Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 08-14-2004, 04:02 AM   #42
saaz
Registered Member

Default Re: R1 vs 911

I would agree that on a road I would prefer to be going 10/10ths in a good car, if only because you have a margin of safety in a car. On a bike if you loose it , it will hurt!

A bike is a lot more fun tho...whats the price difference between an R6 and a WRX???
saaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 04:41 AM   #43
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Wambo ,maybe you have kids. I had 2, so let me explain the thinking pattern of obandoj. A 5 year old will sometimes get stuck in an irrational thinking pattern and whine and cry about this thought even though what he wants most has nothing to do with reality. Nothing can dissuade the 5 year old mind from thinking he is 100% correct. No rational words will sway him. 99.99% grow out of that stage and move on to a higher thought pattern. Our resident 5 year old obandoj, hasn't made it quite that far yet. With the help of his good friend KPaul, he may get all the way up to an 8 year old, at which point he will learn to stomp his feet and hold his breath. Thanks for providing an interesting topic. I learned from it. Good to have you here posting.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:08 AM   #44
motonut_1
Founding Member

A well set up street based car such as the 911 or Viper or Vette can generate cornering forces around 1.0 g. A well set up street bike generates .75 to .80 gs of cornering force. This difference will be due to the tire contact patch and the fact that the driver does not have to worry about falling off and getting hurt. So the car will generate higher cornering speeds. The reason a bike gets around the track faster is due to power to weight ratio. Once past the apex of a corner, the bike will literally smoke the car all the way to the next corner braking point. However, you don't want to compare MotoGP bikes to Formula 1 cars as the power to weight ratio is about the same and the aerodynamics of the car begins to take over in and out of the corners as well. Formula 1 rules.

As motorcyclists we all feel that bikes are a much more enjoyable way to transport ourselves from point A to point B regardless of how fast the bike is. Even a slow bike is much more thrilling to go through a corner on than the best prepped 911. It probably stems from the slight amount of danger that we are all subject to when we lean into a corner. No car generates that kind of sense awareness. The thrill of riding beats the thrill of driving any day.

Both Motocyclist and Cycle World did the car vs motorcycle thing back in the mid 90's.
motonut_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 05:24 AM   #45
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Could you be more specific?

You said I couldn't be a dwarf anymore, I wish you and that other dips**t would make up your minds.

At any rate, since I didn't go to college (I was too busy defending the frontiers of freedom and making the world safe for democracy, like seruzawa, mscuddy and many others) I'm not as versed in physics as you and your ilk.

I would venture a guess that given drivers/riders of equal skill and street legel cars/bikes of similar performance parameters on the track the bike would probably win. I think it would have to be based on lap times vs. an actual race for safety reasons as it's hard to concentrate with a 1.5 tons breathing down your neck.

On the street I'd take the car anytime, in fact I'd rather have the afore mentioned WRX or 911 than an R6 just for gp's (sacralige I know, but I like cars, and R6's were not sized with me in mind), but I digress, you and your fellow engineers go ahead and work your figures and come up with a good model to base your opinions on, I'd much rather read about tire adhesion than your usual political rants.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 05:43 AM   #46
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Stick to insurance pal

I'd say it was your natural inclination to get your ass up and start flaming every chance you get.

This is the first time I've seen you act like a rational, normal person. You should try it more often, it suits you.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 05:47 AM   #47
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default motonut_1

You need to go back find the magazine and read the article talked about above "The most interesting one was Kevin Schwantz riding the Gixxer 1000 and Z06 back to back last year in Motorcyclist. Schwantz has raced pro in both car & motorcycling racing. "

The bike posted over 1 G
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 05:52 AM   #48
stoney8888
Founding Member

Hey I just thought of something(wow). Ithink those guys call you longnazi in referance to a Sienfeld episode with a guy in it that they call soupnazi. He makes the best soup in the whole city. so no matter how much of an a-hole he is, they always go back for more because they love his soup and can't get better soup anywhere else. So I think those guys call you longnazi because you are the best in town. That said I am more than ready for some of your motorcycle review soup(I'm starving over here!!)
stoney8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 06:14 AM   #49
stoney8888
Founding Member

When I use to drive a cage(RX7) I would get a major rush from drifting around corners at 100 mph. If there is no danger of getting hurt, why do you think it was such a rush? ( because I am a wimp is'nt a good enough answer)

your right bikes are way more fun. and on those same corners, I can take them on my bike at the same speed and get more of a rush with no traction loss(drifting).

I would say that the car was easier to learn how to go fast in. the bike is way more fun to learn how to go fast on.
stoney8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 07:39 AM   #50
Shriker77
Founding Member

It all comes to how you want to compare them....

If you go apples to apples, equal grip, power to weight , etc., cars win.

If you compare dollars to dollars vs. performance bikes win.

If you compare ability to extract performance from in variety of conditions , cars win.

Average non cruiser street bike vs. average sporty car , bike wins.

Todays high performance bikes are relatively inexpensive and have very near superbike levels of performance . The VAST majority of people who buy them can never and will never even come close to experiencing what they are truly capable of. Even riders like Schwantz have said top liter bikes are intimidating.......

The MOST important part of a high performance vehicle ESPECIALLY a motorcycle , is its pilot.......so many people focus on the bike or car and cant drive or ride even the most meager bike or car truly to the edge of its performance envelope. Go to any car or bike track day and this becomes painfully evident, newbies in Vipers and on ZX-10Rs that are slower than experienced racers in Mini's and 599's.........
Shriker77 is offline   Reply With Quote