Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 09-21-2004, 06:13 PM   #1
eekadog
Founding Member

Default Re: Talk'n'Ride With the First Bluetooth(R) Enabled Motorcycle Helmet From Motorola

i wonder what they'd say about this in MSF class...
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-21-2004, 06:59 PM   #2
RidinDawgDoc
Registered Member

Default Re: Talk'n'Ride With the First Bluetooth(R) Enabled Motorcycle Helmet From Motorola

Sounds like a great way to end a few more motocyclists lives. Talking on a cell phone while driving an automobile is already thought to cause as much decrease in driving performance as being drunk. Have to imagine cell phone talking while motorcycle riding would have the same or worse affect. Why not just pull over?
RidinDawgDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 07:07 PM   #3
eekadog
Founding Member

I've seen a dude with drag pipes on his vtx1800 riding on the freeway with one hand steering and the other holding his phone to his ear...i can't imagine that he was hearing very much of the convo.
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 09:14 PM   #4
Pinkslip
Founding Member

I agree- calls need not be made while riding a bike. Granted, people seem to concentrate on the road more when they can keep their hands on the wheel (and now on the handle bars) using hands-free sets, but it is still a dangerous idea.

Besides, if the voice clarity is anything like a Chatterbox, people will not like talking to someone on his or her way to the office doing 70 and 80mph on the freeway.

The main criteria for helmets (and all riding gear) are protection, comfort, and style. I'm pretty sure Bluetooth technology won't enhance any of those. My two cents.
Pinkslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 02:56 AM   #5
mile_eater
Founding Member

Default All in how ya use it.

Sounds great to me. Many of my riding buddies have sprint phones... we all have free sprint to sprint calls... any time.... so.... Instant, high-quality comms for our rides.

If some idiot wants to get squished trying to dial a cell phone.. that's ok with me... I just want to make a conference call to 5 other riders before we leave... so we can keep track of each other.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:21 AM   #6
westland
Founding Member

I've never had a bluetooth ... Oh excuse me ...Bluetooth(R)... headset that worked properly (I've had two Sony's and a Chinese noname). Even when they work, the sound is atrocious. I can't imagine adding wind noise and vibration will improve matters. Just my $.02 too.

westland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 05:30 AM   #7
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Shoei and Arai have had years to perfect helmets

Shoei and Arai have had years to perfect helmets. What do you want to bet that this new blue tooth helmet made by people who don't really know anything about helmets, is a pile of stinking cow dung when it comes to use, comfort, fit, wind-noise, etc. Why not offer the head-set alone to fit in any helmet?
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 05:34 AM   #8
maladg
Registered Member

Wow! JUST what I have ALWAYS WANTED - to "stay connected" while I'm out for a ride! Gee, Mr. Wizard - whats next?

I want to be "connected" while on a ride about as much as I want an extra ***hole.

Music, rider to passenger (excuuuuse me; CO-rider), radar detectors...all different issues to me - and pretty darn ok when deployed with common sense.

maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 06:41 AM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

What? You don't want your mother-in-law or your old buddy who's looking to borrow some money calling you while you're out riding?
Old 09-22-2004, 07:52 AM   #10
mile_eater
Founding Member

I dunno about you, but I'd wager Kpaul would love to have an extra A$$hole. That way he could have two friends over!