Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 08-13-2004, 09:59 AM   #12
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Re: R1 vs 911

I happened to download the video you're talking about just last night. It is a first-generation R1 against a 996 Carrera 4s. I forget the name of the track but it is not the 'ring, at least not the public part, and it sure doesn't look like the F1 track either.

The car is driven by an SCCA-type race driver, and the bike is ridden by some Euro superbike rider, pro, supposedly.

The guy on the bike is clearly taking it easy in the turns. I don't recall seeing his knee down at all. The car guy is clearly giving it all he's got. Given that they are both on the track racing each other at the same time, the bike guy is probably understandably cautious lest he go down and get run over by the car.

A much more appropriate comparison would simply judge laptimes as the Schwanz article did in which he thoroughly spanked his car times when riding the bike (though who knows, maybe he was just making sure the bike won, as in this video, where they apparently told the guy to ride slow enough that the car won.)
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 10:01 AM   #13
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

P.S.-----

Link to the video in question-----

http://www.mnsbr.com/vids/Porsche_Ca..._Yamaha_R1.wmv
Old 08-13-2004, 10:05 AM   #14
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

I was taught that while 'centrifugal' force is a fallacy, 'centripital' force is the proper and legitimate idea, i.e., the force on an object that makes it accelerate constantly (inward around a point in order to make a circle.) In the case of the centerfuge it is the force of the arm pulling the object in towards the center of the circle. Is that not correct?
Old 08-13-2004, 10:06 AM   #15
Dave305
Founding Member

"I thought it was pretty well known that a race car can corner faster than a bike."

What "race car"? See the posts above. Without significant aero aids for producing downforce on a car, the bike will be faster (given equally skilled operators). Open-wheeled race cars such as F1 can produce HUGE downforce and therefore can corner and accelerate more quickly. Producing significant downforce on a bike is not pratical.

Dave305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 10:22 AM   #16
Woody650
Founding Member

"The guy on the bike is clearly taking it easy in the turns. I don't recall seeing his knee down at all. The car guy is clearly giving it all he's got. Given that they are both on the track racing each other at the same time, the bike guy is probably understandably cautious lest he go down and get run over by the car."

I had exactly the same thought. That rider isn't riding nearly as close to the edge as the driver is, and clearly had to be careful not to get squashed by a car on the track at the same time. Not exactly a fair fight (the rider has far more at risk than the driver) yet the bike only lost by less than a car length.

Comparing lap times between that car and bike on the track at separate times, the bike would have smoked the car.
Woody650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 10:37 AM   #20
Andonyx
Registered Member

Yup that's pretty much it. In the case of a vehicle, there is not object at the center of the circle pulling you in, it's a case of your turned tires are constantly applying a force trying to accelerate you in a new direction.