Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 08-04-2004, 10:05 AM   #1
Grover
Founding Member

Default Re: How Spanish Cops Stop Bikes

Thought about submitting this clip myself, and had a similar reaction when I saw it. What surprises me is that the guy didn't see the car coming. It doesn't look like a blind intersection or anything, and if I was making a getaway I have to think I would be particularly acute to my surroundings. That said, this guy got what was coming to him, regardless of the fact that he didn't kill anyone or blow anything up. He was an idiot for taking hostages to get drug money, and an even bigger idiot for trying to make a getaway down what appears to be a major city street on a motorcycle.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2004, 10:10 AM   #2
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

No doubt he is an idiot of the first order. However, I think there were better ways for the authorities to handle the situation, considering the fact that they were the ones who supplied the bike to the bad guy and they obviously had access and some time with the bike prior to delivering it to the front of the bank. -Sean
Old 08-04-2004, 10:20 AM   #3
ebass
Founding Member

I'm thinking a duosport would have been the right tool for the job. Go where the cops can't. Not that I don't adore the R6 but a V-Strom would probably be parked next to a palm tree in Biarritz by now.
ebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 11:02 AM   #4
pushrod
Founding Member

I'm thinking maybe a Sport-Tourer.

Hey, what would be the best big ST for him to use, one wonders?

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 11:11 AM   #5
McCueRC
Registered Member

He's lucky they didn't shoot him. It would have been a "clean shoot".

Grenades have kill zones of meters and shrapnel zones of 10s of meters. Tazering does not always work, especially against heavily clothed targets as the barbs on the taser need to strike and penetrate skin. And you would have to get in close, inside the kill zone, and if it's an armed grenade it still goes off when he loses control of the grenade. (Successful tazer incidents usually have the target drop whatever they have been holding.) So much for waltzing up and tazering the bank robber.

Besides that guy was not going to just pretty baby boy surrender if the bike stopped. 12 hours of stand off and two hostages mean one crazy dude.

The video looks like they took him out at a roundabout / intersection which would reduce the collateral casualties if the grenade detonated. The driver of the car had cajones, would you like to be a target in an unarmored car of a standard issue frag grenade? Didn't think so.

It would have been safer to shoot him.

McCueRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 11:13 AM   #6
F451
Founding Member

No, no you are all wrong...a pocket bike would have been the ticket, that way the cops would have never seen him coming to cut him off.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 11:16 AM   #7
sarnali
Founding Member

The last time me and mscuddy were in Spain, Franco just died and the cops all carried FN FAL's to keep the comunists in line.

I guess they could have ripped off a clip at him instead.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 11:26 AM   #10
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: How Spanish Cops Stop Terrorists

Personally, I would of had some marksman from the La Guardia Nacional get right where the cameraman was, and put his C.I.M.E. (FN-FAL) .308 to good use. Better yet, a Barrett Light Fifty, with exploding rounds.

Why ruin a nice bike?

That, or let him try to get away on a '71 Cyclone.