Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 11-16-2004, 02:52 AM   #31
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Fatality - A family needs help.

Personally, I though the whole thing sounded pretty fishy, but you never know how a person thinks or writes, especally if they happen to be stressed.

I figured the best thing to do was to ask the most simple question that could be easily answered (What was the location?)...Then, offer my condolances and wait.

As far as making it a Banner-Story...Hey, it gave us something to B!tch about.

Tune in next week...For the next installment of The MOron Tabernacle ChoirÂ’s, Pi$$ing in the Wind, concert series.

Until then goodnight!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-16-2004, 03:50 AM   #32
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: My wife is not a paralegal, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night

Once again KBucket, without any real legal training of his own, calls someone who is fully trained in the area a "dummy".

Any bets as to how long it takes boomgarden to quit attempting to debate politely with Kbucket?

KBucket..... the gift that keeps on giving.

We should send KBucket to Fallujah as a "negotiator". After a few days of his "Islam for Dummies" lectures the terrorists will be begging to surrender.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:53 AM   #33
CRPilot212
Founding Member

In this era of identity theft???

At least some form of identification would be useful for determining a possible "who is it" without waiting for the medical examiner to come back with a finger print and a database search. Based on your paranoid logic, we should have DNA scanners at any point where accurate identification is required and all current forms of identification are therefore, null and void. The dude was riding a Harley down the highway, not ordering bling bling off of Ebay with a stolen credit card. I do agree that the story seems a bit far fetched and lacking of some serious information that would be useful in aiding the author in their quest for useful information.
CRPilot212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 03:58 AM   #34
seruzawa
The Toad

This reminds me of an incident back in the 80's when my boss's stepson was killed by an octegenarian who fell asleep the wheel and ran onto the shoulder of I-15 in Idaho where the boy and his friend were pulled completely off the road, changing a tire. The police didn't even issue a ticket there either. My boss and his wife went up to Idaho to try to convince the local DA to file charges, but the DA completely refused.

The octegenarian was a big wheel with the Mormons in Idaho and the DA was also a member. And so it goes......

Anyone who believes our legal system is the least bit concerned with truth or justice.... well, I've got some WMDs I can sell you cheap.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:24 AM   #35
IceWorm
Registered Member

Thanks for helping me make my point. I guess in the best possible light the police wanted to make sure that the guy on the bike was actually the owner, but surely if they had a registration and or drivers license there would be faster ways to find that out. One gets the feeling from reading the story that the police first concern was to figure out who this guy was, and that would indicate a lack of personal identification. Combine that with a big wad of money in his pocket, fingerprint ID, and not returning all the money and I am thinking this smells a lot like a drug dealer. Speculation? You bet! That is all we can do without information.

Another fishy thing. She said he was going to Atlanta to be a tree climber? Remember she is his girlfriend and I would guess she has spent a fair amount of time around him. Did he refer to himself as a tree climber? I have a couple of good friends who do tree work and I have never heard them use that term, in fact I have never heard anyone use that term.
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 04:43 AM   #36
paul_from_Minnesota
Registered Member

PLease accept my words of being sorry for your loss.

For just a moment, let's assume that the guy was parked at the side of the road (who stops in the middle of the road? You'd get hit!). Why weren't his lights on? (was he on a reliable cycle?) And can I assume that he wasn't wearing appropriately reflectorized apparel? If they are drunk or asleep what would it take?

I am not bragging or spouting here, but my Aerostich has a wide reflective strip on the back that people have told me is almost obnoxiously bright at night. This is also at the bottom of my pants. Could this help in this situation?

The story sounds fishy but really, anything can happen and you should be able to ride I-20 at 1 in the morning with $10,000 in your pocket. May be stupid, but I should be able to do it without fear of the bad guys. We need to remember that it is the bad guys we should blame and punish, not the good guys!

paul from Minnesota
Old 11-16-2004, 05:34 AM   #37
smokingtz
Founding Member

Sorry for your loss.

On another note, why is there a link from the word "motorcycle" to Harley rentals from a story of a fatality? Poor taste MO.
smokingtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 06:45 AM   #40
ccd3
Founding Member

If I actually thought this happened, I would feel the need to be compassionate. However, I think this is one of those mass-generated email stories that floated in. Because it has now been posted on our website, it now has some sort of de-facto legitimacy "Must be true, I read it on Motorcycle.Com". Be careful posting this stuff... know the source at the very least. It is getting hard to filter these sort of things since the Meriam-Webster Corp removed the word "gullible" from its latest dictionary edition.
ccd3 is offline   Reply With Quote