Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 08-11-2004, 05:41 AM   #1
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Latest Traffic Statistics

"We credit much of this success to increased law enforcement and passage of key anti-drunk driving laws across the country," said Lynne Goughler, vice president of advocacy group, Mothers Against Drunk Driving.

In a press release today Drunks Against Mad Mothers (DAMM), a group that opposes MADD, says that MADD's claims are unscientific, unproven by any facts and just plain silly. "We intend to publish our own studies which prove the ineffectiveness of the .08 legal limit as soon as happy hour is over and we can find the car keys that were last seen in Joe's hands when he was stuffing dollar bills in Tiffany's bra." announced DAMM's Hollywood Chapter President, Nick Nolte.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2004, 06:36 AM   #2
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Leave it to government spin artists to make an insignificant statistical variation look like a trend that supports the need for even more bureaucratic meddling, and futher legislative actions. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 06:37 AM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

I'll drink to that!
Old 08-11-2004, 06:49 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Seriously

Higher gas prices leading to less driving over the past few months might have more to do with it than some mystical penumbra cast by magic spells... er, I mean legislation?

Ya think?
Old 08-11-2004, 07:07 AM   #5
bigjames
Premium Member

In another life I was a statistical programmer for GEICO. The only number that really tells you anything is incidents (accidents, deaths, whatever) per X miles driven. All the other numbers are just fluff. However, you also have to tie the numbers to the cause of the accidents. The alleged 12% increase in motorcycle fatalities and (I assume) the increase in motorcycle injuries also include things like the death caused by the jerk from South Dakota (where many of you MOrons went anyway this month), the idiot who caused my crash in January and left the scene and the many folks who keep getting away with killing us. Would like to see how the motorcycle fatalities/injuries were broken down by cause. Unfortunatly many cops will put down speed as a reason for a crash, no matter what on many cases so the numbers are automatically squewed against us. (Car idiot left turns bike, but bike appeared to be going too fast for conditions on a bright dry day, you know the drill). Raw numbers are just about the worst thing you can use for these stats, but that is what is published as they are so damned dramatic to the media and safety whiners...Never forget, the other name for statistics is lies.
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 07:13 AM   #6
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Seriously

According to the government numbers (we know they must be correct) miles traveled were up. The cost of gas however may have caused drivers to be lighter on the throttle, which resulted in fewer deaths, either that or maybe it was sunspots. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 07:42 AM   #7
kowalke67
Founding Member

Couldn't agree more. Statistics are just something to manipulate to "prove" one side of an argument.

We don't need Gun Control we need Statistics Control.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:42 AM   #8
SRMark
Founding Member

If you rode among the a$$holes I put up with on my local roads you would conclude that there aren't enough deaths on the highways. Darwin can be too slow in removing the excess stupidity from the earth.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 07:42 AM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Impossible.

Miles can't be up. Higher fuel prices automatically translate into lower miles travelled. It is gospel truth as divinely received by algore and the Sierra Club.

How does the govt figure miles driven anyhow? Do they have secret transponders installed in all cars and monitored by black helicopters?

I shouldn't joke. Oregon is actually considering a law that would require all cars to be fitted with such a monitoring device so that all owners can be taxed each year for miles driven in addition to all the current taxes.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:45 AM   #10
johnnyb
Founding Member

excellent use of the word "squewed" i will try to use it someplace...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote