Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 08-27-2004, 03:41 PM   #41
imported_g_k
Registered Member

Default Re: Squids ruining another great road?

I read the article this morning, and it was pretty disappointing - I'll be pretty nervous next time I head up there.

On the other hand, I recently moved back to America's Finest City (tm), and decided to risk Palomar last month. However, I rode up the "back" (east) road late on a Sunday afternoon, and didn't encounter one car or bike in my direction. I only recall counting 2-3 cars and 2 bikes heading down - the weather was perfect, the road was clean, and I kept thinking there'd been an accident (or maybe a neutron bomb).

Timing is everything - just don't ride when everyone else is doing it. Same with riding to Ramona or Julian - late Sunday afternoons everyone's heading back to "town" and it's pretty relaxing to head in the opposite direction. On the other hand, I'm not riding 100mph, so when I encounter a CHP coming toward me I don't have to slow down all that much.

Your mileage may vary.
imported_g_k is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-27-2004, 04:37 PM   #42
eddyline
Founding Member

Default Re:

Me, I'm partial to the .375 JDJ....
eddyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 04:42 PM   #43
Ken_Eusaukmeov
Founding Member

Default whats a squid?

I always see the term "squid" on MO. What does it mean? Thanks
Ken_Eusaukmeov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 05:10 PM   #44
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: localized overpopulation sucks.

That's what I'm thinkin', 5~6 at a time and I wouldn't even have to talk to them
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 05:20 PM   #45
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: If you can read, the secret's out.

It's the way to go if you can handle the commute. My house, that just appraised @$260k would run about $400k in the city or east side.

2500 sq. ft., 4bd, 3 bath oak and berber floors, center island, private neighborhood, fully landscaped 1/4 acre lot, full-on mountain view, close to schools, stores and 'presso bars. I paid $200k for it on a 3.5% arm a couple years ago.

As long as you behave yourself your welcome.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:25 PM   #46
sarnali
Founding Member

good point
Old 08-27-2004, 05:35 PM   #47
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: whats a squid?

It's an old Motocross term from the 70's

loosely translated "squirrely Kid"= squid

Now it pretty much means anyone who rides way over their head in an unsafe or flambouyant manner (not counting buzglyd and mscuddy with their silk pirate shirts and arm-chaps, they's just that way)

Now if your wondering about the GPTB, thats a secret society who's membership is restricted to those who have proven themselves worthy (buying the beer and being able to hold your mud is the first requierment) we'll make up the rest as we go.......
Old 08-28-2004, 05:10 AM   #48
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Now we know

You're George Carlin! I saw you at Bally's in Las Vegas a few years ago!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 05:12 AM   #49
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: whats a squid?

That eye patch really jacks with my depth perception.

mscuddy almost sounds like a pirate or ship or something. All ahead forward!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 08:49 AM   #50
torrnado
Founding Member

i ride palomar about one to two times per month and it's a very technical, fun ride. unfortunately, the drivers in their 2+ ton SUVs lumber up the road and never use the turnouts to allow for faster moving traffic (bikes and cars, alike) to pass, and you also have the riders who are far too aggressive for public roads who should really be on a track. there is a happy medium, but both sides must give. i would say that law enforcement should start citing those who don't pull out, but i'm biased against inconsiderate idiots.

i would propose a monthly event which would shut down one side or the other for two to four hours and after paying an (affortable) entrance fee of say, $20, bikers can ride up and down as fast as they want.

sadly, what will likely happen is the same thing as angeles crest (where i'm told automotive traffic is cited than motorcyclists now) and their zero tolerance and (special) double fine zones for all.
torrnado is offline   Reply With Quote