Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO vs. World (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/)
-   -   Alcan trip (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/2356-alcan-trip.html)

bigjames 03-29-2004 04:29 AM

Re: Alcan trip

Best bet. just get one, doesn't have to be a new one.

bigjames 03-29-2004 04:44 AM

Planning on going in July 2005 or 2006 myself. Been once (on an Electra Glide that turned 100K on the trip no less). Plan on doing it this time with a sidecar! Matter of fact, the mule for the sidecar is the same bike that made the trip in '93. Hoping it turns 200K on that trip. It is not that bad of a trip. 10 years ago only a couple of hundred miles of truly crappy road, but well worth the trip. Also, if you are thinking of taking a show boat up the highway, go right ahead. That crap they put on the highway to keep dust down sticks - permanently - on everything that it couches. have an old set of stock mufflers to prove it....nice shade of brown.....

Just a couple words of advice, double the amount of money you THINK it is going to take and get a copy of the Alaska Milepost (not to be confused with the OTHER milepost) and change you money from US to Canada at a Canadian Bank. They don't (usually) charge for this like US banks do. And if the main motif of the place you are stopping is skulls, well, you pays your money and takes your chances... Don't haul ass on the highway. It can sometimes have pot holes that will swallow your bike (especially in the Early part of summer, and yes, it happend to us back in '93) And finally, if they have a jug of water in a 'hotel' for brushing your teeth, don't take a shower from the tap...don't ask, just trust me on this one, ok? Took most of a week to get the smell of the "tap water" out of my helmet after one such stop.

Shoot, almost forgot the most important thing. Resist the temptation of taking a passenger. It is enough of a challenge solo (especially if you are on a street bike on a dirt portion and it rains), plus the passenger will be bored silly (unless of course you are boring silly nightly, and you won't, again, trust me)!

BigJames

dan140 03-29-2004 05:40 AM

Tudo Bem? I'almost staid in brazil when I vistited there for a 3- week vacation...Wich turned in to 3 months! -The most wonderful country I have seen! I'm in Switzerland now trying to put some money aside so I can go there...I would love to ride the whole coast of Brazil, stopping at all the nice Beaches and Have a few Caipirinhas and spend some time with the friendliest people on this planet-And of course: The most beautiful Girls!!! -You are a lucky man! I hope Lula is doing good things for this great country? Ciao!

bbtowns 03-29-2004 05:52 AM

I rode from Fairbanks to Portland, OR including the Cassiar on a Concours two years ago, two up with my wife. No need for a GS unless you really want to explore off the beaten path. 150 miles of gas range is helpful in one or two spots on the Cassiar, other than that no special requirements other than the usual.

Bryan

TatdNPrcd 03-29-2004 07:47 AM

Darn right.

anrajala 03-29-2004 09:32 AM

Good to see I am not the only one that has seen the light... what EVERYONE MUST do before dying is to come to Rio, buy an used locally made XT-600 Yamaha and take off to north, all the way to Fortaleza via 3000km of costal road, stopping every now and then for a few of days of beach, caipirinha, seafood and beer. Reserve 3 months for this, more if you happen to get so drunk you marry someone.

- cruiz-euro

Holy_Kaw 05-20-2004 09:29 AM

You can also use your MC/Visa credit/debit card to take care of most transactions on the AlCan as you can here. It automatically converts your dollars fairly accurately (the exchange rate constantly changes), it may be some distance between oportunities however...