Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 08-11-2004, 08:50 AM   #11
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Seriously

The higher gas prices made more people park their Suburbans and F350's and start driving the Corolla or Accord again.

Having more drivers in vehicales that stop and handle like cars instead of logging trucks allowed them to avoid accidents instead of bulldozing their way into what-ever was in front of them.

When gas hit $2.75 a gallon here I was laughing my ass off at the sad sacks and their $100.00 weekly fill-ups. They're the same people looking down their noses at me filling up my bike on rainy winter days.

I seem to have alot of unresolved anger........better drink some more beer.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2004, 08:53 AM   #12
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Latest Traffic Statistics

Well a little chlorine in the gene-pool wouldn't hurt
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 08:56 AM   #13
Haird
Founding Member

I'd like to see some serious research into why this figure is goig up as well. I suspect it has somethign to do with the growing number of bikes, but an article in last month's Motorcycle Consumer News suggested that the increase in the number of SUVs v. cars is leading to increased fatality rates in pedestrian, bike and motorcycle collisions depsite overall declines in the number of crashes. I also suspect that a lot of inexperienced riders are getting killed on bikes that are way too powerful for them to handle. A high-school age friend of one of my nephews died a few weeks ago on a new GSX-R600. First bike. First week of ownership. No training to speak of. High-sided into a tree. Perhaps mandatory training and stepped licenses aren't such a bad idea afterall.
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 09:00 AM   #14
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Squewed. Definition: an S shaped line of people trying to reach the next available teller at the bank. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 09:07 AM   #15
Yamahanian
Founding Member

Default Re: You Meant Divinely Transmitted!

Al Gore and Sierra Club members are clearly not divine.
Yamahanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 09:10 AM   #16
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Not that I support the government mandating anything, but putting an untrained teenager on a bike like that ought to be cause for having the parent's horse whipped. I ofted wonder why people feel that a little 600 is a good beginer's bike, when it's faster than formula race bikes were when I was a teenager myself. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 09:31 AM   #17
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Old Fart

You're an old fogey now. 10-15 HP may have been enough for a beginner in 1965 but today they call 70 HP bikes like the SV650 "beginner's bikes".

A recently talked a 35 year old friend of mine, who hadn't ridden in 15 years, into picking up a used GS500E to refamiliarize himself... and doing a safety training course also. At first he sat on my GSX1100G and said "I can handle this". Right. A beginner on a 600 lb 100 HP bike. Sure. Anyhow I convinced him to pick up a nice yellow GS500. Nice bike. I'd like to own one myself.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:33 AM   #18
Tigercub
Founding Member

We had an unusual number of bike fatalities here in Sacto in July - 4 deaths. All were related to high speed and stunts. But, all were also related to young or identifiably new riders (a 46 Yr old HD rider - 2 months on his first bike). From my window at night I occasionally hear bikes ripping down the street at redline.

If we don't start taking this seriously the government will take care of it for us.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 09:49 AM   #19
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Unfortunately, you are correct. The Gov is determined to save us from ourselves, and the worst part is most people really want them to.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:07 AM   #20
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Easy use Johnny. Bar B Squewed!