremlin with the "slide out baked goods drawer" instead of a hatchback.

This limited production "Grem-bin" was only available in the USA, unfortunately. It turns by leaning the wrong way in turns, and immediately crashing.

Cheers back at ya,

Bill
billhawley is offline   Reply With Quote